whtdragon's animals and running horses- now with more dragons!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by whtdragon, Dec 23, 2015.

1. whtdragon

whtdragon Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Part 2 updated o w o7~ FINALLY fixed the spoilers and reorganized most of the sprites! Everyone that had problems with sprites not working should not have this problem anymore (appart from the special 4 frame running animations from the horses/unicorns, but you need to edit those anyways depending on what plugin you decided to use)

There's a couple of notable things! First there's new bear cubs, but when I made the cubs, I noticed they would be great for pandas too, so I played around with the size making them a bit bigger, and ended up with larger cubs as well as some pandas. The next thing I want to point out is even though I said I wouldn't a couple of pages ago, I went ahead and made a full sheet of hippo sprites. The reason I didn't do that originally was pretty much I don't like making MASSIVE sprites nor massive sprite sheets. It's why I will never make a full sheet of the shark or dragons. (and also why I will likely never make an HD full screen animated sprite ever--once sprites get so big, they become pretty impractical) but after looking at it, I went ahead and made a full sheet with new recolors. I also made a couple of other sprites at the request of @Tanarex which led to both crocodiles and alligator sprites. Spoilers below for quick access to all mentioned sprites o 3 o/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy everyone /o 3 o/ while I continue to maybe fixing things up so they're nicer~

@cyberwaffle

I am currently not interested in making any sort of video or stream /)o 3 o;; so no. Text based tutorials maybe though, but it'll still take some time to organize something out. Good ol' ridiculous amounts of practice is still the number one way to go about spriting ( o 3 o)-b  But there are already lots of tutorials out there from frankenspriting to good ol' fashioned spriting with lots of it geared towards RPG maker. You can even search for "pixel art tutorials" in the forums here and find lots of resources apparently!

Back when I first started spriting it was waaay back in the early days of RPG maker 2000, and I was largely doing frankensprites until I got a good handle on how to make my own stuff. A good chunk of the alternative SV battler animations I made are very clever frankensprite edits too. One place I know you can look to for inspiration or help is from pixeljoint (lotta folks there that are WAY better then me!) but there's lots of other pixel art based communities in reddit, deviant art, and steam.
    hope that helps at least~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  2. cyberwaffle

cyberwaffle cyberwaffle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok thank you for the detailed and quick response whtdragon. I'll be sure to check out the links you mentioned because I want to learn!

But thank you for the sprites, until I get good enough to make my own!  :D

3. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

well I can't always promise I'll always be available for help or anything /o 3 o; but if you ever need any more help or suggestions feel free to PM me or something. Also you're totally free to experiment with any of my sprites on the forums u w u/ best way I've learned is through dismantling what others have already done and see how they're done

4. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm running a nice little test map to test whether the animals are walking okay. Looks like most are, but I noticed that some either are redundant or still need to be edited or both. Luckily, it looks like most are okay!

Seems like the old versions of the sprites were kept in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  5. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

oh I wouldn't doubt there's a few issues here and there /)- w -;; to be fair, I didn't test most of them in the program, but I did check most of the animations while I was working on them. I figure most of the issues are really minor and aren't too big a deal though.

6. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *nods* Just ran a test and they all are working. I've deleted the "need to be edited" and redundant ones from my project. All except one of the "need to be edited" animals (the extra pet animations of the cat and dog lying down) were the exact same ones as the new files, just reworked and stuff, anyway. :)

7. Hacker

Hacker Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much. I will be utilizing a ton of these! 

8. Strange_Dragon_99

Strange_Dragon_99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I really like the Kappas. They make me nostalgic for Final Fantasy VI, which is one of my favorite titles of all time. 

As always, great work.

9. meiows

meiows bunvinni Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    aaaa ! I love the pomeranian! Do you think you could make a shiba inu?

10. Wookiee420

Wookiee420 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    these are amazing, you are a master at your craft

11. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @whtdragon, I hate to ask, because you've already done so much for this community and these pieces are amazing!

But...would there be any chance of a damage sprite for these werewolves, and perhaps some back fur to make them more akin to the default werewolf battler? If not, not worries. They are definitely awesome as they are. I just have a scene that requires several werewolf bodies, and my artistic skill is just nowhere near yours.  I also wouldn't want to butcher your work. :D

I also wouldn't mind commissioning a werewolf sprite specifically for this battler, if it would be better for you?

wolfee_whtdragon.png

Werewolf.png

12. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

it's funny I have been playing around with the werewolf model, looking at doing some alternative shapes and styles, but I had never considered really making it -for- the battler in MV itself. (largely because I thought the sprite was a bit too large compared to it in relation to the size of the minotaur or ogre/orc) but I can see what I can do!
    (oh geez does this mean I'll have to make new minotaurs and orc sprites too? . _ . )

Mesajia and Gabrelik like this.
  13. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are a particular brand of awesome. :)

14. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    something like this?
    [​IMG]

15. Epic EP

Epic EP Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are great!

Many of them are really useful in my project. :D

It seems you have a knack of making and editing nice sprites. Some thing I unfortunately lack. :/

So if you are up for it and have time I would really appreciate more animated boss and Daemon sprites, or sv-battle sprites for animals. ;)

Thanks a lot for these resources! 

16. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very cool! :)  Those look great and I will definitely add them to the project. I should have a demo of the first chapter out soon as well, so you can see your amazing work in action. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  17. Maidlyn

Maidlyn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love these sprites and am planning to use them for a Zoo tycoon-style game. Thank you  whtdragon, you are a really talented sprite artist! Also, a lot of the resources that people are putting out in this thread are really good work! Keep up the awesomeness, guys!

18. slaQ

slaQ Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch, English
    Such a huge collection of animals! All in one package! Amazing work! :D  

19. LazESigma

LazESigma Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was just looking for more dragons to add to my new MV project!

I was surprised to find no smaller dragon sprites in varying colors included with the game!!!

Thanks for creating these!!

20. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Hi, whtdragon!

Do you know if there will be a damage sprite for these? If not, would you mind if I made one? Pending your approval, of course.