kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have no problem with squatter sprites (such as rm2k having a 3x2 body) but something about the way VX/MV does 1x1 just doesn't look as good as, say, Final Fantasy 4.

In this particular instance I prefer A but there's just a bit of 'stiffness' carried over from B that I sadly am having a hard time quantifying for you :(

Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Everybody and their mum prefers larger sprites, yet no artists have picked up the task of forming a team with others and a coder to produce a generator for larger sprites with a consistent artstyle. I'd imagine that'd sell incredibly well if priced low enough. Most RM devs have neither the drawing skills nor the budget to commission that. (Remember, you can't just use large sprites for your party, no, you need large sprites for every npc as well. That's easily thousands of dollars.)

Missed opportunity in my book.
Yes you are right.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Either's fine, depending on what sort of vibe your game is going for. I do, in general, prefer tall sprites over chibi sprites (especially if we're talking about the VX/VXAce ones).
Everybody and their mum prefers larger sprites, yet no artists have picked up the task of forming a team with others and a coder to produce a generator for larger sprites with a consistent artstyle.
I mean there's the Stella Character Generator, but that's still a work in progress.

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
At first I thought the answer is easily 【A】, but the 1:2 ratio may be a bit too much for how the sprites are made, maybe it's just because of how the VX-character-designs are adapted to it. Still prefering it way over sprites that look like a painted balloon with hands and feet attached (or in short: 【B】).

~炬燵あ

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They're planning on adding Linux support in the next update, I believe.

Another tall sprite generator is the Universal Character Generator on Steam.

In that case, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. I have the Sprite Height Modifier already, but there are still definite limitations to what can be accomplished with the RTP & Trinity parts.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like both. Though, if I had to choose, it'd be A. But for now, will stick with B until I give an option for a Remake and then I'll edit everything so it'd be tall sprite.

I mean there's the Stella Character Generator, but that's still a work in progress.
Everybody and their mum prefers larger sprites, yet no artists have picked up the task of forming a team with others and a coder to produce a generator for larger sprites with a consistent artstyle. I'd imagine that'd sell incredibly well if priced low enough. Most RM devs have neither the drawing skills nor the budget to commission that. (Remember, you can't just use large sprites for your party, no, you need large sprites for every npc as well. That's easily thousands of dollars.)

Lol. I'm in the process of making my own Generator, too. Sadly, the only coding knowledge I have is of Python. So I'll be trying to use Renpy to help me out. My idea of a Generator is to add many type of walking style, fighting style, Male, Female, Kid, and their builds(skinny, obese, muscular, etc...) to help bring these characters to life. Plus, I've been wanting so many different styles of clothes like Egyptian, Viking, Chinese, Japanese, you name it.

It'll be a long while before I can achieve this as I've just started the base last week. Plus, I can't really promise much but it would be nice if I could get a team of my own, though, many people are afraid of being taken advantage of and it's understandable. I'm really no exception to this, either. Art is pretty expensive and one shouldn't take things for granted, including sprites. But my purpose is to create a generator for the sole purpose of those who can't do arts, plus, people might want different varieties.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@slimmmeiske2 @AkiraKotatsuhime How if i create handcrafted new chibi sprite without generator. Do you still prefer chibi or mack?
That would depend on what your chibis look like. ;) I think chibis work fine in certain games (cute, casual, retro, comedy), while tall sprites are better in other cases (horror, serious games).

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know you just needed some terms to distinguish one type from another. But even the bigger sprites are still totally "Chibi" (not that I would ever want to see realistic proportioned figures thrown into this perspective). And no, I don't care if sprites for the smaller style are made with generator or not, head bigger than everything else combined may look very ←キャ?ワ!イイv when it's nice-drawn artwork, but not on a 2D-character-walksprite.

~炬燵あ

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I choose A, but you can also use both, A for on maps with towns
to walk on, go into house etc.

B for overworld map if needed to look better there as most
overworld map are smaller.

but the question is more, what fits better in your game?
A or B, that depends on the houses, doors, trees etc.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
←キャ?ワ!イイv
As this is an English language site, I honestly do not expect to have to go and get any part of a post translated. Given what it means I personally don't see the necessity for you to write it in Japanese.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The only time my brother shows me any kind of support is by liking or LOL my Facebook Comments.
I finally finished the Coliseum for my game. Love how it looks. Credits for the assets goes to Kokoro Reflections, @Starbird_Resources, and @megumi014.
Colossuem.png
Mimics! Mimics everywhere!
Pirate portrait quickie :LZYcheeze:
pirate.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egashira75