Who else makes houses like this?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Monkeysnow55 The Cookie, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    Who else makes houses, shops, and stuff like that? Sometimes I have fun making houses like that anyone else make houses like this? Or am I really unique? :)

Small House.png

2. Arin

Arin Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy! Veteran

First Language:
    Fraglspock
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your house is incredibly small. Where does the person go to eat their meal? Unless your setting is incredibly incredibly backwater and old-school, no one eats on the floor. You also don't have any windows.

Next time, for future reference, use the Game and map Screenshot thread if you have a question regarding the mapping of a certain part of your game.

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    IMHO, having the roof visible and the inside visible at the same time is not looking good...

ShinGamix likes this.
  4. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Just for lulz...

[​IMG]

I like your houses. It reminds me to Lufia and Dragon Warrior/Quest. IIRC they used that kind of houses where ceiling dissapeared when you were at their inside. Or just plainly didn't made them.

So this derives into a question. Does ceiling dissapears as you enter the house, or it's always "open"?

sai and Holder like this.
  5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I think it's ALWAYS open... in case it's disappearing, make the whole roof disappear...

6. CrypticCuddler

CrypticCuddler Free Hugs Member

First Language:
    English
    I do think having the roof panels in the house has some appeal =w= 

Like for me, I was actually considering having it so that, while in some parts of your house, you can see the outside even while being inside..just to see some greenery and such.

I mean, why NOT take advantage of the top-down perspective and get a bit creative? Hur hur

7. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with the others, don't use the visible\invisible roof in that way, it looks ugly as hell.

Take a look at this crappy example that I did:

[​IMG]

It's not perfect (it was done in barely 5 minutes) but it's one of the few decent methods that you can use to make an house.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Susan likes this.
  8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    it just doesn't look good when the walls have roofs, and the inside fully visible...

plus it depends on the actual roofs used... like on the pic, he used the default roofs which are looking forward... seeing those roofs on the side and back walls of the house doesn't look good... if he used sidelooking and backlooking roofs for the sides and backs, then it might have looked fine...

if you want visible roofs while inside, I suggest you find a way to make the roofs, semi transparent instead, that will be better... just don't mix the visible + invisible roof...

9. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    I found someone else on the internet who makes houses like that, so I made the house like it. I made more space and added a door. :)  

I tried to put red on top of the door but...It didn't work.

House upgrade.png

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    not because you saw someone do it, you'd need to do it too... anyway, if you really wanna pursue this, at the very least find side and back roofs...

11. arekpowalan

arekpowalan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That house is an incredibly abridged version of what a house would be. I have seen a lot of small houses like that in many RPGs, particularly in games like Dragon Quest and Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, where all houses are stuffed into one village map, and therefore they need to be made with smaller portions to make exploration bearable. I wouldn't say it's bad, as I prefer to call it a style. It doesn't look realistic, but it's rather compact and unique if you want your game to be different from others. Just add more stuff or eye candy, and you're good to go.

In my opinion, an incredibly small, undecorated house is still far suporior to a huge room with a single bed and a table.

Screen1.png

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    though really, those roofs make it look weird... side and back roofs can really help him...

13. arekpowalan

arekpowalan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with you. In my opinion, Mack tiles are more appropriate to make a house like that, thanks to the more inner-area like roofs.

14. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    >.> ... <.< ... >.<

...But I really liked Wild ARMs houses. Disappearing roofs. Here's a 3min gameplay. Around 1:00 you can see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZhIFjSR06c

Bu'yeah, the back/side roofs can make that look better.

15. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Disappearing roofs is nice, but this one doesn't seem to be a disappearing roof case... it's a Wall-only-roofs case

and anyway, the other facing roofs will still make it look much better...

16. mahan

mahan no lack of courage! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I thought I was only the one making something like this XD hahahaha but I stopped making my buildings like this.

but here's what I really did before

1. Create multiple copy of each map to simulate a cross-section of a house
    2. If I will enter in a house I will enter on the copy of my original map but the roof of that house I entered was removed on the map copy.
    3. the transition of going inside the house was removed.
    4. the copies of your map will not always be as large as the original map, just make it  focus the cross-section of the house.
    I find this way of building houses really funny that I really feel that I don't move on any maps. But I still really like the drama of entering a door and fading then I am inside a building. And there's a feeling that If i am inside the house I don't like to see anything outside because you're only focus is only what's inside the house. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  17. T.G.Fighterdoken

T.G.Fighterdoken Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I don't so much like having the roof open in "town view".  I do think it works well from the interior view though, and I especially do like the "outside" being a little seen on the inside, it adds to a more "real" and less boxed feeling.