Which aspects of Game Development in your own RPG Maker game projects do you do?

Which of these aspects of Game Development do you usually do for your own personal RPG Maker games?

• Total voters

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, so I hope that I am not asking a "bad" question or posting a bad thread here. I was just wondering, from the people here who create their own RPG Maker games, which of these do you create? You can even talk about it in detail at the posts here so that I would know what you do and what you don't do. If you need something else, what do you do?

I know that I have included dialogues as wall as narration because I have once done the narration but not the dialogues. I hope that I am not missing anything here!

I personally create the Game Design, Game Programming and have only now begun making plugins and am not so good at it yet. I usually don't create anything else and use from the game engine's default resources, purchase graphic and music resource packs (like on Steam and on Degica's website) and even pay for commission for very custom things, including also the narration. Also, how do you guys get custom resources? I personally use Upwork.

Last edited:

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Power to the game make! Power to the music make!

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All elements! Except the music which is done by an EXCEPTIONALLY talented mate with whom I used to be in a sick ass band :D

What is the purpose of this thread? :D

Last edited:

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally create the game programming, game design, and writing myself.

For plugins, I mostly use plugins written by other people. I do have some custom stuff, but that's mostly copy / paste from the default scripts with minor edits.

For graphics, musics, and sounds, I mostly use defaults or free resources and stuff, occasionally with minor edits.

Edit: Is there anyone who doesn't do game programming themselves? I thought that's like, the whole point of RPG Maker.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How can some people say "all of it"? Can those people different types of beautiful digital art, good-sounding music, plugins, etc.? I can't do a lot of these things so I hire people, usually on Upwork. I thought that only really gifted people like the developer of Stardew Valley can create a whole video game all by themselves. I am lucky that I can eventually improve my coding and become somewhat "good" at it at some game engines (like Unity).

IvanForever

Xir Xir
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Trial and error and learning through free tutorials on the Web? It may not be the best of works, but I still try to do everything I can. Of course, sometimes I still hire people if I want quality, but first is getting things done. Audio and music knowledge, however, is just something a bit beyond my league. Hope this helps.

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't necessarily have to be talented and the best at everything to do "all of it", just good enough to do what works for your game. Jack of all trades, master of none, something like that.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to game design, eventing, and writing, level design as well.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pretty much everything, except pixel creation and interface assets.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't have eventing in the poll. Unless that's what you mean by Programming (at the interface), which is not actually programming at all.

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Coding 45%? Art ~50%? Music ~30%? I wish I was this multitalented. Even just trying to edit some sprites was enough to drive me insane.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't have eventing in the poll. Unless that's what you mean by Programming (at the interface), which is not actually programming at all.
What exactly is "eventing" and why do you say it's not programming at all? Isn't it where you "program-in" the "events" at the world map? I thought that is indeed programming at the interface- you are making the computer do something by giving it specific commands.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would argue as long as you have a sequential command to execute, if, and loop. It is enough to be called programming. Heck, eventing itself is more programming than, say, writing HTML syntax :p

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it might qualify as programming (at the interface) if you've got plugins that allow you to write code in the noteboxes or comments? At least, that was my understanding of it.

IvanForever

Xir Xir
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What exactly is "eventing" and why do you say it's not programming at all? Isn't it where you "program-in" the "events" at the world map? I thought that is indeed programming at the interface- you are making the computer do something by giving it specific commands.
"Eventing" is creating and editing Events in an RPG Maker software. You click on a tile, add an event, and at least almost everything is clicking around and typing non-programming text (e.g., notes, switch names, character dialogues). That is not programming. I would say "programming" refers to direct code writing and/or editing, and usually if you say you do programming, you at least can write and code something by hand. It's potentially misleading to consider the interface stuff achieved by an engine as "programming work."

EDIT: "Eventing" might also apply to engines such as Visual Novel Maker, for example. But the term "eventing" is somewhat engine-specific.

I think it might qualify as programming (at the interface) if you've got plugins that allow you to write code in the noteboxes or comments? At least, that was my understanding of it.
I don't think this counts as programming at all. A simple example includes: a person downloads a script or plugin, follows the instructions on what kind of code and structure to type in note boxes and comments, and it's... done. Even if they still completely don't know any code.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is not programming. I would say "programming" refers to direct code writing and/or editing, and usually if you say you do programming, you at least can write and code something by hand.
This is the general definition and public assumption, which is correct. If you say you can program, people expect that you can write code in one or several programming languages. You can not claim you can program just because you're building a block of logic in RPG Maker eventing. It won't qualify if you put in your CV. Because the meaning here shifted from "give the computer instruction to do" to "know coding syntax and know how to use it".

But what if the IntelliSense (autocomplete) in the IDE/text editor is so advanced that you can just pick the coding syntax as well as your variable name from a dropdown menu so you don't have to actually write it?

I do agree that the poll name is misleading due to that reason. So I think it is better to change it to "Eventing" since we are also specific for RPG Maker. But if we are solely arguing over semantic, what eventing does is essentially still "programming" (giving instruction on what to do, complete with conditional branching).

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have included eventing as programming at the interface because I consider it programming- you are still giving the computer the instructions to follow, commands to perform.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Happy treason day, Colonial friends <3

I am officially amused. One of the NPCs in my project is basically meant as the guy you check in with to point you where you should go next, including if you’ve been away for a bit and have forgotten.

I can conclusively say he does his job nicely. I was out of town over the weekend. I had forgotten what I was working on, so I checked what I had last done with him for a reminder. ^.^
While talking about anime with a friend got the idea of doing this. :kaopride:
4m6nhlF.jpg

Character: Mirajane Strauss from Fairy Tail.
Dog saliva is an antiseptic.
NghNgE9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirouinazuki