Which RPGMaker engine did you start with?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first one was RPG Maker 2003, I'm pretty sure. But my first finished game was in RPG Maker 2000 (preferring the RTP over 2003's). I would've continued using RPG Maker 2003, if only the combat options and combat eventing had been a little more robust. I still prefer RPG Maker 2003 over the modern engines for mapping and out-of-combat eventing, and the ease of using old school looking assets without upscaling them and getting them all blurry and stuff, but working with the combat is such a massive downgrade compared to the new RPG Makers, it's just not worth it.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I adore that Team XP graphic. Do you stick with XP because you think it's the best or is it just what you're familiar with?
Both kind of. I did try out VX before I bought XP, but I found it confusing and didn't like its limitations. Plus most of my favourite RM games were made using XP and I enjoyed the RTP a lot more. I do think if I was new nowadays I'd probably only use MZ so there's definitely the nostalgia/used to factor.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I started wit a pirate copy of VX lol. Then I saw VX Ace on sale on Steam and buy it. Since then I just keep collecting them, even when I have only released one game in all those years :LZSrasp::LZSrasp: :LZSrasp:.

The_Sarah

Let's make great games together!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
VX Ace user here!

Always wanted RPG Maker 3 on the PS2 but my parents never got it for me as a young'un and I didn't really know how to work the magic of ebay back then :(.

So, alas, I didn't really get an RPG Maker (VX ACE) until 2013 or so when it was on sale and didn't really spend much time with it until this very year!

Finally pursuing my game making dreams and ambitions now and learning my first coding language (Ruby) with VX Ace has been a blast so far!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will definitely be giving MV and MZ a go after my first commercial game release with VX Ace though, the idea of learning JavaScript next is quite appealing to me and doing it with these engines is really cool.

Lots of people stick with their firsts though, so for all I know after my MV and MZ learning I might still find myself coming back to VX Ace (I understand the Script Editing system is different in those ones too and I quite like the VX Ace one).

Last edited:

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
read about psx rpg maker in EGM bought it and for the PC side imported 95 because i realised it's a lot of work and having a rapid dev kit was easier XD hustled for imports until legal copies became available. made lots of weirdo games in 2k/2k3. My fav downtime was making games in all the maker games on psx/PS2. I love rpg maker 2. It's so cute! XD

When XP came out i learned Ruby to make it jump through hoops without so many events to make my game size smaller for upload. Also Also I liked the mapping system and its cuteness. (You see a pattern here? Sucker for cuteness lol)

Got serious when VXA released (yay for character generation built in! Less work and no more frankenspriting lol) but life and health problems slowed me down. I reverted back to XP when my computers were down but favored VXA.

I still suck at Ruby and once MV released in a language I actually know (JS) I went off the rails also hoping to get things on Android (still problematic tho).

However I still prefer VXA and use it as my starting pipeline, converting ilto MV since I have it down to a science. I hadn't messed with MZ much but I'm all for automating tasks I don't have to program lol. I'm just not a big fan of effeksor but otherwise it's pretty solid

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Started with VX Ace. Migrated to MV when it went on sale on Steam.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Start with RPG maker on PSX and PS2 series ( RPG maker 2 and 3, btw they both have good soundtracks ), later move to XP later VX before stuck with VX Ace for quite a long time.
And skip MV entirely because it's so heavy to run it on my PC, considering moving to MZ after trying the trial because there so many improvements that I'd wanted on RPG maker.

guess that's it

:rtea:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Started with XP, Just played around for a while..
Spent most of my time on VX Ace, Made 3 Finished Games..
Spent some time on MV, Never made a Finished Game..
Now trying out MZ, Just playing around for a while..

I'v never been so excited since, MZ makes me feel like first time i got to play around with XP all over again..

ApproximatelyCats

Teeth Eating Anomaly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I messed with the Playstation I think once when I was little, but I officially 'started' with XP. I just picked up MZ and am having fun getting back into RPGMaker again. I have both VX ACE and MV, but the mapping and some other things just never sat right and didn't really click with me.
If anyone is interested in MZ, do try the trial and mess around. Yes it looks like an 'updated' MV on the surface but it has a lot more going for it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Started with Ace, still use it. I like XP for its RTP, though.

NeoArashi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first I tried was RPG Maker 2000, but the first one I used to seriously attempt making a game with was RPG Mker 2003. Although Iwill admit I never really finished a game (Well, I did complete one with 2k3, but it was incredibly short and had a crappy story) The RPG Mker I currently own are 2003, VSX Ace, MV and MZ I also have FES on the 3DS and Preordered MV on the Switch.

Catriona

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MZ is the first one I've paid full price for. (Well, I say "full price", but I think there was a pre-order discount and a further discount for already owning MV? Or maybe a pre-order discount if you already owned MV? Something like that.)

I think I got MV in a humble bundle and VXA in a sale. Never used VX or 2k3 (or any of the console versions), and my copies of XP and 2k were, uh, less-than-legitimate (which I'm sensing is a pattern).

Technically I started with 2k, though I can't even remember what I did with it. Mostly I remember the game my brother made with it, for which I wrote the music.

I certainly put a lot more effort into my attempt at an XP game, though I kind of lost momentum with it when the game grew to about an hour long. I ran out of ideas. In hindsight what I probably should have done was start working on later sections I did have ideas for and then find ways to fill in the gaps between, but for some stupid reason I wanted to make the game in the same order it would be played. It's taken me years to break that habit (and, honestly, I'm still not really sure I've fully broken it).

I never really looked at scripting in the earlier versions. I still don't know Ruby. But I've done a couple of projects (including my uni Honours project) in JavaScript and, much as I hate JavaScript, I have to say I am having fun with plugins in MV and MZ (especially MZ, since ES6 did actually address some stuff I hated about previous versions, such as finally letting you declare local variables).

Now that I'm invested in MZ, I can't really see myself going back to previous versions. I saw that the old versions were really cheap in the Steam sale that accompanied MZ's launch, and I was tempted, but to be honest I'm not sure I'd use them.

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I first made a demo with 95, but Don Miguel's 2k was when I got serious and started spending hundreds of hours on RM.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RPG Maker XP and that thanks to Aveyon for saying "This game was made in RMXP", unlike people today who shy to say which engine they're using to make the game :p

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm an RPG Maker 1 (for the PlayStation) OG, as well. I got pretty involved in the communities (first GameFAQs and then the RPG Maker Pavilion), although I never managed to make anything more than areas I could test stuff in... at least not until RPG Maker 3 - which, while very limited, was easy and appealing.

RPG Maker XP was the first PC version I really used - and the incredible flexibility it provided (compared to the PS versions at least!) was such a game-changer for me. It turned game-making from a dreamy hobby into a passion that I wanted to pour my entire life into. And here I am today, still pouring my entire life into it. :guffaw:

Chimaera

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I started off with RPG Maker 2003 years ago. I made some weirdly short games that made no sense, and stopped. It was mostly just me and my friends messing around. Back when the RM websites were still around, I had no idea there was even an engine specific for these games, until I played one of Aveyond's games.

I started using 2003 but I think I had a free version at the time, since I had no idea I had to pay for it. I later found VX and used the 30 day trial period. When VX Ace came out I jumped on that for 30 days. Eventually MV came out and I decided to just buy it.

Corygon

Storyteller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I believe I got my start with RPG Maker 2003.

Ateliae

Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My order of RPG Maker series has been
VXA, VX, XP, 2003, MV, MZ

So far VXA is my preference/favorite.

Zalzany

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
VX Ace, never used a single plugin till this week lol. I got MV, but honestly never used it. Now I got MZ because I got that itch again to make my own story, but at same time make it more interactive like an old school RPG. To me that is what this engine does best, not making some fancy stuff, but taking a story, and making you live said story as the player.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Quest For Female ---

Guild Leader: Ladies,you got a Job for today. You have to Battle with Marauder,only Female must to this Job.
F.Magic Knight: So,only Female can do this?
Heroine: I can't wait for this!
Gunner Lady: Well,i can use the Seduction Skill to them,It's effective for Male Target
F.Knight: You always use that?
RPG Maker MZ just crashed, please tell me I didn't just lose 4 hours of progress.
>be me with a separate game for testing
>NPC doesn't stay in new position after leaving the map
>looking for tutorials, nothing useful
>checks plugin of save even location and installs it
>testing the game

"Oh... IT'S WORKING, IT'S ACTUALLY WORKING!!"
My current peak of boss design.
energy drinks have made this week SUPER productive so far lol. I finished one of my overworld maps, along with 2 other maps and a way to traverse to said overworld map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tln143