Which dimensions should I choose for the creation of characters?

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I know this might sound strange or stupid to you, but I would like to understand how sprite sheets work in RPG Maker.

I mean, I have often seen sprite sheets that include all the movements of the created characters, but I don't understand how these are separated in the software.

And that brings me to my final question. How to create a sprite sheet for each of our characters?

I have several software (Pro Motion Ng, Spriter Pro, Aseprite, Tilesetter, Pyxel Edit, etc.) but I never know which dimensions to choose to create my character.

When it comes to simple artistic design, I don't mind about dimensions, but when it comes to creating sprites to use in software like RPG Maker, I think there are definitely some rules to respect.

I was using Game Character Hub; Portfolio Edition but I would like to create my own design for the character design, moreover, I don't like SD characters too much, I much prefer characters with long legs like in "Fear & Hunger" for example.

How do you go about creating your own characters? I guess some of you make your own characters, right?

It's good to use existing assets, but creating everything from scratch is better.

Also, I would like my characters to be sufficiently detailed in a pixel art, which is fine enough to distinguish a face, a nose, a mouth, hair and ears in a clear way, with borderline similar to vector drawing.

Thank you in advance for your responses and your invaluable help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you're asking the wrong question, because the size of the sprite pictures is relative and not absolute.

The basics are in a tutorial that I once wrote:

that should help you make your own base template

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Is the dimensions calculation for MZ the same as MV?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the only thing that changes for this between different makers are the numbers. and yes, MZ uses the same grid as MV.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'll try to follow your "tutorial".

I understood that, in general terms, everything is a question of mathematical calculation.
However, I would still need some time and practice to find my bearings and the ideal format for my characters.

In any case, thank you for your precious help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Currently working on the second protagonist's story and her companion, making good progress. But I am looking forward to return to my other protagonist and continue his story and have him joined by a new companion. :)
mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.
rux
Just 80% of my motivation on game making lmao, anyone got tips on how to not be unmotivated?
I've signed up for a job training program for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I went to a "test run" today so they could see how well I did with simple jobs, and I amazed them. Most new people do it in 30+ minutes, while I finished in a mere 15 minutes. Gives me time to work on a screenplay for Studio MDHR...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Springy120