Which choice is "better"/more optimized?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in my game, I currently have a save system where there's save pillars across the maps, and you use these save pillars to save, or teleport to another save pillar you've already visited. Though recently, after finally reaching the point of wanting to clean up, fix bugs, etc...I was thinking about slightly reworking the system.

My question is...which setup do you guys think would be more suitable as a design?

A) Keep current system:
-When you approach a Save Pillar, the Save menu pops up, and Self Switch A is turned ON.
The next time you interact with this Save Pillar, the main character asks if you wanna teleport to another save pillar, and you get to pick yes/no. No matter if you choose yes/no, Self Switch A is turned OFF.

Hence, it cycles, but you need to interact with the pillar twice.

OR

B ) Reworked idea:
-When you approach a Save Pillar, you get 2 options this time. Save, and Teleport. If you Save, it just saves and closes the pillar.
If you Teleport, it asks where, and you pick your location just like before.

Hence, there's no need for a cycle, but I was a bit afraid this might be a bit overwhelming for some players who are just eager to Save in a hurry.

Thank you guys in advance!

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reworked one sounds better to me because of what you said here.
Hence, there's no need for a cycle, but I was a bit afraid this might be a bit overwhelming for some players who are just eager to Save in a hurry
If I'm not in need of teleportation, I'd get annoyed by a system forcing me to teleport before saving... (Which is what it sounds like you're saying.)

The player wouldn't mind picking an option I'd think.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
set them all disabled.
-on event touch, enable and save.
-on interact, show teleport.

the event touch then allows you to use a change of graphic to *show* the enabling.
glow effect, animation, etc.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a bit oldschool... When I see Save points, I sort of want them to prompt me with the entire options list immediately. If I have to click it, first option is "Save" and second is "Teleport". If the save point is one you "step inside" then I just expect the "Save" option in my menu to no longer be disabled... as well as a teleport function in my menu.

I do have to ask something though:

Is there a reason you want your save points to teleport? Will it be used frequently by players? Are players going to be revisiting places a lot? Will they be teleporting back to Beginner Town from Final Dungeon for content or any reason?

Or, is the Teleport System merely your idea to add "Escape Ropes" into the game that allow players quick travel back to the last town they visited?

Sorry, whenever someone says they have "Teleports" in their RPG, I automatically assume they're not necessary due to their frequent misusage. I always want to know if it's something that will be used frequently or rarely. And, by "frequent", I mean as frequently as in your standard MMO. Or... a giant open world with quests criss-crossing all over the place and so "fast travel" becomes a convenience thing.

Game devs should always consider the purpose of the features they implement and whether it's worth even implementing them when a player may not use it all that much.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a bit oldschool... When I see Save points, I sort of want them to prompt me with the entire options list immediately. If I have to click it, first option is "Save" and second is "Teleport". If the save point is one you "step inside" then I just expect the "Save" option in my menu to no longer be disabled... as well as a teleport function in my menu.

I do have to ask something though:

Is there a reason you want your save points to teleport? Will it be used frequently by players? Are players going to be revisiting places a lot? Will they be teleporting back to Beginner Town from Final Dungeon for content or any reason?

Or, is the Teleport System merely your idea to add "Escape Ropes" into the game that allow players quick travel back to the last town they visited?

Sorry, whenever someone says they have "Teleports" in their RPG, I automatically assume they're not necessary due to their frequent misusage. I always want to know if it's something that will be used frequently or rarely. And, by "frequent", I mean as frequently as in your standard MMO. Or... a giant open world with quests criss-crossing all over the place and so "fast travel" becomes a convenience thing.

Game devs should always consider the purpose of the features they implement and whether it's worth even implementing them when a player may not use it all that much.

Not a problem! I will explain more in-depth.

So basically, my game is just a light puzzle-solving, treasure-hunting game (no combat). You're thrown into an open world filled with places you can explore at any point of the game.
You have 1 main quest that you "must" do to "beat" the game, but there's tons of things you can do as side quests, and get different ending sequences from.

Hence, I believe it would be a good idea to implement save points in some of the more important regions/areas, and allow players to teleport to those same regions whenever they want to save time and avoid backtracking.
Though, I am always open to more ideas and such!

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a pretty great idea then. Use them to get to and from areas much quicker. Something I had wished that "The Witness" frequently had as getting from area to area ended up being "a chore" if I didn't stick around to finish all the puzzles and came back after I learned more things.

And... "The Witness" isn't even a very large game... But climbing to the top of the mountain so frequently was a pain... or from an area into the swamp... or any location you could only reach by boat... or slow moving platform... Teleporters would've been great for things like that.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
A new day for creating :)
2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.
"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy_Rocketram