Which movie or cartoon character(s) properly scared you as a kid?

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Feel free to share your childhood trauma inducing movie/cartoon characters, I'm sure everyone had at least a few of these.
As a kid I used to secretly watch stuff I shouldn't have watched, and the results were countless sleepless nights, many of my characters aren't even from proper horror movies but they still scared me to death anyway.

I want to mention that I won't share scary images of the characters (just regular ones) because there might still be kids visiting this forum and some of these pictures are not exactly pleasant to see. Please do the same if you post in my thread. Thank you.

Let's go with my TOP 5:

abe48299a36993bfc9f05499e7582439.jpg
Lew Hayward from Scrooged
He is pretty much a zombie and although quite funny, he scared me a lot when he gets pissed and removes his sunglasses.

Horned_King_Smile.png
The Horned King from The Black Cauldron
A lich and one of the most underrated and scariest Disney villains, the movie where he appears is quite boring to watch, and he is the only redeeming character from it.

Libraryghost05.png
Librarian Ghost from Ghostbusters
Yeah, don't ask.
I found this character very scary as a kid, especially when she approaches the Ghostbusters and transforms into her much uglier form (I won't share her picture in that form).

b1f983de99dfef2b8fd9270f05693a96.jpg
Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit
He is honestly threatening and creepy through the whole movie, but it's only towards the end (when he becomes a toon), that he forced me to always hide under the table.

And the winner is.....
WalterDonovan.jpg
Walter Donovan from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Wait a minute, he is not scary at all.
How can it be?
He is not but if you watch the movie, there's a scene towards the end where he drinks from a false Holy Grail and starts aging 10 years x second until becoming dust...and that was for me (as a kid) the scariest thing I ever watched.
I loved the movie but everytime that scene happened, I couldn't force myself to watch it in any way and used to get out of the room, just to return one minute after. Every. Single. Time.
Of course I don't wanna share the gif of that scene because it's not nice either.

2l1qxz.jpg

That was my list of scariest movie/cartoon characters that used to terrify me as a kid.
Feel free to share yours, under spoilers accordingly, and NO frightening pictures please. Thank you.

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Terror Tract's (a horror anthology film from 2000) second and third story scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Later on I come to find out it was supposed to be a horror comedy, mostly comedy.

I wasn't laughing, yo.

This thing made me not get up to pee for nearly three hours:
terror-tract.jpg

My mom was always a horror buff, so whenever she was watching a horror film I'd find my way into the living room and sneak peaks; usually being unable to sleep for half the night afterwards. The upside to this is now even literal real life horrors fill me with no fear at all. I try to find scary stuff every now and then, but unless I use my imagination over the course of a day to psych myself and slowly uncover horrors, nothing else from others can do the trick anymore. One day I want to make a horror game, though I doubt I'd do the medium justice, and it's not like RPG Maker is hurting in that regard.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is really just one thing I can think of.
Also it probably was not a good idea to have watched Spirited Away when I was only 8 yrs old.

fb210f79310088e495e840caee2cee959c102086r1-500-463_hq.gif

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@fizzly
Oh my God, The Groke from The Moomin. A classic, hahaha.

@KakonComp
Interesting, I should watch it sometime.
It seems to be pretty obscure and that already got my interest.
Dad used to be like your mother regarding horror movies but I couldn't enter in the room at all when he was watching them (he used to lock the door).
I don't think I would have had the courage to enter anyway, hahaha.

@ScorchedGround
I love Spirited Away and almost anything that Studio Ghibli creates.
Admittedly, No-face is quite sinister and scary in a way, first time I watched the movie I thought he was the real antagonist.
I was wrong of course, but still, very interesting character.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hands down the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.
I don't recall anything on TV or movies scaring me as a child other than that.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@zzmmorgan
I totally forgot about them, very scary for sure, but as a kid I was just a bit afraid of the Wizard's giant head there. XD

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I remember searching below my bed before heading to sleep as a Kid after watching those old Chucky Movies.. That laugh creeped me out as a Kid.. Although looking back at it now, its kinda silly.

Last edited:

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Freddy Krueger!! I used to have odd combo nightmares that combined my fear of him with my fear of tickling

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Black Pagan
Dolls have always been creepy imho, my parents have a big one with a broken face in the bedroom sitting on the bed.
They always refused to throw it away because it was a gift.

@standardplayer
Wait a second here. You were dreaming about him tickling you with his glove? XD
Freddy Krueger was another cause of many sleepless nights in my case, I was simply afraid of him killing me in my dreams.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's a long story but yeah, I'm so ticklish that I HATE to be tickled, like I will punch someone to stop it. It isn't even remotely amusing to me. But as a 3 yo kid, my Dad would tickle me sometimes before I went off to bed and I would get upset, and he would be furious.
So I'd go to bed upset, but then be afraid of ol Freddy outside my window (Jason was in my closet, no flesh T-800 was under my bed) and yeah, combo nightmare. For YEARS lol

Last edited:

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't say without posting pictures that are scary, 'cause they are... well... scary. And they were for me as a kid (so why I should care of OTHER kids?!?!).

Anyway:
The faceless woman from Twilight Zone (search "Twilight Zone most scary scene", check a woman watching tv).
Woundworth from Watership Down
The melting guy from Robocop
The Zuni Statuette from Horror Trilogy
Willy Wonka when deranged in the Horror Tunnel.

Do your search in YouTube.

Last edited:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Dororo
I was curious so I searched for a few of them.
I knew Robocop and Willy Wonka, heard of Twilight Zone but never watched it, found that scene though and it's really unsettling to watch.
Regarding Watership down, which version you mean? There's two, one from 1978 and another from 2018.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I assume he means the one from 1978, as that one is pretty freaky for a kid with all the gore. I saw that at four years old on my own, as fam thought it was a children's movie. Like Plague Dogs, it's more for young adults.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exactly that one. And that was exactly the experience everyone had with that movie.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I don't remember a lot of characters that scared me as a kid. My parents were pretty good at keeping us away from horror movies. (I mean one of the first "horror" movies we watched were the Scary Movies xD)

I guess if I had to pick some that unnerved me as a kid:
- Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame. (Unrelated to your question, but I still have trouble watching the scene where Quasimodo gets put on the rack. As a kid when watching this movie, I'd fastforward that part. Even now I can't enjoy the Topsy Turvy song, because of what follows)
- Some of the characters from Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Hexxus from Ferngully
- The narrator from Grizzly Tales for Gruesome kids

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kurt Barlow (vampire in Salem's Lot)

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@slimmmeiske2
Frollo is probably the best Disney villain because he is the most realistic, pretty sure men like that really existed.
I remember the monsters from Courage, they are very creepy on purpose to make him look even more chicken. XD

I forgot to add Chernabog from Fantasia in my list, he is probably somewhere between 2nd and 3rd.
Friggin scary to watch his sequence but really spectacular overall.
Night on Bald Mountain in the background didn't help either and made my nights even worse. XD

Chernabog.jpg

@Quexp
Master Stephen King always hits hard regarding this subject, doesn't he? I'm a big fan of many things he did.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@slimmmeiske2
Frollo is probably the best Disney villain because he is the most realistic, pretty sure men like that really exist.
FTFY

As for the subject of the thread... not a lot to be honest. I watched horror movies all the time as a young kid (I watched the Alien movies when I was like 6) with my mom. We used to go and rent horror movies from Blockbuster (lol) every friday and watch them all night. Even now on Mother's day I usually rent a horror movie and watch it with her.

So I probably just kind of developed an immunity to most horror movie things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......
i love my game very much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knife77