Which version of Rpg Maker should i choose?

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will come up with my own unpopular opinion.
XP and onwards are great and versatile, yes. They can be beginner-friendly, yes. But they can be a bit overwhelming/intimidating for someone just getting started given all of the features, scripts, bits and bobs.
If you are looking for something simple to begin with and get a hold on how RPG Maker works, my opinion would be RPG Maker 200x. Once you're more familiar with the engine, the best choices are VX Ace and MV, so far. (Cannot say anything on MZ since it's not released yet)

Last edited:

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Should you choose to go for MV, you might want to preorder MZ instead. It's currently cheaper than MV and comes with a free copy of MV, which you can use right now.

If you're wondering which RPG Maker is newer, here's a list (from oldest to newest) of products that can be bought either here or on Steam:
  1. 2000 (Steam only), also known as "2k"
  2. 2003, also known as "2k3"
  3. XP
  4. VX
  5. VX Ace
  6. MV
  7. MZ (coming soon)

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you can afford it, pre-order MZ and you’ll get a free copy of MV that you can start playing with right away.

In general, I’d not recommend anything but the latest since the old makers are, in more way than one, obsolete and painful to use. MZ is not even that expensive so there’s litterally no reason not to get the latest and greatest with the exception of someone gofting you a free copy of an older maker.

If tou’re going to pay money, pre-order MZ (and use the free copy of MV).

If you’re a young kid with almost no money, see If you can get someone else’s ”free” copy of MV that they got when they pre-ordered MZ. And save money as best you can to buy MZ yourself later.

corpsegrindah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
If you're looking to start something new, I would say MZ is coming out on the 20th. and is the same price as MV. I also believe you can get a free 30 day trial of any of the makers on their site. I started with VXAce. omegle online
Can i use my Paypal account instead for credit card fro trial.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can i use my Paypal account instead for credit card fro trial.
You don't need either paypal or a credit card for the trial, that's free, which is why it's time limited. And when it comes to buying it, you can use either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One 3-day jam and a Game Awards... this month is moving... \o/
Maker-ing has been being the best thing that happened to me this year so far. it is so good to rescue some old skills fo creativity and the people I have met are really incredible. I love my coffelanders and tocudos buddies. Maybe one day I will reach other countries folks too. S2
Well... My game plays better at 1920x1080, so I guess that's the new resolution. Still runs at 60FPS. :LZSexcite: Also... I really want a boss to be able to build new maps around the player... Mostly because it's visually spectacular! I'm er... not quite sure yet how I can do that without making MV explode.... But I'll find a way, anything in service to the "sparkles"! :kaopride:
How to change your netbooks screen resolution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vollar45