Whispers of Fate Announcement W/Demo (Now supports MAC)

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update: Version 0.1.5. Is now available which also supports MAC OS X. You can download the new versions from the website.

New additions include: Some updated dialogue. 

A new fishing system.

A new auto save system (not fully implemented).

I've also hidden a "Mystic Stone" in the new version. If you find it, you'll be able to summon a mystic beast!

I'd like to note: I have not extensively tested this version as I did the original, so I apologize if it's not 100% working.

I do not have a MAC so I can't test to see if the MAC version works.

Please let me know about any bugs or issues you find! Thank you.

I am currently in the process of uploading the Windows version, so please be patient if it's not up yet. I'll update this post once it's up.

The MAC version is fully uploaded though. Windows Version is up!

Hello all. First I would like to say, this is technically my "first" rpg maker game. It had originally started as a VX Ace game and since then has undergone many changes.

I have worked on it's current form for about a year now, and I feel it's finally time to put it out in the world and get some feedback on how it's coming along.

Whispers of Fate is a game inspired by classic JRPG's like Final Fantasy and the like. I aim to create a world that really brings the player in, makes them want to learn more about it.

I want to create a great story with memorable characters. I want to add loads of exploration, fun combat, and ways to interact with the world around you.

Story

Without giving out a ton of spoilers so you have nothing to look forward to while playing the demo for yourself...

Whispers of Fate is set in a world 1000 years after a crystal meteor eclipsed the sun. The sun scorched the planet and forced all civilization to live in manmade caves in the mountains.

After the eclipse they descovered pillars made of crystal, these pillars had restorative powers that could bring life back to the land.

This game focuses on a party of 9 characters. While not all of them are in this demo, you will meet the four most "Important" ones to the plot.

All these years after the crystal eclipse, something very odd is going on. Towns and villages are being completely "destroyed" and their citizens have vanished.

Characters

I will now introduce you to three characters.

Face_1.pngSeth(or whatever player names him).

Seth is a young outgoing man, he has been struggling with strange dreams plauging his sleep of late.

He is someone who would do anything for his friends.

He was raised by the head of the church in his hometown of Kaeda (Father Maru) and looks to him as his father in all respects.

Face_3.pngLu

Lu is the "big brother" figure to Seth.

His oafish ways and humor keep life fresh.

Lu has taken over ownership of the (poorly up-kept) tavern in Kaeda, so he can keep an eye on Seth and Rain.

Face_2.pngRain

Rain is a childhood friend to both Seth and Lu.

She is very gifted in the mystic arts of magic.

She has been raised by Father Maru as well, having been found on the church steps wrapped in a blanket with nothing but her mothers locket.

She has become the town healer of sorts and is respected by all who live in Kaeda.

Screenshots

Here a few screenshots of the areas you will visit during your playthrough of the demo.

Fathrin Lake.

2016-10-12T23-23-12.526Z Fathrin Lake 00.png

Here's an example of a custom battle back. 

Battleback.jpg

And here is the hometown of the characters introduced above, Kaeda.

Kaeda.png

And last but not least, the current (obvious work in progress) world map of Toria.View attachment Toria.jpg

Demo Download

Okay now for the best part.

You can download my demo from here

I apologize for the larger file size, but I hope you find it to be worth it!

Follow The Game

I have also created a Facebook page that you can follow the game from here

A website for the game here

And a youtube for the game here

I hope you enjoy this short look into the world of Toria. I have given my all into this game and world and I so hope it pays off.

Please leave your feedback, I will be eagerly awaiting to hear from you!

Last edited by a moderator:

ScientistWD

Innocuous
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, game dev Jxudo, I would like to play your game. I managed to do a few newfangled tech tricks to play the first ten seconds of it, and I'm really intrigued.

But I think I'd find this game a lot easier to play if there was a Mac version. Because I am on a Mac. And I can only do so much.

I'd appreciate it, is all.

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, game dev Jxudo, I would like to play your game. I managed to do a few newfangled tech tricks to play the first ten seconds of it, and I'm really intrigued.

But I think I'd find this game a lot easier to play if there was a Mac version. Because I am on a Mac. And I can only do so much.

Oh I actually didn't even think about this. I will get on that as soon as possible! Thank you for showing interest and bringing this to my attention!

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've now uploaded a MAC OS X version. Now I will note I do not have a MAC so I can't test it. So please let me know if it doesn't work! Plus this is an updated demo version 0.1.5.

More features and other stuff is included in here. I hope the new MAC version works for you!

ScientistWD

Innocuous
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks a lot for the Mac version!
I'll be sure to play it when it finishes downloading. In eight hours.

I'm not quite sure about the nuances of your upload, but it looks like it's going to take an absolutely unreasonable amount of time for me to download? I think it's because you uploaded it whole without compressing it first. I think that "MEGA" or whatever is compressing it before I download it, which is I think what it's supposed to do. But for some reason it takes forever. I think if you make it a .zip before uploading it, it should be a lot easier for people to download.

I don't mean to be a huge pain! I just. Would like to play if I can. Give the game a right and proper chance, you know?

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm not quite sure about the nuances of your upload, but it looks like it's going to take an absolutely unreasonable amount of time for me to download? I think it's because you uploaded it whole without compressing it first. I think that "MEGA" or whatever is compressing it before I download it, which is I think what it's supposed to do. But for some reason it takes forever. I think if you make it a .zip before uploading it, it should be a lot easier for people to download.

I don't mean to be a huge pain! I just. Would like to play if I can. Give the game a right and proper chance, you know?
Hmm, well I did compress the windows version, but I read that if you compress the Mac version it can screw it up.

I will try it, so sorry for all the complications!

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Quick question, did you click "download as zip" or "standard download"?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Jxudo, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

All you need to do is to use the Edit button on your first post and add your additional comment.  What a lot of people do is to type EDIT above the new content to make it clear what's been added.

Also, please do not quote whole posts just to indicate who you are answering.  It makes the page slow to load and to scroll down, especially for those accessing this on their phones.  If you want to make it clear who you are replying to, just use the @username convention.

Thanks.

ScientistWD

Innocuous
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, well I did compress the windows version, but I read that if you compress the Mac version it can screw it up
In my experience, it has actually been the opposite. I had to re-upload my Mac version because it wasn't compressed; when Google Drive compressed it for users, it got messed up. When I compressed it myself on my end, it worked better. I think.

Quick question, did you click "download as zip" or "standard download"?
I used "download as zip". "Standard Download" started downloading everything piece by piece, which is a huge number of files that I wouldn't know what to do with.

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Jxudo, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.
Sorry I was using a phone and it wasn't working properly. I've ready the rules all through before and I apologize for not being able to follow them. I will avoid it in the future.

@ScientistWD Ok, well I will compress and upload momentarily. I'm sorry for all the trouble. Hopefully all this hasn't made you lose interest.

Edit: Okay well it's uploaded you can grab it here. I'm getting nearly 1.5 mb speed when trying to download it, so if there's a problem this time I don't know what to do haha. Thank you for your patience, I so hope it works for you.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello Jxudo,

I haven't played the demo (yet) but from what I can see on your pictures, I would like to warn you against a very common mistake made by makers on their first games : they tend to map too big. When I see your village, it seems huge. Does it really need to be ? Because nobody wants to walk that much if there is not much to do on the map, and by the look of it, it will be very difficult to fill this with events or villagers.

As I said, I didn't play the demo so I could be completely wrong about this, but I just have a hunch ;)

Your mapping skills are nice, by the way.

ScientistWD

Innocuous
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I finally downloaded and gave it a shot! I must say, the new intro looks great!

"Failed to load: audio/bgm/Ga%C3%AB1_Brulin_-_07_-_Breath_of_Skies.ogg"

Well, gee, looks like I'm skipping the intro.

There is a typo in the description for Flower Petal. "Crafting component" not "Crafting componant".

And I got to another failed to load audio track so I think I'll give it a little rest for now. Fortunate for autosaving.

And fortunate for you, because always have plenty to say!

First of all, your game has I think a few too many tutorials. It's great that you want to keep players informed. But I could have figured out the entirety of crafting on my own in just a few moments of "Oh I got a mushroom" and "Oh neat I can craft antidotes". Which is pretty cool. But even things simple as the "flashback things" (I forgot the name) hardly need an explanation other than Seth's "Oh I remember a time...", especially if you always use the same on-map icon for them.

And as for the maps? I disagree with Saneterre. I think they're really good! From what I've seen, they're good looking and dynamic and whatever. They're big, but extremely detailed. I like it a lot! You make MV's overused default assets look good, and I mean that. Just a few polishes go a long way after that.

But as for the meat and morsels of what I just played...

ATB can be a serious drag if the pace is too slow. And with only one ally in battle I really hope the next ones are scheduled for "soon" because I can not stand waiting for the little gauge to fill up so I can do. Anything. I think if you increase the tick speed or something it should all work out mostly fine. Maybe.

Nextly, the tutorial for battle absolutely blew me away, but like in a bad way.

Battle in general is a big snore and I avoided enemies because of it. Combat should be interesting, and that starts with both players and enemies. I think. The thing is, if your game is supposed to be largely about battle, you don't want players to be constantly avoiding battle because it's a chore. But I can feel a bit more than that coming from this game than just battle.

Crafting is kind of neat. I grabbed everything because it was shiny. It makes me wonder how different resources will be hidden in the future to be discovered. Of course, I didn't really play long enough to find that out. Which was a shame.

So all in all! Looks very good, but plays a bit obnoxiously as far as the tutorials and long-winded ATB is concerned. I will play more when I don't feel like going to bed. But the first twenty minutes or so left the impression I've here described. I hear there's a town? I want to get to the town.

Keep on going, if you can!

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SaneterreOh trust me, I've put a lot of time into the maps and there's plenty to do. Try the demo and tell me what you think if you are so inclined:       

@ScientistWDHmm, it's gotta be a problem with the MAC version because all bgms work in the Windows version. 

Anyway, thanks for the detailed info. Would it be best to simply add the tutorials to the inventory for people to look if they need to? And as for the battles it gets faster once you're past level 1. You get another party member once you get back to town and go to the tavern. After that you're not alone again. I may switch it to dtb, I've been trying hard to figure out how to make battles fun. How did you like the preemptive strike mechanic? The demo is a heck of a lot longer than 20 minutes lol, it takes me 4 hours to just run through and play test. And there's areas to explore everywhere. You'll even get to the world map with a bunch to do. I hope you continue playing the demo. And again thank you for the feedback and showing interest. Sorry for this unsorted wall of text,I hate trying to do this stuff on phones.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I wanted to try your demo, but 720 MB ? That's really huge (particularly when you obviously used the RTP a lot).

I may do it but my connection is bad. I usually don't download demo over 200 MB

Jxudo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SaneterreThe file size is mainly due to the music. I've not used a single default track. I've also made some of my own sound effects. It's also over 4 hours long. So I suppose it's up to you weather you feel it's worth it. Trust me I understand poor connections... Thanks for taking a look either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....
Finished with the ground work for my class system, using Ellye's Class Change Equipment and Yanfly's Class Change Core plugins to implement an equip based subclass feature!
Hi people! I was wondering... Here in Brazil, we have a whats app group for we talk about rpg maker and our projects. A more informal way for we meet each other. Is there any whats app group out there? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member