Who would be interested in a better dungeon generator for RPG-Maker? (third-party)

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Venima, Apr 20, 2019.

?

Would you like to see this turned into a configurable dungeon generator?

1. No. Don't waste your time on this.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Yeah, that would be cool.

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. Yes! So much yes! I need this!

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Venima

Venima Treasure experiences and sensations, not progress. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've had a few days free and I've been adding a bunch of new features and trying to overcome the roadblocks I've mentioned before. The scrollbar isn't so much an issue now, I know how to solve that. The main issue I've run into now is what happens when you close the program and reopen it, maybe tilesets have changed since then or even if they haven't...

Whenever you link a brush to a button in rpg maker, I'm doing a screen capture on the mouse coordinate to generate an icon. But these brushes all exist in different tilesets. When I reload the program, I can't just regenerate the icons because only one tileset is in view at a time. If I don't regenerate them, how do you know if the coordinates are correctly matched? It's a bit of a catch 22, and the only solution I've thought of is to automatically click all of the tilesets sometime after launch to refresh all the icons. Not particularly user-friendly that though... I guess the challenge here is making the user experience of this process something that isn't freaky or confusing.

I'm sure I'll figure something out, I just wasn't expecting this to be my next major hurdle...

Still, it's making good progress:

RMDG 19-08-23.png

Not only are rooms given decorations, but also paths to rooms and walls too. Multi-tile objects are a thing now (see the trees and wall decorations. Decorations can also come from any tileset. Also added a new path style called 'map'. It's like a web that branches from the centre, and all the edges are then connected in a ring. Felt this style might make a good city/village path generator or something.

Oh and all your configurations and settings will be saveable as templates and reloaded later. Means you can try a configuration, save it, experiment with something else and come back to it later.

gambitben likes this.
  2. Ilithianeae

Ilithianeae dont use my moo-cow face, please! ^-^ Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is an interesting tool what you are programming, venima! i will try it out by making a nice ice-forest. ^^

Venima likes this.
  3. Venima

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Give me a PM if you get stuck. There is a lot of setup required ^_^'

4. Ilithianeae

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello vinima,

i know that i do something wrong but i dont know what it is because i dont know your program well yet. can you help me please.

i attached the error i got and the configuration i did. Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-08-25 09-58-55.png Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-08-25 09-59-10.png

im sure you can tell me promptly, right? ^,^

5. Venima

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you move the mouse even slightly while the program is painting, it will abort. If it's not that, send me a PM and I'll see if I can debug it with you. I don't see anything wrong with the configuration itself.

Also sorry for the wait, for some reason I didn't have this thread on watch.

6. Ilithianeae

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello venima,

again i tried it out on a testmap but got the error. could it be that your program doesnt like openjdk 11?

7. Venima

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just for reference, after some back and forth DMs, Ilithianeae was able to get the program working by 'running as administrator'. I didn't expect that to fix the painting process not working, but I guess it makes sense.