Who here wears or likes makeup?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Reapergurl, Jan 14, 2017.

?

If you wear it or like it, what is your favorite lipstick, lip paint, or lipgloss hue?

1. Earthy or Neutral tones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Reds

100.0%
  3. Pinks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Purples

100.0%
  5. Oddities (blue, green, black, white, silver, etcetera

50.0%
  6. I prefer stuff like Chapstick (it's cool by me!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @noctiluca Ha ha ha, I so know what that is like, to have pale skin (my hair is the opposite though but I dye it)...

Transformative looks, that's something I do often.

It might be that certain reactives already in your lashes and surrounding skin act up more when you use mascara. If that is so, you can use clear mascara and it shouldn't be so bad.

@kaukusaki Coconut oil, and color ink/dye. Of course, this is applied with a brush rather than a wand...

As far as finding some...I cannot help ya, sorreh. Googleeeee may be of some sort of help but...

kaukusaki likes this.
  2. ColdHate

ColdHate RMW revolutionary Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I like it when people use it correctly (If you know what I mean)

3. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Reapergurl and Marsigne like this.
  4. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @ColdHate What exactly do you mean by that? For the Record, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to use makeup.

@Arisa Or, you could try to make your own...maybe that might help.

kaukusaki likes this.
  5. ColdHate

First Language:
    Spanish
    I mean when they look like a clown with 1000 kg of makeup xDD it's a bit disgusting 

6. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @ColdHate I know a lot of people in the transgender community that would be VERY offended by your comment because it is very, VERY hateful and misogynistic.

One of my closest friends is in prison for beating a man senseless after he said that to her. She was made fun of, and traumatized by such misogyny.

It's mean and tasteless, no matter how you spin it.

Aoi Ninami likes this.
  7. ColdHate

First Language:
    Spanish
    I didn't wanted to mean that, i'm saying that makeuo is good but people put that quantity of makeup that they end worst than before. 

I don't know what you understooth 

PD:maybe I shouldn't said clown and make it clearer with another word lmao

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2017
  8. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Reapergurl I don't really understand how that's misogynistic, they're saying the same thing I said. Too much makeup doesn't look good, no matter what gender. Nothing really misogynistic about that. 

9. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @HexMozart88 Like, the 'clown' bit, yes it tends to be quite offensive. I know the intent wasn't malevolent, but choice of words, dear...

If one is overdoing it, to me there is usually a reason. If one has to use that much to cover up great flaws, then clearly something is wrong in their life.

If one is just inexperienced, be the teacher, not the bully.

For example, I may seem to present this 'overload', when I am really just being artsy. A rose stem upside my cheek with a blue rose for one eye and a purple rose for another would get me the same reaction four times of five...especially if the stem had thorns 'in the skin', causing bleeding that isn't really there...

10. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I definitely would, but 1. I am a horrible person. 2. I don't know how to do makeup (can't teach something I don't know how to do  :p ). Usually though, I don't really see it as lack of experience, a lot of people who I see wearing lots of makeup are trying to look Gothic when they actually aren't, and perhaps it's not really "clowns" although some people do put on ridiculously light foundation making them look like they have face paint. I don't know. Makeup just bothers me in general, especially eye makeup because I have a thing with eyes where I give no eye contact because I have really messed up dreams, so now I see most people to have doll's eyes and it creeps me out, and then when they wear makeup on their eyes it compels me to give eye contact, and then I start feeling a bit sick to my stomach, and I respond rather negatively sometimes. Yes I completely agree, clown was probably the wrong choice of words, but I still don't find it misogynistic because it's not female specific. Anyway, when it's lipstick, I just look at them and think, what happens when they eat? Especially if it's a banquet or something because they just wasted a whole bunch of time trying to put it on, just to have it rubbed off in ten minutes. Trust me, I've been in plays before, both guys and girls have to wear really heavy makeup, but they just look like dolls and it unsettles me. I just do not like seeing ridiculous amounts of makeup. It just makes me really uneasy because it's not natural, it's almost not human and I mean that in the least offensive way possible, though I probably triggered about half the girls on this forum. Again, horrible person, hence the horns on my avatar. There's a reason for their horns. As far as people having issues and trying to cover, I had a friend who did that but then they just started to do it to look punk. I was used to them, so I wasn't as sick whenever I looked at them, but it was still a little unnerving. I get it, though, even I have had issues and some think I'm a girl and some think I'm a boy and I don't really care anymore because why does it matter, eh? I don't have to think about my gender as long as I can still be Hex and I can still do what I enjoy. I don't try to take on the appearance of any gender, I don't dress like a boy, I don't dress like a girl. I don't wear makeup except as mentioned, with really bad acne. I'll wear my Doctor Who fan shirts if I want to, and people can assume what they want.

Movie makeup is good, and artsy makeup is good... sometimes. Depends. If you roam the streets like that, I'll probably be trying not to give you a funny look, but if it's for a dance or a play, I'm indifferent.

Oh, wall of text, I'm sorry. Third time in one post, I AM A HORRIBLE PERSON.    

ColdHate, kaukusaki and Reapergurl like this.
  11. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @HexMozart88 Actually, someone else mentioned the 'clown' bit. As it were, there are those in the transgender community that do not take well to that (I know because I'm in that community and have dealt with such slander).

If one cannot teach, at least don't bully.

"... some people do put on ridiculously light foundation making them look like they have face paint..."

Some people just don't know how to find their right shade, or are disturbed mentally (or one of over a hundred other potential reasons).

You avert eye contact. You and about 25% of the population of America...that's nothing new.

Ha ha ha...you're right about the lipstick part, well...there are ways to make it stick and not come off when you eat...

Plays? I've shared the stage myself, though...not for acting but playing music...

Yeah, androgyny is a part of my own life.

Nah, you're alright. Keep your chin up.

12. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'm not a fan of wearing makeup, which is just a nice way of saying I'm too cheap and lazy to buy it or put it on. 

I don't mind other people wearing it at all - for some people it's as important as wearing a shirt, and that's fine. The main things I don't like are when there's so much foundation on that I can see the powder, and when people try and exaggerate too much at once (i.e. having super dramatic lips, super dramatic eyes, and super dramatic contouring all at once). That's the point when it looks to me like the person is trying to hide their face rather than accentuate their features.

That said, I have several friends that wound up going to cosmetology school, so I'm used to seeing a lot of experimentation.  :D

Alexander Amnell and Reapergurl like this.
  13. Larry Jones

Larry Jones Veteran Veteran

When I saw the clipped title of this thread on the main page, I thought it was going to say "Who here wears or likes masks?"

...that is all.

Reapergurl and kaukusaki like this.
  14. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Heh heh, yeah. You can't bully if you don't talk. 

I know that, but most that I find actually do it on purpose and it's... uh... don't know the right way to say it nicely. You know what I mean.

Never said it was, but I've had a heck ton of people get on me about that, saying it's going to cost me a job one day. It's not like I can control it. I don't like creepy dolls...

I'm basically the only androgynous person I know, and it's really sad. It's just because I look one way and sound another that some people get the wrong message. I've been told that I'm rather attractive, but with my weird voice and accent, I sound really messed up indeed. I even contemplated putting on a voice for awhile before I figured out how dumb that was. So, androgynous I will be for the rest of my life, I guess. I'll know what I was born as, but when anyone asks what I identify as, I'll say a human being.

By the way, to quote someone, just highlight whatever section and click "quote this". I apologize if you already knew how to, it's just that I noticed you space out posts instead of quoting.

Anyway, I don't care if it's on a girl or a guy, be decent about it. If you have too much makeup, it just makes me sick to my stomach (As Hex makes a lame attempt at staying on topic).  

Marsigne and Reapergurl like this.
  15. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @HexMozart88

Sage Advice: Speaking...often times, you speak volumes with just your eyes. "You can't stutter when you're talking with your eyes..." - Soundgarden

I've never met or seen anyone who would do that on purpose, short of kabuki...

Ugh. People...maybe it's good that you and I live by ourselves (you know what I mean)...

Yeah, don't waste your time with fools, I've always said. Find your niche, find the one person who appreciates you for you, then just live.

Those quote boxes look rather chunky (it's just my brain that sees it this way).

As I have to live life on terms made by the unreasonable, I had to be subtle with my look for today's so-called 'big meeting'; I wore pink lipstick for the first time in over ten years (I'm not kidding)...though I want nothing to do with the manager, impressing him by adhering to his lackluster dress code for meetings is a must if I want my f-cking raise next month...so I can maybe, just maybe put some money down on a car...

And then, I'll ask Emily, the secretary out for a night of fun...

Of course, for that date, you can bet I'll be wearing my artsy look.

16. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    People used to tell me I was wearing white face paint when I wasn't wearing any makeup. Is that what you're talking about? :/

I've personally encountered the opposite far more often where white people wear too dark foundation. Even I'm guilty of it; when I was a makeup noob not only were there way less foundation options in general, but I thought having that line of orange across your jaw was just a normal effect of wearing makeup. Didn't really occur to me that I needed to wear something lighter, because they didn't sell anything lighter in the stores lol. Also I was around 12 years old and my peers were just as bad or worse with their makeup (this was the pre-YouTube era). The thought of using multiple shades of eyeshadow never occurred to me for the longest time either xD

And for people with really deep skin tones, they have even fewer options to choose from so often times the closest shade is still too light or the undertone is off.

Reapergurl likes this.
  17. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    I don't mind it, but I don't wear it, other than lipstick. And lipstick is annoying anyway, it gets everywhere.

I see absolutely no problem with men wearing it either.

18. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @noctiluca Sometimes, you may have to cover your neck as well; I know I had to for years to cover that blue shadow that I am sooooo glad didn't fully develop.

Yeah; a friend of mine has very, very dark skin; makeup for her meant she was going up a few shades...  >_>

@Amy Pond Yes, it can. Though, there are times when that's perfectly fine (I won't go there)...I do like your pretty pout in your avatar though...very cute, almost demure. Almost.  :guffaw:

19. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well fortunately I don't have to suffer through that anymore ^^; Kat Von D makes some pretty great pale shades and one of them matches me perfectly. I never liked putting makeup near my neck because I risked ruining my clothes, and I never apply it to my forehead either (because of bangs).

I hope companies get better at improving their formulas for dark skin. A lot of colors look straight up gray when applied, and I've never met anybody with gray skin before

Reapergurl likes this.
  20. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't particularly care if men wear makeup, though the men in my life usually wouldn't do that anyway.

Me, I'm kinda orange-gold in color and have Jessica Rabbit lips by nature. So every time I wear any red lipstick at all I turn into a stop sign! Mascara's not such a dramatic show-stopper on my face.

If I could wear strange colors without getting chewed out, I'd like to try black/dark blue lipstick and dark nails. Along with dying my hair a la Zorro (Underlayer dyed a stark color and upper layer remains black).

Reapergurl likes this.