Who are the pixel artists behind RPG Maker XP?

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Whenever I open RMXP's tilesets to study them or to get a reference while I'm doing a pixel art piece, I'm thrilled with the quality of those graphics. I'm pretty sure the artists behind this engine were real pros. What if some of them actually worked on games before being part of RMXP's team? What if some of them still create art of some sort? I'd love to know that.

Does anyone have a clue who are them? I wonder about that from time to time, but every time I make a web search on this I never find a thing. Maybe there's a list of the team somewhere, on a Japanese website or something? I don't know Japanese and Google Translator only takes me so far, so if you have any idea where to look or who to ask, please post here. Any help is very welcome. :)

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm curious too. I was checking this old link through waybackmachine (ツクールBlog ) because I remember some RM2k3 art tutorials that I think were made by their staff, but I couldn't find it or any names. Only found a bunch of producers and programmers :I

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm curious too. I was checking this old link through waybackmachine (ツクールBlog ) because I remember some RM2k3 art tutorials that I think were made by their staff, but I couldn't find it or any names. Only found a bunch of producers and programmers :I
Thanks for the link. If anywhere, I guess old Famitsu pages could have a list of names. I also tried checking the RPG Maker XP itself for some credits, but I've got no luck. Maybe I didn't know where to look? Anyway I can't think of any good reason why the artists wouldn't be credited, so it has to be somewhere.

Maybe some old schoolers know better? @Archeia @Lunarea @Celianna @Shaz

Last edited:

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
First Seed Material. Also known as Mack and Blue or REFMAP
Thanks for answering! I'm with @mlogan, as much as I was familiar with FSM/REFMAP/Mack, I never knew they did XP's RTP. Are you sure about that? It's not that I don't believe you, but the technical quality is so much better on XP's tiles than on the other resources they are mostly known for.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FSM are still making awesome tilesets for MV. The FSM packs and Cel's Ancient Dungeons are my two most favourite tilesets, not just because of the style & quality, but also the number of packs available and the size of each pack.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for answering! I'm with @mlogan, as much as I was familiar with FSM/REFMAP/Mack, I never knew they did XP's RTP. Are you sure about that? It's not that I don't believe you, but the technical quality is so much better on XP's tiles than on the other resources they are mostly known for.
If you visit their old sites and individual members, you will notice that like any good artist, their art style changes massively.

It was discussed here a whole ago and Venere Marte confirmed it that they've been around from 2k-VXA, but the thread has not been archived sadly. But instead I managed to recover the credits list: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/16888-rpg-maker-vx-ace-dev-list/

Executive producer: Kouichi Hamamura
Product manager: Yoshimasa Mori and Ken Takeda
Producer: Kenji Sugiuchi
Director: Kenji Shigetoshi
Assistant Director: Keisuke Kawashima
System designer / Programmer: Youji Ojima
Art director(sprite and tileset artist): Makoto Miyauchi (MACK)
Face graphic artist: Humio Minagawa
Battler, title and battleback artist: Artbomb Inc
Animation artist: Jouji Hiraoka
BGM and ME composer: Soundtech Inc
BGS and SE composer: Puresound Inc

Cover illustration: Huu Midori
If you need another case, Entacl created the MV rtp but they have an amazing portfolio of pixel art works that is completely different from their work with MV.

Last edited:

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If you visit their old sites and individual members, you will notice that like any good artist, their art style changes massively.
You're absolutely right. I guess I only say that because I find pixel art more appealing, but I shouldn't compare them both so loosely. When it comes to pixel art, MACK's tilesets are technically impeccable, but the graphics that proceed RMXP —despite being very well done— are made with another art form (low-res digital painting) that has its own terms. What is considered high quality within the pixel art medium isn't the same for low-res digital painting and vice versa, so I can't simply say XP's art quality is higher than MV's —at least not without any context and consideration.

Before your reply I actually found some statements on LooseLeaf archives in which MACK indicated he was the lead artist for XP's RTP (tilesets and characters). Although this is very nice to know, it's also kind of frustrating because I may have started this search a bit late. I mean, if he was still activelly creating art of some sort I guess it wouldn't be so hard to find.

If you need another case, Entacl created the MV rtp but they have an amazing portfolio of pixel art works that is completely different from their work with MV.
Oh I'll definitely take a look. Thank you very much for all the new information. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Monster3,4 added!

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_L7