Which aspects of Game Development in your own RPG Maker game projects do you do?

Which of these aspects of Game Development do you usually do for your own personal RPG Maker games?

• Total voters

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Would the RM event command system qualify as a visual programming language? It contains most essential elements of a regular programming language (variables, control structures; arguably, even limited object orientation with given classes; and common events can be used in a very similar way to functions).)

I've answered for my current (private) project, where we're working with a team of two - my teammate is responsible for story and dialog, while I'm focusing on the technical aspects (programming, eventing). In previous single-person projects, I have done the writing myself, and the same will likely be true for future projects.

I'm not good enough at composing to create my own music yet, and creating art for a full game from scratch is too time-consuming for me at this point, so those are the main areas where I rely almost completely on other people's resources (both free and paid). I still do quite a lot of art edits and a few supplementary graphics, that's why I also checked 'creating sprites'. (It might have been interesting to include a separate category for "art edits" in the poll.)

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's what I mean. It is "visual programming". You don't write code but you still give commands to the RPG Maker game engine to execute.

Ebanyle

what
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Everything but scripting (I manage to do one very small snippet there and there but that's it) and music making, which is totally my toll. I would try to get into it had I had the patience.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The Poll is missing Sound Design, which is not the same as Music Composition.

Good sound design makes a big difference in setting the mood for scenes in a story-focused game, and enhances the impact of action in games as well.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan on doing art for them as well as dabble into parallax mapping, but in the meantime I'm trying to make sure I have a semi-decent story to tell :hswt:

So basically everything except plugin making or anything more complex than eventing things, and music composition.

I love sprites to death but actually spriting them is such a pain

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Almost all of it except music and complex coding. I come from a very different background than most people here. I’m a professional graphic designer and illustrator, and I have two degrees in Graphic Design and Creative Writing. A couple years ago, when I had a project idea that I thought would work better as a video game, I began teaching myself about game design and I fell in love with it. This led me to shift my game from being a visual novel to an RPG. While I can't compose music, I'm a trained songstress, and I would like to find a composer to collaborate with and incorporate my vocals in. I've also done some voice acting.

For this reason, there are many things that are simple to me that others struggle with, and vice versa. For example, I’ve started practicing parallax mapping and I’m beginning to find it easier than tileset mapping. It’s easier for me to create a Photoshop document and arrange my pieces however I want than to create a tileset (which is a pain in the neck due to formatting the image file so it works with RPG Maker’s tileset system) and be limited by the grid system.

Recently I began learning about how to implement plugins and their many uses, and I’m learning a little about how JavaScript works through that. When I get farther into my game (and closer to the Kickstarter launch) I will likely hire another programmer or two who can handle more advanced coding and eventing. This will give me more time to work on other aspects of the game.

I'm curious about where people hire other people to work on projects as well. Any recommendations besides Upwork?

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I forgot to include mapping here!! So I have added it here.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Everything except plugins. I'm a one man show, for the most part, LOL.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Dog saliva is an antiseptic.
NghNgE9.gif
Oh man. IGMC's finally back. I really want to participate, but I'm not sure if I have the time.
It is DC's turn to be celebrating her leveling up and starts her 20th year. We were many to think she wouldn't live that long. Starts your cats motors and make 'em purr!
why_hello_mira.jpg

I made myself a cult leader, and a concept scene for him as well. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken_Brightblade