Who is KEMCO?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by captainette777, Sep 15, 2018.

1. captainette777

captainette777 Mad Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anybody who's been on the Android/Google Play Store who frequently looks for RPGs on there may have come across a developer(s)/Company who posts a lot of games on there, called KEMCO. They make RPGs that end up getting really popular, and I also believe that a great deal of, if not all, of his/her games are made in RPG Maker. I've played a few and I really like what he/she does with their games, they're pretty fun and addictive. Anybody familiar with this developer beyond the app store, and if they are a community member here? It'd be pretty cool to meet them.

EDIT: Ahh, they're a company. I feel silly now.:kaoeh:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Kemco is a company, not an individual. They have been in business since the 1980's.

In 1997, they published one of my favorite N64 racing games: Top Gear Rally! And let's not forget another childhood favorite, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout for the Famicom!

More about the company here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kemco_games

They are a great inspiration to me as a developer, and to many other people as well! :)

ShinGamix likes this.
  3. captainette777

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wait, whaaaat? That's so strange, their stuff on the play store looks EXACTLY like it could be made in XP or VX Ace, wonder why their phone games feel so similar to our stuff?

4. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think each developer who develops games for Kemco use their own engine (or Unity, Corona, MonoGame, etc.). MV was released years after some of their games. Although being 2D can lead to some people mistaking them as RM powered.

5. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not really - not only is there no trace of RTP, quite a few of their titles have 2D maps, but full 3D battles. XP/VXAce doesn't do 3D, not unless you're running some heavily custom stuff and then it's nothing like RPGMaker. The font and menus don't look anything close either.

If you mean they look like SNES-era RPGs then sure, RPGMaker is used to make games that look like SNES RPGs. Or PSP-era RPGs for the later makers (and Kemco's phone RPGs look more PSP-era to me). Because that's kind of the point of it. But then that would be like saying "wow, some animals look so much like Pokemon" (they do, but it was kinda because the animals came first).

6. Dankovsky

Dankovsky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've played one of their titles released on Steam. It was frankly pretty bad, at the quality level of average RPGMAKER game, but with 3d battles

ShinGamix likes this.
  7. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you look here
    https://www.kemco-games.com/global/games.html

In the Google Play section they do actually have a ton of 2D RPG games, some of which do have 2D battles as well. On those games, I agree with captainette777 they look like rpg maker style games, but I still very much doubt they are using rpg maker.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kemco uses "japanese style" for their games, but there are a dozen engines in japan that use that style for their products - RPG-Maker is only one of them, but it is the one that got distributed internationally.
    The kemco-games are not done by RMs, and they aren't using any of the RTP resources at all.

That said, I own one of those games on android and while it was decently done it also showed that their games are done by a similiar generator to RMs and that they don't bother much with custom resources - the game I have is basically SF-based (although the story hides that for a while until you learn that you're inside an abandone terraforming dome on Mars). but the enemies use the engine default graphics like vampires and skeletons with only a renaming pretending that it is something else...

9. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    They are a publisher. Most of the RPGs, especially the ones that get ported to consoles, are from Exe Create.

I personally find their games pretty bland and boring, as if it was created using equations of what a 90s Rpg should be. They throw out a game nearly every month, and I barely find passion in them. If it was just one mediocre title, that would be fine, but they have no desire to improve their craft, which is a shame because I know they have talented people working for them.

For example, Reverant Saga is one of their more recent titles, after a decade of making RPGs you think they would understand what to do and what not to do, but it's an unpolished and unbalanced mess. I shouldn't be able to get through encounters, let alone bosses, by turning on Autobattling in hard mode. Any ounce of strategy that's beyond "spam your strong attacks" makes the game fall apart.

Again, that's Exe Create, which is a large portion of what people identify Kemco as.

10. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not all of them, though. Machine Knight was made by a company named HitPoint.

11. captainette777

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think most of those games are actually ports of old games they made, hence the 90's tinge.

12. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What's wrong with 90's RPGs?? Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to the Past, and many many more epic RPGs came out in the 90's.

hp4000 likes this.
  13. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    They aren't though. Unless you're misusing the word 'port'.
    They're games specifically engineered to feel like 90s RPGs, but the games are not from the 90s.

Kemco barely touched the RPG genre in the 90s, so they can't actually be ports.

14. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    KEMCO? It's a delicious dessert in my country = )