RMMV Which plugins would you use to make a Chess-like minigame?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Makers,

I'm thinking of writing a chess-like, turn-based strategy minigame into my next project.
I'm very keen for your recommendations about which existing plugins might be useful when I do this, to avoid having to reinvent the wheel.
I've used a lot of Yanfly's plugins before and found them very helpful.

Thanks for any ideas or comments you can offer. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place!

Spaske

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi Makers,

I'm thinking of writing a chess-like, turn-based strategy minigame into my next project.
I'm very keen for your recommendations about which existing plugins might be useful when I do this, to avoid having to reinvent the wheel.
I've used a lot of Yanfly's plugins before and found them very helpful.

Thanks for any ideas or comments you can offer. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place!
As far as i know, there is no chess plugin, searched for one a few months back and couldnt find any, could be wrong tho and there is some hidden somewhere...

In making a chess game, i went on to create it and tbh, to make the chess is fairly simple, you just need to event all the pieces wich should be doable... here comes the hard part, to create an AI... so for you to play against someone you need an chess AI and this would be pretty difficult even with scripting. If you plan on doing a full on chess game, it will be pretty hard...
What you could do instead is, to make the board and pieces but just make the player have 2,3,4 moves for a checkmate... like this:
1643401209032.png

This would be doable but would require also some eventing and branches ect...

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did some thinking around, conditionalBranch+ plugin is helpfull.
a fully AI is probably the hardest part which both should check
for variable XY for each piece, and when to set is able to make.

a couple of pieces like teh image above is the best way, otherwise
a plugin with parameters to make it work.

but it aint easy to do and require some JS knowledge if you want
something to play fully.

specially while for the horse part that need a home position and check
for an L move, or the walker for the the diagonal path.

I dont see a easy way to do it though, but good luck anyway :)

you might be able to make teh field with regionID , but a full chess board
require a plugin, event it out would be nearly impossible.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have created board games and card games, text adventures and scoreboard games with RPG maker... But a chess system? Now that is a challenge. (To be honest... I thought the other systems I made were a challenge too, until I made them. Then I thought them to be easy. Hahaha.)

I have thought about a full on chess system before, but that is like 999 steps further than a simple around the board dice game... Anyhow, how I would go about it with only use of yanfly plugins. (Since I have no knowledge of an existing chess plugin)

I've been thinking about a chess system before, and the best way I could think of, is for each piece-type × each square on the board, you have to pre-program all possible moves. Then, once you have done that (and probably are weeks or even months ahead) you could should add conditions to rule out moves when other pieces are in the way.

That part, that is by far the most work intensive part... By far! It is not hard, but it is a lot of work. Literally 100's of entrees per chess piece. However... You only have to do the bishops once, the rooks once etc. You do not have to do this for each rook on the board, since they all move the same way.

Once you've done that, need to add a bunch of more conditions (again for each piece on the board, this time all 32 of them) to see if they check the opponent king. This is less work, since you've don't most of it already in the previous steps.

When that is done, you basically have yourself a PvP chess game. From here on, making an AI is not that hard, depending on your own chess skills. What you can do is give all different types of move a score (exposing one of your pieces is a lower score, threatening your opponents pieces is a higher score) and then have the AI make the move with the highest score.

It really is not too difficult once you know what to do... It is just so much work. If you start today and work 10 hours a day, you might be done before summer vacation starts. :p

(I am fully aware there might be simpeler ways, for those who know javascript or any other programming language... But I don't have that. So I would have to take to long way.)

Good luck... And if you happen to find a complete chess plugin after all, even if it is just PvP, then I would just love to hear about it. I wouldn't mind making an awesome chess game.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could also probably use a Tactical Battle System plugin, but that might be overkill lol...

SRPG may work, but it uses Fire Emblem-style turn order, as in the entire player party acts, then the entire enemy party acts. So, you'll have to configure/edit it so that a turn ends once a unit is moved. LTBS, on the other hand, uses individual turn orders, which might a better fit for Chess.

You can even create the Knight's L-shaped movement pattern!
Paste the following into this: https://lecodemv.github.io/leTBS/old/aoe_creator.html
"[cx-1,cy-2],[cx+1,cy-2],[cx-2,cy-1],[cx+2,cy-1],[cx-2,cy+1],[cx+2,cy+1],[cx-1,cy+2],[cx+1,cy+2]"

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@JohnDoeNews I am genuinely in awe of your abilities sometimes. I wouldn't even know the first step to making this sort of thing and I consider myself a pretty good eventer.
Could be wrong, but I don't think you can do this entirely with events. You'll need at least a few scripts, but I couldn't tell you which ones, LOL.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@JohnDoeNews I am genuinely in awe of your abilities sometimes. I wouldn't even know the first step to making this sort of thing and I consider myself a pretty good eventer.
Could be wrong, but I don't think you can do this entirely with events. You'll need at least a few scripts, but I couldn't tell you which ones, LOL.
I think I would be able to do this with the use of yanfly plugins only... I made card games and board games with the use of yanfly plugins before. But chess... Well, that would be next level.

It would be a time eating challenge and it would probably drive me nuts half way trough, but I don't think it would be impossible.

I didn't try it out, but I think the most complicated part would be recognizing check and check-mate. (Therefor the project needs to recognize that the kind is in danger, and that there is no possible way to prevent it being captured in just 1 turn.)

That being said... Having a script made for this purpose would make a lot easier. I just don't think it exists for RPG maker yet. (I've been looking for a long time, but I can't find it.)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, this definitely gives me enough confidence to make a start and see how far I get!

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your topic got me started on a chess engine myself. :p I just want to see if I can do it. :p

Yes, that is how all my projects start off: I just want to see if I can do it. :p Haha. I did a lot of research on the topic in the past few weeks, and not I think I am ready to actually do it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Current status screens for Shadows of the Earth: The Vrila'an Legend. Need to do something about the color scheme lol
Captura de pantalla (259).pngCaptura de pantalla (260).png
My first serious victim in game hacking - Pawnbarian.
Diana Path 2.png
I love these two design wise lol... The high school principal and the captain of the women's wrestling team. they team up as bosses to save the school's accreditation.
Kanori24 wrote on TheRamenGirl's profile.
I love your profile pic. Definitely one of my favorite scenes from OPM :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bleach