Which version of RPG Maker should I buy?

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, I'm new here, so if I have posted this in the wrong forum, apologies to the mods. I have spent around a week exploring Intersect, and I've been told by someone over on their forums that their engine is geared towards multiplayer RPGs which are played on the internet. It is a brilliant tool and free to use, but, as I want to make downloadable single player RPGs ( .exe files that people can download and run on any computer), it might not be the best choice for my needs. Someone over there recommended I take a good look at RPG Maker and I have taken a good look on your website, there is quite a lot of choice available, which is making it hard for me to pick which version is going to be best for me.

To be blunt, I don't have much money to spare, Can I export a game I create as a .exe file from the XP version, or do I need to buy the slightly more expensive VX (not vx ace, that is way out of my price range!)? Both these products have good reviews, and I know they're older programs now, but I want something that is easy to learn, and will give me the ability to create large expansive worlds containing many secrets and dungeons. I just want to make sure I am buying the one which most accurately meets my needs.

Also, if I were to sell the game I make, am I allowed to use the default graphics provided, or should I create my own? (pixilart is good for that, I made a few tilesets already intending to use them on Intersect). I am a complete newbie at all of this, but I've finally decided to take the plunge and make one.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
XP, VX and VX Ace will all allow you to create .exe files. MV and MZ will give you games that can be played in a web browser, but these can be downloaded onto a person's computer rather than played online.

Of XP, VX and VX Ace, I would definitely go with VX Ace. It comes on sale on a regular basis for a good price. You could certainly use XP if you wanted, but you would be limited in availability of scripts to customize your game, and it is more prone to script incompatibilities than the later engines because of the way the code has been written. If you're not too worried about making something that "looks different" that probably won't be an issue.

I want something that is easy to learn, and will give me the ability to create large expansive worlds containing many secrets and dungeons. I just want to make sure I am buying the one which most accurately meets my needs.

All of the engines will allow you to do this.

You can sell games you make with the default graphics. No extra payment or royalties needed.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If pricing is your only consideration, I suggest to wait on a sale for the Steam-Version of VXAce, as that goes down to less than 10$ several times a year. There was even a case once when Ace was available for a single dollar. Just check https://isthereanydeal.com/game/rpgmakervxace/info/ for any sales

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Shaz, I don't think I will be worried about scripting, because I don't actually know any coding languages and if I tried I'd probably mess it up even with hours of tutorials!

Andar, Thanks for that link, I've bookmarked it to keep an eye on the price.

Seems you both think Ace is the better choice, so I'll just wait and see how cheaply I can get it. Maybe there will be a Halloween sale or something.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
In general, RPG Maker engines let you code stuff, and the communities share scripts for adding different functionalities and tuning existing options. Of course any point you start to deal with code, it's good/adviced you have at least the basics covered for coding, in case you find small issues.

Incompatibilities exist no matter the engine, coder or what have you. But I do agree, XP's structure is a bit less flexible.

I'd say, the best option is checking each of the trials, try them out, see which one you find suits more your liking. All of them are equally valid, and usually is more a matter of preference (speaking of VX tho, VX Ace is a clear upgrade, most is the same but expanded).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say, the best option is checking each of the trials, try them out, see which one you find suits more your liking.
This is a great idea. All of the engines have a trial of 20-30 days. However, you can't start making a game in one engine, use up the trial, download the next engine, and open the same project in the next engine. They're not compatible.

Note that a lot of the most basic things will be very similar, if not exactly the same, especially as far as making events and adding event commands. None of them are really easier or harder to learn than the others.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks guys, this is really useful advice. I guess what I could do, would be to do as you suggested, try out each engine. I could do so by trying to make something very small in each, say, a bit of fishing in a pond and talking to an NPC that sells bait or something. That way I can get a feel for each, get used to their tilesets and then decide which one is for me.

I'd figured that I wouldn't be able to open a project done in VX in XP because XP is the older version, however I had thought that the reverse may have been true. If not, it's no big deal, as long as I pick the best one for me, and only do the trials on a small throwaway project. Since I will only be buying one version, I guess it doesn't really matter if there is cross compatibility or not, because in the end I will only be using one engine.

I must admit, I do like that these programs have a trial period, it's going to make my final decision much easier.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Turns out I can't try out all of them, only the VX Ace will work properly on the computer (XP would not let me start a project, and VX just would not start!). I will be looking at tutorials and stuff on youtube to learn as much as I can, and save up some money each week until I have enough buy the program. I've got the trial period installed and I have to get used to the way it is laid out. It seems very different from the setup on Intersect so I am once more learning from scratch. Since this is a popular program, I suspect there are probably some good tutorials on youtube. I'm quite a visual learner, so it is useful for me to physically see how something is done.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hmm it's weird that only VXAce works on your PC. I still use XP on Windows 10, on a PC bought this year lol.
But hey! That's another thing that's great from trials, you can check if there's a hardware incompatibility or something. Also VXAce is great. Might not be the latest, but I think it's like fine wine, just cheap.

I've bought Ace at least twice on Humble Bundle for $1 (for gifting). XD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(XP would not let me start a project,
That has nothing to do with RMXP itself

The original default location for projects has become a restricted folder with Win8, that is why the older RMXP refuses to write into the default project location.

the solution is simply to select a different, not restricted folder to store your projects.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Andar, that is strange that it would become a restricted folder. I guess some oddities pop up when trying to run older programs on a newer operating system. I am running windows 8, and I am guessing that the XP version was probably designed to run on windows xp originally.

Orochii, It's a good thing I discovered these issues before I actually bought anything. As it stands I am going to continue to use the trial version of VX Ace, and hopefully buy it shortly thereafter. I've spent a good couple of hours today watching tutorials, and I've been building the bare bones of my world map. I have made a cool looking land mass surrounded by water, containing a bay, a desert, three rivers, a forest, a snowy area, and a wasteland pitted with lava and dead trees (this is the area I am planning to put my final boss dungeon in) I'm figuring out where to put my villages, dungeons and hidden stuff.

I am so far enjoying it, and the tutorials on youtube are easy to follow and understand, so I'm definitely buying, it's a case of when, and a case of wanting to not pay more than necessary. If it goes below £20 (when there is a sale on), that is when I buy.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on
Doing RPG Maker News for this week. (January 14th - 20th, 2022)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lumiki