Which vewrsion a game uses

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How can I tell which version of Rpg Maker a game was made with? If it was not in the description of the game.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suppose one of the ways would be checking the file endings. MV has something along the lines of .rpgmv if they used the encryption. Other than that, once you played a couple, you will be able to recognize engines by their assets for most games.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Post a link to the game here and someone might be able to tell you.

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
If the game has an LDB, and LMT and some or even lots of LMU-files, it is made in RPG2000 or RPG2003. RPG2003-games usually but not always have extra-folders that are named Battle2, BattleCharSet, BattleWeapon, Frame and/or System2, depending on what they need and how they were packed for distribution.

RPG_RT.exe can in most cases be the most clear identifier if the icon wasn't replaced:

1664353933743.png RPG2000 1.00~1.52
1664353938929.png RPG2000 1.60~1.62
1664354084120.png RPG2003 1.00~1.09
1664354088322.png RPG2003 1.10~1.12

All but the first of these four categories often have a version-information in the EXE which should tell you more about it.

If the game has the folders Audio, Data and Graphics written with a capital-letter at the beginning, it's very likely it is made in RPGXP, RPGVX or RPGVXAce. In most cases, RPGXP can be excluded when there are folders named Fonts and/or System.

Most the time, creators leave their project-mainfile (which doesn't contain any crucial data) in the game, you can identify it by its filename-extension (RXPROJ=XP, RVPROJ=VX, RVPROJ2=Ace), similar goes for the format of files inside the folder named Data (RXDATA=XP, RVDATA=VX, RVDATA2=Ace). If the game is packed with RGSSAD, you can identify the version by the encrypted game-package's filename-extension aswell (RGSSAD=XP, RGSS2A=VX, RGSS3A=Ace).

In Game.ini, there is a DLL referenced that tells you by name which RGSS-version is used if it wasn't just renamed, most likely it also fits the RPG Maker the game was made in (100~105=XP, 200~202=VX, 300~301=Ace). Game.ini in RPGXP lets you define 3 RTPs, only one in VX and Ace. There should be a Game.exe, which if the icon wasn't swapped will look like this:

GameXP.png RPGXP
GameVX.png RPGVX
GameAce.png RPGVXAce

There may also be RPGXP-games using the RGSS3-engine and thus utilizing Ace's RGSS3-player to properly run it.

~炬燵あ

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was just too curious, so I tried to solve the problem by roughly writing the specifications of the RPG Maker style system (like a programming language).

I can able to see that ChatGPT-3 understands the problem well and proposes a solution according to the specifications I defined.

Adobe Premiere just crashed so hard it broke my GPU drivers sending me on a DDU quest. Why does this company with it's awful software subscription model and bloated software still dominate the industry? :rolleyes: Can we collectively agree to not support this company any more?
Stage 1 Card.png
struture-wise, my game operates more like a beat 'em up than an rpg. so each area of the city you run around in counts as a stage when you first get there. A silhouette of the boss/bosses will be in these stage intro pics, along with the stage name.
I still do this kinda stuff and I think this came out really, really well. Solo violin really helps this piece shine.
Currently at beginner level, checking tutorials on YT and Skillshare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gracetierney