Which one looks better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emberstorm, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Emberstorm

Emberstorm Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I've got about 180 hours clocked in RPG Maker MV working on my new project, and when I booted it up to work on it today, all my graphics looked dark and murky. I thought it was my monitor settings, I checked and they were unchanged. I compared with some other games, and it still looked dark. I don't know how it looked like it changed before my eyes, but I'm glad I caught onto it. I edited the colors, saturation, and brightness and I feel much better about it now, but I want some feedback.

Is the brighter screenshot an improvement?

Foothills.gif

House.gif

Anybody had a similar experience? :p

2. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the bright ones

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  3. GreyStone84

GreyStone84 Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatus Nunc Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not sure if you are adjusting the saturation, etc. by going tile by tile, map by map, or whatever, but here are just a few things I noticed:

Forest

• The darker screen gives a greenish tinge to the rocks and dirt
    • The middle hue grass (the grass type most seen and that surrounds the dirt path) I think the "blades" stand out a little more with the darker screen

Indoors

• The darker screen produces a little added window definition on the right hand edges
    • The darker screen makes the white (or is it an empty?) bottle on the bottom shelf have a little mark on the edge of it. It makes it looks like there is something in the bottle
    • The lighter screen makes the Red and Blue bottles have a white mark on them, like light was shining on them. The darker screen just makes the bottles look all red and blue respectively.
    • The darker screen gives the stacked coffee cups a little extra definition on the left hand side and on the rim of the bottom coffee mug which makes the image look more like the cups are stacked and separate cups, but at the same time, the light image makes it easier to see their handles.
    • The darker screen also affects the apples in such a way that they stand out more from the shading around them where the light screen almost makes them blend in.

That being said, I think the lighter images generally look better.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a Game and Map Screenshots thread pinned at the top of this very forum, for the purpose of getting feedback on your maps ;)

5. Emberstorm

First Language:
    English
    Sorry Shaz, not sure why it skipped my mind. I'll remember next time.

A couple of the things, like the holes in the bottles were errors. Very perspective of you to notice. I believe when I was removing the white background from the tiles, I selected with the magic wand all white (including the glows on the bottles) and deleted it to transperent.

I think the bed pillow and blanket is too bright so I'll fix that up now.

6. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I prefer the darker maps. It's not that your brighter maps are simply brighter; they're also higher-contrast. If you look at games that utilize a similar art style, they're typically lower-contrast than what you show in your "brighter" comparisons. 

Consider Link to the Past, which your first image immediately reminded me of:

[​IMG]

You don't necessarily need to run things through a brightness/contrast filter when your original color choices were sound. Which, in your case, they were.

Regardless, I really like your style and encourage you to keep it up despite which version you choose to develop.

7. Emberstorm

First Language:
    English

Link to the Past is actually a good example. I'm not sure what triggered my dissatisfaction with the original maps. As I mentioned, one day I just woke up and they looked darker and less pleasant than I thought.

Yeah, I tried not to butcher my original chosen colors too much. I made multiple curve and level custom presets on Photoshop based on screenshots I edited, for different components (terrain, furniture, walls, cliffs), and then I changed a bunch of colors manually, such as the objects in the cabinet, and some parts of the furniture.

Thank you for the feedback. The game is a comic setting, so currently I think the brighter ones are more fitting. I may even revisit it again.

Kenen likes this.
  8. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome. Either way, I like the look of your artwork and I hope you'll continue with it!

9. Phonantiphon

Phonantiphon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Darker, for me.

The bright versions are too contrast-y I think - (as someone else said).

I love your artwork, by the way. :)

10. Emberstorm

First Language:
    English

Thanks guys. It's a style I've never tried for. Usually I go for low-res and retro, or more traditional medieval fantasy. Glad it's appealing!

Phonantiphon likes this.
  11. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would actually go with bright. Though I don't know too much about your project, the art style leads me to expect some cheery, high-contrast maps. While the dark versions might be good for another game, bright might match your goals better.

12. DanPixel

DanPixel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll go with the darker ones because the bright ones seem over saturated and have too much contrast. Main thing is old school games usually keep this dark tone on their graphics, nope?

13. Emberstorm

First Language:
    English
    I'm so torn between which to use! I feel like there is no general consensus either :p