Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Benny Jackdaw, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm considering buying MV in the future, but I want to know a few things.

1: What are the graphics constraints for side view battles? How big can player sprites be?
    2: Can it play turn-based and real-time combat systems? I prefer turn-based, which is the one thing I dislike about 2003, since it only plays real-time combat.
    3: What types of sound and music can it play.
    4: I want side-view turn based with the potential for fairly large character sprites. Can MV do this? ...Can VX Ace do it?

Also, anyone know any good programs for making 8-bit sound and music?

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It has standard format, you can go as big as you want as long as you follow the format

If by real-time, you mean ATB, the default MV has no ATB built-in. But you can switch between side view or front view

ogg and m4a iirc. No midi (for MV), unless maybe you include midi.js

MV has built-in sideview feature, while VXA you need to look for the script. Both are capable

3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. Pretty big. Amount of animation frames are limited to 3 unless you use a script/plugin that allows for far greater control.
    2. Anything from XP and onward is turn-based only by default. There are plugins that do active time battles, like 2003, but they are considered buggy since these systems were never really meant to run like that.
    3. Ace can use OGG, MP3, MIDI and WAV files for it's media. MV is limited to OGG and M4A, but I personally like this better to cut down on a confusing number of format to work with. OGG and M4A are easy enough to work with and make. Audacity can make both formats, provided to install the FFmpeg library needed for the latter.
    4. Refer to answer 1. Also, as TheoAllen said, sideview is script only in Ace. MV has it and front view if you desire.

As this is my field of expertise, I can tell you that there are several ways of making 8-bit music and sound, but they require some time and effort. If you want to go the cheap and non-authentic way, there's soundfonts with MIDI and the bfxr app online for quick sound effects. For authentic stuff, FamiTracker is the way to go for true 8-bit. That or Deflemask, which also allows for Genesis, Arcade FM, C64 and so on. A middle of the road, between authentic and non-authentic would be the NES VST that you can plug into a DAW. If you don't want to learn a music tracking program, that'd be what I recommend.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just download the trial and check it all out for yourself.

5. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    By the way, are there any sales coming up for the RPG Makers?

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We don't get announcements of sales that are coming up - only sales that have started. I don't believe there are any on at the moment. But the trial lasts for 3 weeks, I think, so you can have a play with it and maybe there'll be a sale before your trial has ended.

7. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Tried it out for a few.

First off, minor, but I love the fact that the Behemoth monster is a hippo. Hippos are badass. Also loving the two-tiered stages, because it gives a lot of diversity.

...But...

I was planning on using it to make a game with custom graphics, but I'm not finding an RTP or graphic files. Is it POSSIBLE to use your own art in the game? Also, I don't think I can buy this on site, but if I were to buy it off Steam, would it give me a code I can use for the trial I downloaded?

8. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Almost everything is possible with MV, you will just need some knowledge to do stuff that's not native in the engine.

You can use any graphic you want. But if you use bigger/smaller sizes(Let's say 64x64 or 32x32 for each sprite) than the engine default size(for example) you will need plugins, that are made using javascript.
    You can change the battle system to anything you want. Side view, real time(ATB), front view, what ever you want. You can change the way that monsters/players are animated (using stuff like dragon bone to build a more realistic animation). You can create online battles(will require a lot of knowledge since we still don't have a completly developed plugin for multiplayer stuff, but possible). You can create what ever type of battle you want.
    You can change the way the character move in the map. It can be pixel movement, or the default movement + diagonal, or create grids smaller/bigger than the default(like 24x24 grids). You can change the way colisions work. You can build physics to objects and transform everything into a platform game. Or create a Z axis and make things in 3D.

MV, in that 1.6 update that will be fixed and released again, allows all that stuff(Thanks to the support to javascript[mainly] and C/C++[webassembly]). All you will need is knowledge of programming if you're trying to do something that's not already in the engine.

9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes, you can add your own art/music ect on any computer version of RPG Maker. I own all of them, can confirm. No, the Steam version doesn't come with a key. However buying MV from here will give you a key that works on both versions (this is only for MV). You might want to find out for certain if you can't buy from here and not work on assumption. I would hate for you to miss out on something for that reason.

10. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Does it make a difference?

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Between Steam and Standalone? Hmm, I like standalone better simply because I don't have to have Steam running to use it. The Steam version is required if you want to buy any DLC for that engine through Steam. Other than that they're basically the same.

12. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I downloaded 2003 off steam and I found a way to play it on another computer by putting it on a thumbdrive. I tried that with XP too, but haven't gotten that one to work. I click on it on another computer and nothing happens, not even an error message.