KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm again posting in the General Discussion forum. I hope this is the right place.

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade from RPG Maker XP to something else. I've been looking at RPG Maker MV and even downloaded a free trial. I've also been looking at VX Ace, and I don't know if I can make a fair judgement, as I only have a copy of the lite version.

Right now, though, I'm not really sure what the benefits of upgrading would be, besides better graphics and more map options. RPG Maker XP is capable of a lot if you know how to write some custom scripts, and I'm trying to learn coding anyway. Upgrading kind of feels like an unnecessary shortcut that might actually encourage me to be less creative with my game in the long run.

I think I would have to use scripts / plug-ins and rely on custom sprite work regardless of which engine I chose, so I wonder if I shouldn't just keep what I have for now?

Does anyone have a good argument for why I should switch to RPG Maker MV? I know it supposedly has more support, but XP has a lot of things for it, too.

My current project is a JRPG monster catcher with about nine levels (in the same genre as Pokemon, Nexomon, and Digimon, I think), and anything I choose is going to require heavy modification to get the game play mechanics correct, and since most of my characters aren't humans, the character creation tool isn't going to do much for me. Plus, I already have access to several scripts that will modify an XP project into something like what I want.

I'm still kind of impressed with the graphics in MV, though, and the pre-made maps look convenient, as I'm not much of an artist.

I doubt I'm going to release a final project using any of the RPG Maker versions, though, because I doubt they are capable of making what I have in mind for my final project. (Of course, I don't know if I'll ever release a final project, especially if the free demo isn't popular)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I upgrade or no?

Pros:
Better graphics
Events that replace complicated scripts
Compatibility with different devices

Cons:
Price

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here are the flowcharts

Do you want multi-platform ability?
> Yes -> MV
> No -> MV isn't necessary

Do you want 48px tileset?
> Yes -> MV
> No -> Older engines

KB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Here are the flowcharts

Do you want multi-platform ability?
> Yes -> MV
> No -> MV isn't necessary

Do you want 48px tileset?
> Yes -> MV
> No -> Older engines
What is the advantage of a 48 pixel tileset?

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as MV goes, plugins are a bit easier to use than scripts, at least in my opinion. Yanfly at least has a nice large library of supported, reasonably easy-to-use if you actually read the help file plugins. MV also has built-in sideview; something you'd need scripts for in VX Ace.

If you have an AMD A-Series processor I'd suggest going with VX Ace or simply downgrading to MV 1.5.2. upon purchasing MV; MV 1.6.1. (the current version as of this typing) has noticeable performance issues on such machines. VX Ace scripts also aren't going to get broken by updates and VX Ace is also a little cheaper. Personally I also like VX Ace's RTP better than MV's, but that might not matter much to you.

It's a matter of personal preference, really. They're both perfectly functional programs.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@D.L. Yomegami : Even 1.5.2 might not be a far enough downgrade, as we have a user that has been reporting issues with AMD since at least 1.3.1 of MV. I've even gone as far as to test their project on my non-AMD CPU to see if it was project dependent, it wasn't, as I got none of that on my PC.

@KB: There's an identical thread on this also in general discussion, you might want to read it as well.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
48 pixels just means there's more pixels in a single tile. More details, but bigger (so effectively same resolution).

If you plan on coding I would suggest MV as the engine is more open and you have access to PIXI (Ruby/RGSS and its WinAPI is kinda a pain in the ass). MV actually makes the core code accessible and easy to modify (if that's your thing).

VX Ace has more scripts, so you might find more stuff for it.

Honestly, you could just stick to XP. In the end, if cross-platform isn't important for you the engine choice doesn't matter much.

PS.: Just in case you have an AMD ryzen processor, I have no issue with MV (R7 1700 OC).

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you were to upgrade, I'd recommend going with MV. It's more flexible and can deploy to more platforms. It hasn't been around as long as Ace, so there's probably not as much in the way of resources or plugins as you might find for Ace, however it's the latest and greatest and more people are moving to it and away from Ace, so that's going to turn around before long.

A lot of people (myself included) believe the VX / Ace / MV mapping system was a step backwards when compared to XP. Play with the trial and see what you think of it, because it does take some getting used to.

But honestly, if XP does what you need it to do and you're happy to stay with it, then stay with it. Don't update just for the sake of updating. Have a good reason. Especially if you're in the middle of a project - it can take a lot of work to convert things, no matter which version you go with.

Ace Lite is just like Ace with a few limitations - number of entries in database tabs, number of maps and events (?), and you can't use any kind of scripting. But for the most part it should give you a good feel for the engine. MV is Ace on steroids. You do everything pretty much the same (except scripts), but it's better :)

Given the time of year, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few sales on the store and on steam, and maybe even another humble sale coming up soon. Use the trials for both engines, then if you're not in a hurry, wait for one/both to come on sale.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Project Discussion and Support[/move]

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't like default MV due to being expensive, but low performant. However, unlike other rpg makers MV allows for nearly infinite extendability via Javascript and nw c++ modules both inside and outside of MV. So you can build pretty much anything with it, including 3D games. If you won't use it, I recommend XP. If you find XP not being enough, I recommend you to skip VXA and go straight to MV.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
For those fans of Star Trek.... and those wondering about the NEED of constant upgrades...
"Let us redefine progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean we must do that thing."

This probably goes more for constant purchases of the next generation of iPhones. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just had a stranger SPRINT away from me in the grocery store. Talk about overreaction...
...I don't think I'm that ugly! ^-^
I wonder if I can go outside ye-

Government: lemme stop you right there
Alright, who's playing Jumanji? And whose turn is it?!
*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KURAMAA0