Which RPG Tropes Are You Actually Fond Of?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by OgreKiddo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Chosen One
    Because it's easier to follow (Also that makes me somewhat special)

Collect McGuffin from a different place and put em together
    Same reason as above

CRYSTALS
    Because why not?

World Scale Disaster
    The quest to save the world never gets old tbh.

Cliche Shonen type of character
    I can't explain why though

Entering NPC's house and looting without permission
    Actually, it's more like I never really mind about it.

A boss that appears out of the blue unrelated with the actual story, but it just serves as a gameplay obstacle
    Because well I'm playing a game.

Dungeon design that has no connection to the lore/why it makes sense
    Jumping into a floating platform in the forest bcz why not.

Fourth Wall Breaking
    Good comedy if done right.

FirestormNeos likes this.
  2. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is the typical "fanservice" scene in which they go to the baths. I don't usually like fanservice, but I like the hot spring ones because you can be in a fantasy futuristic set with no relation whatsoever to Japan and yet the group finds a japanese-style hot springs with its bamboo separations and everything lol

I like that trope when they acknowledge it, with some NPC telling you off (but still doing nothing to stop you) xD

3. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those sorts of things are fascinating cultural insights. It's a bit like how in Gunbuster (the anime); the giant space station has a railway service, yet while it was built by the UN and is a multi-cultural operation... The station looks and functions curiously like a Japan-Rail station in real-life Japan. I'm not being critical here; I genuinely love this stuff. It says something about "the mundane", and the stuff we all consider to be "the norm", when really that's only the norm to us, where we're from.

Seacliff likes this.
  4. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The princess trope. Can't get enough out of these. :p

5. GuiltySlug

GuiltySlug Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My all-time favorite trope is the bit where everyone you've met throughout your journey shows up to help you in the last battle. It's kinda lame, but something about the "power of friendship" really gets me.

6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a sucker for traditional, medieval classes like Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Wizard, Bard etc. (or at least well-defined classes) especially when I get to choose the party configuration. Having to work with the strengths of each class and past the weaknesses is always appealing to me. As much as I love FF6, the one thing I've never liked is that every character is, or at least can be, the same short of their unique ability.

7. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I guess I like the collecting the magical macguffins Trope too, mostly because I like collecting things for some reason.

8. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I'm just going to leave this here since it's partially relevant to the discussion. Have a laugh:

V_Aero, Frogboy and HexMozart88 like this.
  9. StaticUndertones

StaticUndertones Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not against being unique, but I think changing something just for the sake of it is kind of pointless. So I don't mind when certain things are left as I'm familiar with them, such as elves being woodland creatures who are pale and possibly have a strong connection to the earth and animals or whatever. If someone made a game about a certain type of old folklore that I was used to seeing a certain way, I'd expect at least some of that to be represented. Otherwise I feel like you should come up with your own species of creatures. It would be hard for me to get used to 'my elves are mermaids and live in a floating cloud ocean'.

10. Nivlacart

Nivlacart I just opened an art shop 11/6 :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A pure saving the world fantasy.
    Dragon Quest nails it.
    Even after going through other RPGs like Witcher, Etrian, Final Fantasy...
    Somehow, despite its simplicity, I always eventually have a craving for just a simple 'I want to save the world' with no edginess, no twist or betrayal or funky theme or political scenario with kingdoms and whatnot.

Just me, my buds, my holy sword and the demon lord.

11. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good vs Evil storylines.
    Don't get me wrong, I love when my villains have more meat on their bones but I find most "gray vs gray" storylines to essentially be jerks vs slightly bigger or smaller jerks with no likable characters. Sometimes, a villain whose just pure evil is a ton of fun.

Saving the world!
    Well it doesn't always have to be the world, but you get the picture. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth had yo saving the entire freakin' multiverse and Hourai High had you saving a high school. The point is, I want to feel like a hero at the end of the day and do heroic things. I hate when games, RPGs especially try to subvert it by making it where you were the bad guy all along. It makes me feel like my time was wasted.

Random encounters
    I love the idea that the forests, caves and fields you travel through are so dangerous that monsters lurk at every corner and I especially love when bad guys dungeons' are absolutely crammed with monsters and people trying to stop you. It adds a level of almost powerlessness that games with on-screen encounters just lack.

Front-view battles!
    I will never get the appeal of side-view battles. Frontview battles let enemies and backgrounds have so much more detail. Take The Slayers vs Final Fantasy V for example. Even though The Slayers is a presumably low-budget licensed RPG, its battle system is more interesting looking. Granted, there were some games that made side-view battles looking amazing like Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans and Treasure of the Rudras sont front-view systems are, um, not that good like Legend of the Super Saiyan but still.

kirbwarrior and StaticUndertones like this.
  12. StaticUndertones

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes! I agree with all of these things, haha.. It seems like in a race to be different, people forget why the original formula works so well, because it's fun, and sometimes you just want to feel like the good guy and know that good can defeat evil. I know it's not for everyone, but I actually always liked random encounters and even front-view battle systems. Now I'm scared to use front view because I've seen so many complaints about it, although honestly I don't understand what difference it makes when the battle outcome depends on your choices, not the chibis floating across the screen. Also, for me at least, it breaks me from being in the place of the hero, and I get this momentary disconnection from the immersion of the game. I think it's a little more fast-paced too, typically. When there aren't random encounters, I do tend to avoid more than I should sometimes, so I do prefer random encounters too.

Darkanine likes this.
  13. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Absolutely love this video, however it doesnt contain any trope I actually like :D

14. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This sums up my feelings on front view really well. Most side view systems in RPGMaker the enemies are static and the players aren't, which I find is worse than a front view system in the end and really adds nothing to it. Also if you want to get enemies that are not static and are animated too, the average cost for that is $95 per enemy (based on quotes I've seen in classifieds), which will bankrupt most game makers here easily unless you only got like 3 enemies in your game.

Also +1 for feeling like your group of adventurers were heroes at the end. Nothing stinks worse than feeling like your actions didn't matter in the end. Trails in the Sky SC was terrible at this in my opinion, as nothing I did in Chapters 1 - 5 and 7 mattered at all. Get to the location, bad guy completes plan anyways and gets away every time. Gets old after the 6th time and makes you wonder why are you here?

And now for my addition to this:

Grinding:
    Too many games nowadays worry too much about the player grinding to high levels and do all sorts of things to try to gimp it, and oftentimes this comes at the cost of fun. Even indie games that claim to be emulating the old school games are guilty of this, as what they forget is the old school games you could grind! All wizardry games (except 4) if you are feeling underleveled you can grind. Might and Magic 1 - 3 and 6 - 8 also let you grind (4 and 5 didn't as there were finite enemies in the entire game though). Even the Gold Box games you could grind to a degree. Sure, it might take you forever to get that extra level or 2, but the point is the option was there.

Nowadays though I see too many games either try to restrict grinding by either finite enemies in the entire area (no respawning) or such huge penalties on top of rising EXP costs to level up that you can't effectively grind (wow, I got 1 EXP from this fight that took me 5 minutes, and I need 40,000 to level up). And I just find this funny as they say they are imitating the old school games so I have to ask...which old school games? As every single one I played grinding was an option.

kirbwarrior and Darkanine like this.
  15. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That, and the way the battlebacks in MV look, your sideview heroes can look like they're the sizes of mice with how big everyday objects are compared to their sprites.

Edit: Typo

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  16. StaticUndertones

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would never want to inhibit grinding. If your player wants to take the time to become op, why not let them enjoy it?

17. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Regarding the hot spring scene, the game I'm making has a hot spring scene! Yay!

Oh, I like when you're in a magical or high tech area of floating platforms and some big boss decides to fight you on a platform instead of just causing it to flip over and letting you fall to certain death.

18. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ancient civilizations with advanced technology. I always loved the Dwemer Ruins from the Elder Scrolls series because of how interesting they were. But probably my favorite application of this trope is when it's presented as a plot twist rather than a casual piece of the lore.

Just imagine this: You have a party questing through a medieval-ish world. Every once in a while, you'd come across these weird golems, or perhaps the enemy faction has access to weapons beyond the party's comprehension. Then, towards the end of the plot, they march towards an uncharted territory in search of the big bad's base, only to see... the remains of a New York-styled metropolis. Dilapidated skyscrapers, rusted automobiles, ancient mechanical constructs that have gone haywire. It suddenly dawns on the party, and the player, that they have been living in a post-apocalyptic world. Something caused all of society to regress to a primitive state, and those who remained have lived on top of the corpse of a once-flourishing utopia for who knows how long.

That's borderline psychological horror, and I love it. Especially if the plot implies that history is doomed to repeat itself if the heroes don't do something.

FirestormNeos likes this.
  19. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Monster Collecting

A lot of people on this forum don't seem to like these kind of RPGs, but honestly, they're my personal favorite kind of RPG. I love collecting all these cool looking monsters, plus I also like the worlds themselves because they tend to show a world where humans and non-humans are living aside each other: we're animals aren't just objects, but also companions. This is something I miss in a lot of modern media, and I can't help but love these games for having that connection.

That being said, I have been looking for a good new one for a while. I am kind of hoping TemTem or Dunpets Colors, or even Pokemon sword and shield turn out good.

20. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Nice. For something as relevant, pop-culture wise, I feel that this isn't done or paid homage to enough. (Though FFX could fit into this a little).

Why?

Because that's the shocking twist ending in Planet of The Apes.

Daena Grey likes this.