Who thought the first two Paper Mario games were really fun games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by atoms, Dec 17, 2018.

?

Did you like the first two Paper Mario games, if you played them?

1. I liked Paper Mario 1 and Thousand Year Door 2

85.7%
  2. I liked Paper Mario 1 only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I liked Paper Mario Thousand Year Door 2 only.

14.3%
  1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I remember playing them a long time ago now and they are still part of my child memorises.

I use to really enjoy the first one and the second one.

I played the third one too, I enjoyed it but felt the first two were the best. I never played the others but heard they didn't seem as good. Maybe in future they'll make another good one, even better than the first two. Who knows.

What about all of you who have knowledge on this? What do you all think?

Canini likes this.
  2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think the first one is better than the second one, and clearly better than super paper mario (which wasn't good). I played the first one at least 3 times. The second one was really good too, but it didn't quite get the same warm/fun atmosphere like in the first one.

atoms likes this.
  3. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I really like Thousand Year Door and still find it ever so lsightly superior to the first one thanks to the story and scope but coming back to it there is a way to large emphasis on backtracking and fetch-quests, expecially with the sidequests and the trouble center. Outright padding like the "Say you love me x 100 times" joke also need to be skippable on replays.

atoms likes this.
  4. Gallimed

Gallimed Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They were both fun. Super Paper Mario had a good story despite having a different gameplay. After that i couldn't bother with the Sticker star formula

atoms likes this.
  5. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had issues with both games.

I started both games... got roughly 60% of the way through them... and quit playing. After a while, the games just get... repetitive. What I did enjoy from both games were the "collection" aspects. I liked finding all the badges. I liked finding all the star piece things... I liked doing the recipes.

I didn't really enjoy much of the combat. While it was basic with a lot of depth... it was very repetitive as it was easy to find a strategy that worked on every single enemy and you rarely had to "change things up".

But, the games were pretty amazingly fun for that first 60%.

I kind of preferred the formula of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars much better. Each new area was something new to do and see. More mini-games opened up. More characters. Interesting new things to see and do. I'd found myself returning to lots of the mini-games and locations in that game as I was given "new quests" to go back to them and explore different things.

The Paper Mario games kind of lacked this "continual content" aspect of their games. They start amazingly though. :D

atoms likes this.
  6. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tai_MT
    I'd love to see another Super Mario RPG by Square. I get what you are saying and can see that there, but for me I always views them as separate games in a way that I could enjoy both formulas. For me when it got a bit repetitive, I was able to overlook that somehow as a child, maybe because I changed the badges around often, and was focused on watching everything unfold, but I can see that being possible since the battle system remains very simplistic.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  7. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both are classics, imo. Still are to this day. Super Paper Mario is decent, if only for the story. Everything after that is meh.

atoms likes this.
  8. Patt-Ytto

Patt-Ytto I make pixel art and music for games. Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thousand Year Door is one of my definite favorites because the story had a bit more of a mistery flair to it, where you couldn't figure out where you would be taken next unlike some other paper mario titles where it's always the same routine of ordered thematic worlds (the ice world, the fire world, the candy world, etc).

But yeah, I'm old and no mario rpg since then has been able to capture the feeling of Super Mario RPG's gameplay. It's not that it's my favorite because playing it now it looks super dated (though it sounds just ♥) but yeah, nostalgia goggles too tight.

atoms likes this.