Which RPG Maker Let's Me Create Dragon Quest 1 Style AND Export To iOS/Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I am thinking of buying one of the RPG Makers and making a Dragon Questi 1-3 style RPG and would love to be able to also put this on iOS or Android. Is there a version of RPG Maker that does these two things?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I've never seen the game, I have no idea what "Dragon Quest 1 style" means. However, if you can code, you can completely change the appearance of the game, especially with MV or MZ.

MV and MZ will also allow you to deploy to iOS or Android. Earlier engines are PC only.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
literally any rpg maker can do it. you just have to make all the graphics yourself. so rpg maker mz and mv can be exported to android ios. i recommend MZ which is the one i own

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since all of the engines except 2003 can by default use a front facing battle style like Dragon Quest, the main difficulty is probably porting to android. For that you should use either MV or MZ. However, if you're wanting to use a pure pixel art look, both those engines can be a little frustrating as they're made for larger resolutions with lots of antialiasing built in. 2000 is very old, so there's a lot of later engine improvements that it doesn't have, but for an early style JRPG like Dragon Quest 1, you might want to consider using it. It's very cheap compared to the other engines, and there's an external utility that can make it work on Android.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with suggesting either MV or MZ as long as you don't mind images showing up a little sharper. How to emulate the battle screen may be tricky but I'm confident that it's doable. Good luck on your DQ1-like venture! :)

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's a head start. this is not mine

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for all the responses. I did purchase MZ today and messed with it a little after work. And Roninator2 I'm going to check out those resources thanks!

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations on the MZ purchase and let us know how things go! :)

Wolfhammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was exporting an Android version simplified in MZ? Because I remember it being a pain in MV, having to use Android Studio and jumping through hoops to get it working... I tried exporting one of my projects, game play itself was fine but I would get an error when it came to music and SE.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was exporting an Android version simplified in MZ?
As far as I know, no. Exporting for Web/Android/iOS is all the same, so you'll have to use other utilities afterward to make that HTML version function as an APK. In fact, that's probably worse than MV, where I at least see an option for Android/iOS that is distinct from Web deployment.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Wolfhammer, please start your own thread for your own questions. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

AABS laser beams features:
1,Shoot penetrating laser beams for player's normal attack
2,Beam's width/damage/comsumes/loot can be controlled by events/variables with great flexibility
3,Beam can rebound to walls or certain regionID
4,Can play SE when shooting beams
5,Beam's images can be solid images or animated ones.
Surprising nobody, it turns out "next Friday" for the next Jump into Javascript has become "possibly Sunday if you're lucky" XD
Folks, if anyone sends you a message inviting you to add their API to your game, please report them. We don't want people spamming our members asking them to add stuff to their games for their own (or others') benefit. We've updated the forum rules to confirm this.
I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WakeNBake