Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm feeling very stupid right now, but I'm going to ask anyway... I've been having some slightly frustration issues with tiles.
I'm sure I'm the only idiot that will ever ask this, but is there a way to have the tiles show if they are Floor/Wall/Ceiling when you are making a map? Like set some kind of label/overlay Letter on each tile for me to reference what is what? If not maybe even just someway to rearrange the actual tile in the tilesets to separate them the way I want them? I tried searching around the forums to find something like that, but I had no luck.

I also have another question about tilesets while I'm at it. I know XV/XV ACE/MV are all different from each other, but I'm trying to find out if any of the XV/XV ACE tilesets can be used with MV at all? I'm not sure how they differ from each version, and I've seen tons of posts/links here to so many different resources on here, only to realizes it's listed for XV/XV ACE when I start to look through the stuff. If not is there a good place that anyone can direct me to that has LEGAL Tilesets/Resources for MV please? I don't want to use anything Illegal accidental or otherwise, so I figured the safest bet is to just ask for safe links/threads/sites.

Thank you, and again I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question. I had issues with not being able to walk on what I thought looked like/I wanted to use as a floor, and had my characters stuck only able to walk on the Outer most edges (What I used for walls, but was actually floor tiles i'm assuming) and not able to walk anywhere else inside the building... also walking through what I wanted to use as a wall. It's making me crazy.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually ground/floor is A1, A2 and A5 tiles (though some A2 tiles are meant to go on top of other tiles, like the poison floor tiles and the counter tiles). A3 and A4 are meant to be walls or buildings only. That as far as I know is true for ACE and MV.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There isn't any kind of labelling that will tell you, except the RTP tiles usually have a description when you hover over the tile, that shows up in (I think) the bottom left corner? Custom tile packs usually don't have this, as it's hard to set up. And you certainly wouldn't have it if you're making up your own tileset by combining others.

Basically, from the A3 and A4 tile sheets, the rows alternate - you'll get a roof/treetop/ceiling row and then a wall/cliff/trunk row. So if you can tell where the first A3 row is in your tile palette, the odd-numbered rows can be walked on, and the even-numbered rows can't be.

There is no XV. It is VX. RPG Maker VX, and RPG Maker VX Ace. The tiles are different sizes to MV, but they are all formatted the same (A1-A5, B-E). You can use an image editing program to increase the size by 1.5, and you will be able to use them in MV. I used waifu2me and got some pretty good results with the latest version (the paid version was awful - don't waste your money). Note though, that you will still need to own VX and/or VX Ace in order to use their resources in MV. And if there are custom resources, you will also need to check the terms of the artist, as they might specify that you need to own a certain version of the engine.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you that helped clear things up a bit. Also sorry about the XV/VX I was have a dyslexic moment. As far as custom resources go, I thought as long as I have the owner/creators permission I can use them. So I still need to buy VX/VX Ace even if it's an original creation that doesn't use the base tiles from either VX/VX Ace? I'm just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. Thanks again for the help!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're using a set that was based on Ace tiles, you need to own Ace to use them, regardless of which engine you're actually using them in.

If they are custom resources that were made from scratch (not edits of Ace tiles), then you don't need to own Ace.

The terms of use that come with each pack should state whether you need to own a specific maker. If someone says they're edits of Ace tiles, then you should automatically assume that you will need to own Ace if you want to use them.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, that's what I thought, but wanted to make sure I was understanding things correctly. I just bought the SAKAN Tileset Builder to use for now just to be safe.

Dragonkissed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to add a quick Update: To clarify my original issue I have since figured out it wasn't actually the tiles I was having issues with, but the what I was trying to do with them. I was trying to make the rooms inside buildings 3D like an idiot. I was trying to create a ceiling on the top/outside of the map, give it walls inside those tiles, a floor inside the rest, then trying to create walls to separate different rooms with each having a ceiling as well, and give all the walls depth by adding length at the same time. I realized when I couldn't find any tiles listed as Ceiling, but found Walls, Floor, and Roofs that I was doing something wrong. I finally went back and played a few of the sample games, and some of the older Final Fantasy Games like 4/5/6 because I knew it had to be something I was doing wrong. Anyway Thank you again for the help. Now I can get back to learning more about the Program.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ngl i feel like im morbin out
I've made a lot of small changes and fixes over the past couple weeks without actually making any progress on my game...now I'm running out of things I want to change, and I'm terrified that I might have to start being productive again...the horror! D:
I made a mini devlog about the sprite animations I've been working on! You can read it by clicking here

applebuds-dreamtrotter.gif
What happens with this list, is it currently possible to buy any of these RPGMAKER at least those that are for PC?

Combat skill combination demostration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zuriel124