Which RPG Maker is better for Making an Horror game ?

sewayn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello !

Between MZ, MV, VXace, Xp, which one is better for horror game.
I'm talking about graphics, script, logic, plugins

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All of them.

I'm talking about graphics
And what graphics are you talking about?
The default graphics or the available assets?
XP is the most dated of all of them that the available assets are probably not much.

All of them can do the logic.

And what specific script/plugin you expect to exists?

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's kinda tricky questions. Most games I saw thru youtuber plays probably really old engine, but some use MV or VXA in the past

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Scripting for light,
Lighting script/plugin exists in all engines
flashlight,
Same as above.
ambiant light,
Ace has Khas LIghting Effect for more ambient light
MV has Pixi filters for more effect. But I couldn't think of any plugin that does it.
You can use all of them to create horror feeling.
And what kind of event system you want?
I don't understand the "screamer", it sounds like a sound effect problem rather than a script/plugin.
Please elaborate more
Default or Maker made graphics.
Except for XP, all of them have chibi graphics.
You're the one who decides if you could make a horror game using chibi graphics or not.
Or if you decide to use your own graphics.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Graphics - XP by faaaarrrr.
Logic - Probably MZedd, it is the superior engine to all the Makers, under the hood and with built in features.
Plug-ins - Any of them tbh. You can find all plugins/scripts you need to make a polished 2D horror title with any of the Makers.

RedRose190

Anna/Misty190
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello! if you ask me.. vx and vx ace are the best because most of horror games are made by it.. and thats because it has many scripts because it was very popular back in the days :)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of them. Also, I think the RPG maker products sale happens now.
I'm talking about graphics, script, logic, plugins
I never used XP before so I cannot give your insight. But I see XP has a large availability of arts.
Logic is maybe MZ due to improvement of ideas of RPG maker products.
MV is good for plugins due to the older than MZ.

Please be aware it is just my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
~lightning... all engine have their own lightning script / plugin.

~logic... you need eventing for that so all engine is the same

~graphic... you can use any custom graphic with any engine... you can also use bigger graphic as player using certain plugin/script.

Actually... in my opinion all above does not matter too much...
What the most important in good Horror game is Story and Jumpscare...
so any Engine will work fine... what matter is eventing skills and eventing is the same in every engine.

TheouAegis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think MV is the best choice, it has a lots scripts those are available to play with, and it's also support HD resolution which was lacked in previous version of rpgmaker

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I say you need a ligthing plugin or script to get horror effect vibe, MV is better option than vxa or xp

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd say MZ. It's a better MV that also has better default resources for it. The default sci-fi actors in MZ are much better than the MV ones.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You have to be more detailed. What kind of horror game do you have in mind? Is it something like Corpse Party (no combat, story focused) or something like 2D Resident Evil?

If you are aiming for something with actions, maybe RPG Maker isn't the best choice, until we have more functional plugins dedicated to this type of game. If Corpse Party is something you want to do, then any of the engines can satisfy you, if you know how to use them properly and find the right addons.

- Ace is good, with plenty of scripts to help you, but the resolution is outdated so that might turn some people off. No web or android export, and requires RTP to run. Most are free and easy to use.
- MV lets you customize what resolution you want. The plugins might be more troublesome to use than scripts.
- MZ is still new, so it lacks some addons that Ace and MV have. Some plugins are locked behind paywall, more than MV, so if you ended up needing to do something that requires a plugin, pray that someone is willing to help you for free.

Most important is how good you are at telling story.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that MV/MZ uses 48x48 tiles while VX/Ace and earlier uses 32x32. Also, another key difference is that the former uses JS while the latter uses RGSS. Just something to consider, if you haven't already. MV and especially MZ also have really powerful visual/lighting plugins.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tbh, when it comes to visuals, MZ has the most potential there from what I can see, but that's talking about very advanced stuff. It depends heavily on what kind of game you want to make.

Also, RPG Maker 2003 uses 16x16 sprites and tiles.

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe any of them can be used to make an horror game, because what will bring the horror aspect is how you use the engine and the assets, the atmosphere you create in your game. How you are going to use sounds, and light/dark situations, dialogues, BGM's and so it goes...
It would be nice for you to learn about the tilesets and how to modify details of them and make specifics tiles for a cutscene. So, it's not precisely the engine, but your creativity.

Now, if you ask me which one to buy, I would say MZ, as the newest, all eyes are on it and I feel big promises for it. I wish you a great maker-time.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tarzanthecat wrote on hiddenone's profile.
THANK YOU SO MUCH HIDDENONE ADSKFSJDFSKDF
Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey
Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QueenShadow