Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
NOT RMVX! HELL, NOT RMVX!

Unless you want the license to use their resources... that's about it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Helladen This is not a scripting issue but a hardware issue, discussed in the MV updates thread. AMD computers have a combined CPU and GPU instead of separate ones. They can't handle MV, OSB Studio and several other software programs.

See touchfuzzy's post for confirmation.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Helladen : Not ever browser is html5. I do an online tutoring job and we still got students trying to come in using Netscape. Yes, that old browser which was discontinued in 2008. So you can't guarantee that every PC has a browser that will run MV.

Plus the point is MV is coded in such a way you would need to completely rewrite the engine if you want it to work on older computers and/or AMD computers well, and if you are going that far, you could have just bought C and written your own engine, which is probably not what the OP wants to do.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Optimization and many things aside, here is my cent. I prefer VXAce for a very specific reason, however, if asked what to buy, I'd say "Buy MV".

Why?
First reason, if you're not familiar with the program, you have more active people who're into RMMV instead of the older engine. The older the engine, the less likely you will get help.

The second reason, the older engines seem to be abandoned. They prefer to work on the latest engine they have, looking at the version number of MV now, and its update log. You will unlikely to see the older engines get an update.

However, if you have money, buy both to get the license from those two engines to use their resources.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
There are a few specific reasons why someone would prefer Ace, but for someone new to rpg maker, overall I think MV is superior in most ways. The main drawback of MV is that the graphical style (mostly the battlers, and to a lesser extent the sprites) is very bright and cartoonish, whereas I find the VX Ace graphics a lot nicer and more reminiscent of the classic fantasy RPG style. VX Ace is also 32x32 which is more compatible with retro style pixel art...MV is 48x48 which is both harder to cleanly upscale and lends itself to the more painted style of tiles.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The speed of the actual engine running the code also has a significant bearing. While I prefer RPGMaker XP, I am also familiar with an open-source package that, while defaulted to 40fps, can run ruby 2.0+ easily at 120fps.
Yes, if you are a programmer you can use whatever engine you want. Non-programmers should stick to the more modern RPG Makers, because Ruby sucked massively in RPG Maker XP. I recall the RPG Maker XP Ruby patch from the community, but I didn't think it was that good. Sounds good to me to use RPG Maker XP now, but I prefer the technology of RPG Maker MV.

If someone is not using Google Chrome or Firefox, they can go **** themselves. Opera uses Chromium and soon Edge will, too. Netscape is not acceptable in 2018. Besides Electron can run on any Windows Operating System and supports HTML5. HTML and JS is the future, pretty soon everything is going to run that.

Visual Studio Code, Atom, Discord, Slack, and many other programs have already adopted Electron.

You can easily make RPG Maker MV into an Electron app.

Last edited:

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The RPGMaker XP Ruby patch? Would that happen to be the RMXP SDK that was being developed by SephirothSpawn, Trickster, Rataime and others? Lessons had to be learned from that endeavor. Constant upgrading from one version to another made software using it obsolete mere months later. It had policies and guidelines on scripting that were good, but their practice of rewriting the code over and over was not.

Oh, and for the record, The RMXP SDK created 'Scene_Base" one year before RPGMaker VX was released; RPGMaker VX suddenly having its own Scene_Base script. Coincidence? I think not. Tsunokiette began working on it in Oct 2006, posted at Creation Asylum. VX's Game Exe Nov 2007.

Rather entertaining that RMMV uses completely different tile and artwork sizes, as if to force one to use a new exclusive format. All other systems use the 32x32px tile size. Yeah, entertaining route that one and totally unnecessary unless they chose to ensure that RMMV users must need to migrate away from resources already made.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll admit I don't even understand why 48 x 48. That doesn't even scale to most common monitor resolutions. Something that is a even multiple of most resolutions would have been better. Even 64 x 64 would have made more sense, as that works with 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024, etc.

Of course, 1080p doesn't divide evenly by many tile sizes (32, 48 or 64 all don't divide it evenly), so there's little you can do for that resolution. Why THAT is the choice for monitors now also makes no sense to me (as it's hard to upscale or even downscale too and make it all fit neatly on one screen), but whatever. In fact, the only resolution 48 x 48 has an advantage over 32 x 32 is 720p settings that I could find (of those I've heard of people using).

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
48x48 is fine, I've made a plugin that scales it perfectly in 1080P, although 1080P is too large for VX/MV sprites. 720P is probably the best. The tile size doesn't matter, the camera will make it fit all on screen.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting. What's your original resolution though for the screen?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So you started with 1080 for the resolution? 1080 / 48 = 22.5, so you have a half tile on the screen though, which has caused some drawing errors on occasion. That's why I wondered, as you either decided to go with a half tile (or other fractional tile) or you interpolated, both which are not fool-proof.

Now since you can code I'm sure you can code around some of that (though no image resize algorithm is foolproof), but the average user cannot. That's why I'm still surprised at 1080p being a standard, as very few tile sizes divide it well, so you either get fractional tiles or strange interpolation.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Now since you can code I'm sure you can code around some of that (though no image resize algorithm is foolproof), but the average user cannot. That's why I'm still surprised at 1080p being a standard, as very few tile sizes divide it well, so you either get fractional tiles or strange interpolation.
How the camera works, it will clip the edge of the map and won't draw it. You typically don't ever make a map below the dimensions of the supported resolution unless it is interior (then any size will work), but you can just have black around the edges. The tile size is of little importance, the camera in RPG Maker MV handles both 32x32 and 48x48 fine. Although lower resolutions are fine, the main thing is supporting all maps to be the minimum size, so the game can render everything without having black borders.

I tried 32x32 for awhile and felt like MV sprites look better with 48x48, although if you use custom sprites from an earlier RPG Maker, then 32x32 is fine as well.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sure, but I guess you don't see all of the support posts of weird drawing issues and it always ends up being they used a resolution that wasn't a multiple of 48. So there *are* known issues with it, which is why I wondered what resolution you used and how you fixed it. Though all of the posts I've seen it is always on the left or right side of the map when it happens, so maybe they did code it to handle it for up/down better? *shrugs*

Back to the OP's post:
-The point is, in either maker, you'll have to do some work if you want to support 1080p.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sure, but I guess you don't see all of the support posts of weird drawing issues and it always ends up being they used a resolution that wasn't a multiple of 48.
I had no black borders when I was doing 1080P, but 1080P is not wise to use, it's too large for the sprites. Although, using 720P there are very small black borders around the left and right side using 48x48. I guess it doesn't clip it after all.

When you downscale a resolution, it stays in the current supported resolution, but squishes the sprites and tiles down to fit the canvas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kraken Art By @whtdragon

- For the No Travel Game Jam -
Yay! One of my Youtube videos got to 100 views (in 2 days)! This Youtube thing is great, it's like the profile posts except I get to annoy entertain more people at once! Now I just have to practice my "Leave a like and hit that Subscribe button" shilling technique. :LZSexcite:
Just found out there is an about me page. I updated it and happy the way its looking!
Ladies and Gentlemen, I can't act like things will be ok anymore. It needs to be said: We have a Pandemic...
Release version of Pillow Hero is out on windows now! --> https://bit.ly/2USHKLv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormyRange