Which RPG maker should you choose? (for a beginner)

VitaliiKey

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
UKR/RUS
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone, I saw discounts on Steam for RPG Maker, which interested me (the budget is limited to 11 euros), but I'm an absolute beginner in this business, so I don't know where to start, to choose from: XP, 2003, 2000 and VX (I also wanted MV and VC Ax, but I don’t want without additions).

Is there any significant difference in these versions? Pros, benefits, is it possible to make your own assets, or use only ready-made ones! I would be glad to receive your answers.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are limited to the older engines, I’d probably go with XP, as it seems to be the one still used the most of those, and you’d probably be able to still find a decent amount of resources available for it.

VitaliiKey

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
UKR/RUS
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you are limited to the older engines, I’d probably go with XP, as it seems to be the one still used the most of those, and you’d probably be able to still find a decent amount of resources available for it.
Thank you, i will try it!

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All of them are viable but I highly recommend MZ or VXAce if you don't want the modern engines.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
XP is my recommendation as well, it's still my favorite of all of them. It does a few things differently from other engines, things that I really like. The most obvious is the different visual style--everything is a little bit taller-looking. The less obvious is the database and resource manager--the way the tilesets and sprites are handled is different from later versions, and I think it's a bit more intuitive. I think it also has the largest selection of resources packaged with it, which gives you a lot to work from in terms of making your own resources as well as a lot to play with to get a feel for it before you sink a lot of time into resource-hunting or editing.

VX Ace would be my second choice, mainly because the sheer volume of resources available for it on the forum. A lot of the XP sites are gone now, but VX/VX Ace were "current" for a long time and they're still popular. If I remember right, it's on sale right now for 10 USD on Steam, which I think fits your budget. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with it, if you put in the time to search for the resources.

Your mileage may vary, I started with XP and I never could get into the super-chibi style used by later engines. If you like that look, you might really like VX Ace. Of the ones you listed, though, XP is my hands-down choice.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone, I saw discounts on Steam for RPG Maker, which interested me (the budget is limited to 11 euros), but I'm an absolute beginner in this business, so I don't know where to start, to choose from: XP, 2003, 2000 and VX (I also wanted MV and VC Ax, but I don’t want without additions).

Is there any significant difference in these versions? Pros, benefits, is it possible to make your own assets, or use only ready-made ones! I would be glad to receive your answers.
MZ is the best, but with your budget I'd recommend MV, it's now on 85% sale,so it costs 11,09 euro on Steam. You really don't need any of the DLC and you will get a lot of stuff even with just MV.

If you really don't want MV for whatever reason and want one of those 4, then XP probably, 2000/2003 are fairly limited and VX is just a much worse version of VX Ace with some serious drawbacks (like only 1 tileset for the whole game).

MV also has a character generator that makes it much easier for a beginner to create their own haracters, while XP, VX and 2000/2003 don't have it. MV also allows for exporting games to browsers and mobile phones.

Last edited:

VitaliiKey

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
UKR/RUS
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I decided to take the XP version!

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if it's outside your budget, but MV is on sale for a really good price right now and I'd recommend it above the others because it:
  1. Has more support and plugins available.
  2. Is a more flexible engine powered by javascript--a widespread language with lots of tutorials and useful information available for it all over the internet.
  3. Deploys to a wide variety of platforms
  4. Has a ton of resources floating around
  5. All MV resources (besides MV plugins) are compatible with MZ (the newest shiny object) so if you decide you want to upgrade to MZ at some point in the future, any art, sound, etc assets you've accumulated will port over nicely.
  6. Windowed fullscreen (used by MV) is a lot less irritating from a player's perspective compared to the fullscreen used by vxa and the earlier engines.
For what it's worth, I first got my feet wet with rpgmaker by trying out vxa, but immediately abandoned it for MV when I decided I liked the engine and managed to snag a copy.

Edit: Doh, just saw the last post. Oh well, best of luck anyway!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Never Forget you've Got a friend, Even you feel your alone, Jesus Christ is there to Love and Be with you when your alone
6000 Plugins for RPG Maker MV, Pixel RPG Icons, & Reboot Pixel Font | RPG Maker News #38

Why not smash a guitar on your foes? Ability to play said guitar not included.
Two NPCs blinking animations in VNMaker and two to go. Some progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rauro