Which RPG Tropes Are You Actually Fond Of?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by OgreKiddo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which RPG Tropes & Cliches do you love seeing despite it popping up too many times across the history of RPGs? Which Tropes add flavor & despite being a bit overused, do you believe is kinda necessary to have?

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  2. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I dont think tropes or cliches are a problem.
    Better a good trope or cliche, than unique bad.
    I dont have a favorite trope/cliche I want to see, everything is fine if it works.

3. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a big fan of the world-destroying force trope, like with:

Kefka wrecking the planet

Lavos causing the apocalypse

Sin on a rampage

Stakes like that make the game much more gripping, especially in the final battle.

4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't think to discuss if it's badly done or not is the matter of discussion here.

---
    That said, mine is probably level-grinding. As long as it isn't super ridiculous to have a high-level requirement to pass the stage.

kaukusaki and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  5. Lornsteyn

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    This is not really a discussion and I answered his question, I just threw a personal opinion in my post like everyone does from time to time.

6. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fetch quests are a essential trope in RPGs. Trying to deviate from that is difficult. One trope I never get tired of is the whole 'Max Stat grind to Godhood' (like farming for stat boosting items or FFX's Arena). What I would like to see more in RPGs is branching storylines where going to different places & interacting with different NPCs & exploring side dungeons trigger different paths that lead to different dungeons & bosses.

Finding & unlocking potential of Ultimate Weapons & individual character trials are others I like seeing.

kaukusaki and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  7. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like level grinding, especially if the game is hard and/or open. For me, it's a battle of patience and willpower.

8. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In JRPG the mandatory hot spring scene. It's so cliche that I am actually more curious about how and when are they going to include it than about the scene itself lol

I also like the trope of the OP NPC character that you can't use for some reason throrough the game and in the final segment they join your party (wheeen it's well done).

Jellicoe and Finnuval like this.
  9. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We are on a quest to kill god! Its so terrible, but its kinda wonderful thanks to how stupid it is at the same time.

Animebryan likes this.
  10. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like many of the RPG clich├ęs, but it also depends a lot on how it's done:
    -Protagonist is teenager/young adult from a small town, who happens to stumble across a magical artefact, or becomes the chosen one.
    -The protagonist wields a sword.
    -All the class tropes, like shy healer girl, tough guy tank, nerdy mage etc.
    -First dungeon is a forest.
    -The antagonist is an evil dark lord with no redeeming factors. Bonus if comes with extra red, black and all the spikes.
    -Stealing stuff from people's houses, despite being the hero.
    -That one fanboy/girl NPC who follows you everywhere.
    -All physical pain and suffering can be instantly recovered from by drinking a potion.
    -Attacks in combat that look like the detonation of a weapon of mass destruction, but leave no impact on the world whatsoever. Also using said attacks on ordinary animal enemies, like rats or spiders.
    -Using endgame stuffs to faceroll over enemies because your numbers are just too high.
    -Wasting time fishing/playing mini-games when the fate of the world is at stake.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  11. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes to those 2 omg the mini-games one, Idk how much time I've lost trying to get a jackpot in dragon quest XI or fishing in any possible game xD

12. pickledylans

pickledylans lov the cronch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The power of love and/or friendship is always a big fav

13. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma Feeling Mousey Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't usually think about tropes too much, but I am a fan of the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits setup, may or may not become good friends, but either way are there when you need them the most and are generally fun to have around.
    As well as characters who are Childhood friends(One of the two HAS to be the Girl Next Door!)
    Also the whole "Several people merging into one being" trick always welcome!

Jellicoe and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  14. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    - Scantily-clad hot girls pulling off impossible stunts. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
    - One of the major villains being leading hero's dark mirror.
    - An optional superboss near endgame that's a challenge to beat (providing it's fair and still allows a variety of strategies to be used rather than just one correct way which can only be done by acquiring a super rare item).
    - A choice of romanceable NPCs you can sweet-talk during your missions.
    - Animal companions.
    - Hacking or lockpicking minigames (if done well, as they can offer a nice change of pace and make you use your brain)
    - Collectable items that can be used to enhance your weapons and armour with stat bonuses or new abilities.
    - Main party being the underdogs in the story.

15. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    To be honest, I actually hate most RPG cliches, and the ones I do like aren't all that common. I'd say the most common cliche that I actually have a soft spot for is but thou must questions.

16. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My favorite subversion of a trope happens to be that one. Remember a game called Golden sun where at the end of the prologue the villages resident floating rock god tasks you with saving the world but if you say no enough times (I think like 3 or 4 in which the "but thou must" line is uttered) it'll show a quick scene of your two characters walking out of the cavern and give you some scrolling text saying something like "you stayed in the village and lived out a peaceful life until eventually the world was destroyed" then rolled end credits. :guffaw: It was nice.

As for Tropes I am fond of:
    -The villain with heroic intentions that just keep going awry due to unfortunate circumstances.
    -The hero is actually the villain (rare but memorable where I've seen it used)
    -definitely second (or third) the kleptomaniac hero trope. Game just isn't the same without the option. (although points to the developer if the residents are capable of actually calling them out for it even if it's just shaming them. So rare in jrpgs it's always a shock when they don't just stare vacantly as I rummage through their unmentionables in search of treasure.)
    -Animal companions, definitely. Though I most like to see them serve rolls outside of combat if possible, it's just no fun seeing a cute puppy run into a hail of arrows, magic or gunfire over and over even if he does have plot armor which allows you to keep reviving him. If you're going to have an animal combat companion then have the balls to make it like an actual party member who can measure up to the rest and not a glass anklebiter like a lot of games make them.
    -revenge stories where the avenger becomes a bigger monster than the one he hunts.
    -Child Oracles (I don't know what it is but I've always adored those standard anime/jrpg tropey little kids who are clearly made out to be smarter than all the adults in the room yet still childishly innocent on some levels.)

Jellicoe and Matseb2611 like this.
  17. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One that realy gets talked about... How in most RPGs, you go into people's houses and just straight-up steal their stuff. I mean in Zelda (which, admittedly, isn't a true RPG, but has many RPG trappings) you break people's pots to steal their cash.

It never fails to crack me up because it has become so normalised.

Jellicoe and Animebryan like this.
  18. Mordridakon

Mordridakon I am a dragon! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with this, tropes are fine if done well, horrible if done badly.

19. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finding treasure boxes in like a sewer or whatever random environmental place that you definitely wouldn't find a treasure box. Usually gives me a chuckle. And I don't "hate" that it's there, but rather enjoy the silliness.

Some honorable mentions would be destructible walls containing edible food items that give you health/temporarily increase stats etc like in Castlevania. That and just "leveling up" in general, and people being perfectly anatomically correct after being bitten/shot/stabbed/incinerated/electrified/ran over/gored/frozen/generally beaten from head to toe/and poisoned with no heinous scars or grievous wounds even after being killed and some how resurrected by something you can pick up at the local item shop. Repeatedly. Like it seems the more this stuff would happen to somebody, the LESS capable they would be of handling it again and surviving through it. I got gored by a minotaur then an axe slammed across my face and chest like 5 times. It's cool, I'm an anime character, so I'll continue looking this way forever. No problem.

Treasure in the sewers or random shiny boxes distributed throughout a forest though, can't get enough of that.

AmieLK, Matseb2611, megumi014 and 2 others like this.
  20. Lornsteyn

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Never thought about this, I think Im already used to it, I agree its weird.
    In my current project I placed some chests in the wilderness, too, like its normal to find one there.^^

Jellicoe and Sauteed_Onion like this.