Where you drew inspiration from in order to create your games?

Where you drew inspiration from in order to create your games?

• Total voters

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry I will narrow the scope: the inspiration that lands in your games? [I understand the think all the time about the ideas]
  • Mythologies:
-Norse mythology​
-Greek Mythology​
-Egyptian mythology​
-Celtic mythology​

• Holy Scriptures
  • Occult [astrology, alchemy, and natural magic]

• Marvel Super Heroes/DC Comics
  • Native Folklores
-Native American​
-Native Islander​
-Native Australian​
-Native New Zealand​
  • Fairy tales
-European fairy tales​
-Russian fairy tale​
  • Science Fiction
-Cyberpunk derivatives​
-Apocalyptic​
-Time travel​
-Space Drama​

Real Science
I don't know biology, chemistry, physics, geology.​
News​
local news​
World news​
Weather news​
I sure this influence the creation of your world myths and great cataclysm.​
That is what I refer to as something material in your games. I mean you can use it as the plots because it is a classic and fun story. Some people used tale characters too. :kaohi: A lot of possibilities.​
[People here like Medival Fantasy, Cyberpunk[Urban Gang Wars], and Space Fantasy]

Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm, this is hard....
Most of the time I follow what's trending without bother about source.
From various games / series I guess.

What I do notice is I always tried to avoid asian culture. Other than martial arts, the rest is just not to my taste.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything apart from Marvel. lol. Why is Marvel an option? Marvel used mythology and folklore for characters such as Thor. Anyway, why only Marvel? Why not DC Comics? :p

A lot of my inspiration also comes from personal experiences and beliefs that aren't religious. My views on family, the world, my personal trials and tribulations, my upbringing, etc - all serve as inspiration, and influence what I create in some form.

Finally, I am inspired by the works of others. Rule of cool and all that. :)

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What inspired me to make my game is FF and Daggerfall, i wanted to try and make a combination of them. I like ff gameplay but the worlds always seemed abit meh, i want to be able to interact with it more and change things.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm, this is hard....
Is this better? Anything that came fruition on your game like mythology on your game.

Simple answer is "Everywhere".
Mostly from wondering "What If".
Sorry for being unclear that why answer that way.

Anyway, why only Marvel? Why not DC Comics?
I do not know. I just think about things.:kaohi:

A lot of my inspiration also comes from personal experiences and beliefs that aren't religious.
I get the choice from your post about Occultism. lol:ninja:

Daggerfall
It is The Elder Scrolls, correct? Never heard of it.:headshake:

Last edited:

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is The Elder Scrolls, correct? Never heard of it.:headshake:
Im gonna assume you have heard of Skyrim.

Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5
Daggerfall is Elder Scrolls 2

Daggerfall just has alot of freedom which makes it very replayable (if you can stomach the graphics) I also like the non combat skills/talents that those kinds of rpgs have, like lockpicking skill to unlock houses so you can rob them etc :p

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No actual real-life science in the poll?
I don't know, I think I've managed to mix the real-life science (mostly astronomy and physics) with mythology. Although the result is very bizarre.

Or sometimes just real-life science with added fantasy elements.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I'd answer your question, but I think it's pretty obvious what inspires my games ;)

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My brain... but I'd have to go Mythology or Folklore if I had to choose out of the above.

Generally, I come up with something that I like but almost all of my games feature creatures that would be considered mythological or folklore based. I don't think I've ever taken a story from those and put a "spin" on it (although I have been tempted to do something based on the Hades/Persephone story from Greek Mythology or something based on Egyptian).

I have taken a fit of inspiration to "write a thing" which is generally where my plots come from. For example Verloren: Starcrossed was from watching Lost in Space and Farscape. Mind you, the only thing the game has in common with either is that the main character is lost in space and there are aliens.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those mythologies and cultural histories you've mentioned are from civilizations thousands of years old. I think it would be difficult for anyone to come up an idea that isn't in some way influenced by the history of the world.

Personally, I have always been a fan of Greek mythology because of how the deities represent the worst that humanity has to offer, all rolled up into a singular selfish douche-bag of a god or goddess.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Willibab,
Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5
Daggerfall is Elder Scrolls 2
Ok, I get you now. It is like the world of warcraft, but more medieval. :kaopride:

I'd answer your question, but I think it's pretty obvious what inspires my games ;)
Don't make me afraid of the big bad wolf.

I have taken a fit of inspiration to "write a thing" which is generally where my plots come from. For example Verloren: Starcrossed was from watching Lost in Space and Farscape. Mind you, the only thing the game has in common with either is that the main character is lost in space and there are aliens.
I have no ideas about what are you talking about, but I will do the research. It is going to be interesting.

No actual real-life science in the poll?
I don't know, I think I've managed to mix the real-life science (mostly astronomy and physics) with mythology. Although the result is very bizarre.
That is going be an interesting concept like implanted animals and cyborgs. I mean it is weird, but not new ideas for anime and space opera. I think it is really popular with young people. Who does not like gadgets and technology.

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no ideas about what are you talking about, but I will do the research. It is going to be interesting.
Sorry, I should have explained a little better. Hopefully this makes it make more sense.

I don't take inspiration in the form of stories or characters but certain things will inspire me to write in a specific genre/theme. Lost in Space and Farscape are two science fiction television shows that inspired me to write the basics of a story based in a similar setting (that being the lost in space kind of theme for my visual novel Verloren: Starcrossed).

Basically, I read or watch something and it suddenly inspires something based in that kind of genre. A very broad use of the term inspiration in this case. =]

But mostly it's just me writing because I like writing. Which leads to making games in those words.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've never heard of Farscape? :o It's an awesome sci-fi show about a human that ends up on a living ship. He thinks he meets other humans, but they're not called humans, they're called Peacekeepers or something (or is that the name of a faction?) can't fully remember. I loved watching it as a kid. Tried to get my hands on the boxset, but it's expensive. LEXX is my all time favourite sci-fi series, though.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@I8rose and @The Stranger, remember I used to live in Thailand. That shows did not exist in Thailand and many people didn't speak English properly.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slightly off topic but if you do like science fiction and ever get the chance to watch it, I highly recommend it. As the main character is thrown to the other side of the universe, they explain through his questions so it is not bogged down with a lot of technical or confusing stuff. It is a really good example of a "human character thrown into unfamiliar world" type of story.

Probably why I get inspired to write almost every time after rewatching it.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@I8rose, ok I get it now. It is like Star Teks and War Wars. That is going to be an interesting space opera. No no, it is like the guardians of the galaxy because the main characters are prisoners.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I do notice is I always tried to avoid asian culture. Other than martial arts, the rest is just not to my taste.
Asia is a big continent. A lot of martial artist people here will follow your games, now. I hope they have a tutorial about the training.

Those mythologies and cultural histories you've mentioned are from civilizations thousands of years old. I think it would be difficult for anyone to come up an idea that isn't in some way influenced by the history of the world.
I agree with you [I do not what I think]. Remember Yu-Gi-Oh! reference and inspiration of Ancient Egypt. The inspiration is just the starting point, not the end of the story. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders literally inspiration of enemies and plots by the tarot cards. That is a true inspiration of the magic of the past.

Personally, I have always been a fan of Greek mythology because of how the deities represent the worst that humanity has to offer, all rolled up into a singular selfish douche-bag of a god or goddess.
That was @Dreadshadow said.

Last edited:

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My studies focus on general history, so I draw a lot of inspiration from there.
I had read about historical figures, wars, and mythology. They always have interesting stories but mostly we could also take points like how is social life, economy, technology, and politics work. It could be said, when you learn history, you will also learn any part of human civilization. It was easier to relate with something we know when we create the story and its world-building.

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Other JRPGs like Final Fantasy, which is obviously my biggest inspiration.

Fantasy books such as LotR, The Witcher and Keeper of the Swords.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate