whtdragon's tilesets addons, fixes and more!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by whtdragon, Apr 16, 2016.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Much as I hate to say it, resource makers do assume you know what the various tilesets are and how to use them. If you don't, then you need to learn that before you just grab tiles off the internet and assume they don't work.

2. Eurobuzz

Eurobuzz Villager Member

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kes
    @bgillisp
    Okay, I figured it out. The problem here is that the artist did some shenanigans and made the images 71.12 pixels per inch instead of 72. Not sure if that will affect anything in engine but I'll test it out.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Eurobuzz No pixel error that I can see.
    I took the 2 you specifically mentioned (the first 2 in the caves set), dropped them into an MV A4 tile sheet, where they fitted perfectly.

They tiled seamlessly when I used them. Here is what they look like in the editor - had to use the snipping tool, so slightly blurred, but not enough to distort.

upload_2018-9-24_17-5-38.png

4. Eurobuzz

Eurobuzz Villager Member

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry I edited my post once I found the problem. The tiles are compatible with RPGM, they just aren't compatible with any other tiles on the same sheet. Putting them on a sheet that's 72ppi will cause them to not be 48x48. That's why I had pixel errors.

But actually many of the tiles (at least the vol/caves ones) don't quite connect properly, but I think that's just how the artist made them and not because of some scaling issue caused by the ppi.
    hhbvcxia.png

So rather, unless it was a mistake caused when uploading the images and the author has the tiles in 72ppi, I think the he should at least change his description and say that the specific tiles aren't compatible with other tiles and can only be used on sheets that are 71.12ppi since that would save a lot of time for anyone that tries to put them on a sheet with a normal ppi like me.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Where are you getting 72 from? There is nothing about autotiles for MV that should be 72. Autotiles for MV still work on a 48 grid and when I open these up in Gimp, they fit that. A full autotile will be 240 pixels tall by 96 across and I see no problems in Gimp with these tiles fitting it.

I'm not sure how you put them into a tileset, which sheet you put them into or what program you used, but it seems you made an error.

autotile.png

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why on earth are you talking about printing terminology? You're not printing anything, so the dpi doesn't really matter. What crazy program are you using where this is causing problems? There are others tiles on here that are 300 dpi, that doesn't matter either. Just use a decent art program and you can cut and paste them together just fine without any problems. The visual difference is so minuscule as to not matter. It won't cause the things with the tiles that you're pointing out. Those aren't an issue, they're implied lines, not graphical errors. Implied lines are good to try to avoid but impossible not have at some point in a tile, because human minds like finding patterns.

@mlogan They're talking about the image resolution for printing, which they're saying is slightly less than 72dpi, the standard for on screen stuff. This is true, because it was set up in metric for some reason. *shrugs* It's not a big deal, the human eye isn't going to really notice a difference.

7. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    PPI/DPI only matters in printing. Literally. I grew up with someone in the printing business. I've had some training because I've had to deal with high-quality printing.Your screen does not give a wet fart about PPI/DPI. It just displays pixels, unless told to do a print preview. Then there's a whole host of other considerations, but none of that should be an issue, here.

There should be a grid of 48 pixels by 48 pixels. If it is not, something may have gone wrong during download or you downloaded a scaled-down-view version.

8. Eurobuzz

Eurobuzz Villager Member

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sigh, okay, open any other normal tileset image, like the default RPGM ones which are 72ppi. Then import one of the tilesets here that are 71.12ppi to the Photoshop document or whatever you opened the 1st image with. You can't have 2 images that are different ppi in the same document so the 2nd image will need to be scaled down by ~2% to match 72ppi and if it isn't then it will be bigger than the first image and tiles won't be 48x48

9. whtdragon

whtdragon Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    alright let's clear the air a bit here straight from the source;
    @Eurobuzz
    [​IMG]

Here's a recreation of your screenshot using only the default MV tilesets. It has all the same issues you pointed out from the tiles I made. (in fact you are using the default ground tile from MV itself) The volcano tiles for the most part are almost all recolors with a few exceptions to try and blend some tiles together.
    My original intention was to make more natural varieties of walls with different color types that would still match the original MV tilesets themselves. I made no attempts to fix any of the issues the original tilesets had aside from maybe the water/lava flow and I do agree those probably need to be reworked sometime- they gave me a lot of trouble.

There should be absolutely no differences between them and the originals though other then the colors. My guess is that the recolors highlighted the issues that was already in the tiles.
    The only other thing I can think of is that somehow, you have some kind of setting on photoshop enabled that's causing some kind of artifacting or... Are you taking screenshots from RPG maker directly and putting them in photoshop and having to resize them down?

10. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Again, what program are you using? This isn't normal behavior. I just put the 71.12 ppi image into a 300 ppi image and no scaling happened and it matches the other graphics in that image perfectly.

11. Eurobuzz

Eurobuzz Villager Member

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @whtdragon
    My problem wasn't with how the tiles connect poorly, if you didn't draw/connect them then you didn't do anything wrong that's just how the artist made them. The tiles weren't properly colored/connected in the first place, this probably shows it better.
    stuff.png

The problem I had is that some of your tiles were saved as 71ppi instead of 72, and when opening them in Photoshop the tiles need to be resized when you are working with other tilesets that are 72ppi.

@Sharm
    Photoshop

12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just don’t understand why you are fixated on ppi. I’ve never once even looked at it in all my time working with tiles and other resources. Can you explain more clearly why it matters?

13. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The problem is your settings in Photoshop. Here's a solution I found:

[​IMG]

Or:
    Or:
    You could also give GIMP a try. It's free and it doesn't resize.

Eurobuzz likes this.
  14. Lee-hyung

Lee-hyung Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    @whtdragon
    I have your tilset as my game title
    Can I use it?

15. whtdragon

whtdragon Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    yes.

16. EcchiSamurai

EcchiSamurai Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Can I get your permission to modify some of these for RPG Maker VX Ace? That is the current program I have and I can't find enough horror-based tilesets for the game I'm currently making. Would love to use these in my game!

Other than that, if you can direct me to where I can find tilesets for horror styled rpg games that I CAN use, that would also be very helpful!

17. TobiObito4ever

TobiObito4ever Self-Proclaimed Mythology Nerd Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Com-Sho, Bougainvillea and Freem has a few good ones. You need to make an account for Freem, but the ones labeled "Free License" are *really* nice (and... well... free).

Flaming Teddy Productions also has a tileset inspired by Corpse Party, too~

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  18. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Please don't hijack this thread with this kind of query. It does not belong here, but in Resource Requests.

And as the terms of this thread state you can use them in VXAce as long as you own MV.

19. EcchiSamurai

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't know that was considered "hijacking" towards a thread, but alright. I'll post a request in the proper thread next time. And no, unfortunately I do not own MV, and is why I was asking if I could modify these for VX Ace. Thank you for your help, though little, I still appreciate it.

20. EcchiSamurai

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you! I'll definitely check these out in the morning! :)