Whtdragon's trees recolors

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@whtdragon

I like your new big trees but the underside of the foliage looks a bit funkey with that super sharp one colored shadow. Maybe add some texture?

Also to use spoilers write: [ spoiler ] your text [ /spoiler ]... Except without the spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
yeeaah I kind of didn't realize how weird it was 'til after I uploaded them and got to looking again but I got it fixed /o w o/

...and then I made more trees o - o; I'm sorry this keeps happening, everyone. I swear I can do more then just tree edits, really! One day I'll show other things off o A o;

Zortik

The Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm really happy that you're making all of these tree edits. Particularly the different sized ones.

Do as your muse demands :) We're grateful.

Dazansus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
These look awesome! I'm big into the SNES style as well, something about it is just so timeless.

Good job mate.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@whtdragon

Don't worry. Trees are often one of the most important tiles when making outside maps. Good trees makes everything look better. Keep doing trees ;)

The medium sized trees are new right? Maybe you should keep an update log in the original post? Anyway, I like them better than the really big ones. They seem to be just the right size and the sharp shadow (which is present on the original tiles as well) does not look as funky as it does when you super-size the trees. Good balance overall!

Can I ask what re-size technique and software you use?

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
@whtdragon

Don't worry. Trees are often one of the most important tiles when making outside maps. Good trees makes everything look better. Keep doing trees ;)

The medium sized trees are new right? Maybe you should keep an update log in the original post? Anyway, I like them better than the really big ones. They seem to be just the right size and the sharp shadow (which is present on the original tiles as well) does not look as funky as it does when you super-size the trees. Good balance overall!

Can I ask what re-size technique and software you use?
yeah the mediums are new o3o I sort of have a rather crappy update log closer to the bottom of the post.

As for the re-size techniques and software, weeeell--- I actually use a very old version of Paintshop Pro, 7.04 to be exact. I like how it handles pixels and sprites a bit better then photoshop or other newer/more common programs I've tried. I've used it for YEARS when dealing with sprites as far back as the RM2k days, (which I might still have some old sprites kicking around from back then) but paintshop has a unique resize setting called pixel resize. It will resize images without causing any kind of anti-alias. The pixels themselves will look larger, but it also keeps the sprite outline cleaner and generally easier to clean up when going back over it.

I basically resize the tree and then manually copy/pasted portions of the original tree sprite's leaves taking care to make sure there isn't too many repeating portions and trying to stick close to the general shape of the new sized tree. I would then clean up the edges and fix anything that stands out as looking odd or too blocky.

I am having more mixed results with the dead/leafless tree though, so it's definitely not perfect, but for most of my purposes it works out pretty well~

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@whtdragon

I see, interesting. I thought that you would be using Photoshop, and at the same, time I was kind of hoping that you were using GIMIP (with some secret super-technice that I could learn). Oh well. :( I never heard of anyone using paintshop PRO before... :guffaw: But, the results speak for themselfs!

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm sure there's probably a way you can do the same thing with photoshop, there's a "pixel aspect ratio" that can kind of do a similar function in resizing, but I don't know much about it and I can't seem to get it to resize the image so much as simply stretch it out.

--I checked out Gimp a little bit and turns out you can do something similar in it though. Select the sprite you want to resize and copy it. Paste it as a new image and then go to "scale image" there's a drop down under the quality for Interpolation and if you select "none" it -should- retain the pixel quality. Setting the Interpolation to other things not to the default cubic might yield other results that you might like better, but I think I'll stick with paintshop pro u w o I already know where everything is~

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@whtdragon

I don't have access to PS anymore and since it's a subscription software nowadays I'm stickning to GIMP. But it's all new to me and it's always a pain to learn a new program (and that's why I ask everyone about how they do things all the time, to learn some trix~).

Anyway, thanks! Going to try to resize a few objects later today.

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have an older version of photoshop (came free with my tablet) that I don't have to worry about too much. Anything below CS4 or 5 I believe won't require subscriptions. I am used to looking at other programs like Gimp, or Krita and figuring out similar methods that can be used in other programs because I've been asked on more then one occasion how to do something in them. I try to keep it general when describing methods, but when someone asks for something specific I'll try to take the extra time to look it up when I can~  /o w o/

Cvrtis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
yeeaah I kind of didn't realize how weird it was 'til after I uploaded them and got to looking again but I got it fixed /o w o/

...and then I made more trees o - o; I'm sorry this keeps happening, everyone. I swear I can do more then just tree edits, really! One day I'll show other things off o A o;
Ha-ha, never mind! If scripts and plugins are constantly updating, why the same inpossible for pictures?  You are not a robot.

There's even nothing to apologize for.

The picture in editor and the picture as a result - is  a different pictures  :D

(To be honest, I can not understand your problems like "pixel aspect ratio". I had not similar problems, I do not even know what it is.)

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
(To be honest, I can not understand your problems like "pixel aspect ratio". I had not similar problems, I do not even know what it is.)
basically o3o/ most programs I find when you resize them leaves behind some fuzzy/blurryness.

the middle tree was resized using a default settings method that most programs do (exaggerated a bit to make it a bit more clear). "Pixel Resize" is the setting I keep it at in my program because even though the pixels look distorted and weird, the edges are much cleaner and easier to work with /o w o/~ I can fix the inside parts just fine, it's the edges I have problems with.  I never could figure out if photoshop had settings that would allow for a similar "pixel resize" that was as easy to work with. "Pixel aspect ratio" was a function I found in photoshop that was similar, but it distorted the image too much to be useful to me.

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
new small saplings /o 3 o/  main post has been updated along with some new "growable" tree sprites~

I'm excited to see how everyone will use them~ Also if anyone has any issues lemme know

SkySurfer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Those trees with smaller sprouts will be so USEFUL if somebody would make a plugin where trees grow from a sprout to a big tree then vice versa!! ~ Just like the game "Don't Starve!"

Those trees recolor! Those Blue leaves!!! Its soo GOOD!! Thanks I'll be using them and name it "The Mana Tree!" ~ just like the tree in "Legend of Mana"!!!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahh, I'll have to find out how to fix the sizing issue..would love to use them in my game! So beautiful ; A ; 

whtdragon

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
ohsnap new tree types!
I drew some trees last night to test out a few methods of drawing/resizing. Unfortunately they are a little mmm rough around the edges. I'm not sure if I'll continue doing that. I guess we'll see maybe. They also currently do not have shadows under them, this is more of a test/feedback right now.
I have not tested them in the program personally, so any comments, questions or suggestions would be appreciative. I imagine a few of them though might be pretty nice for special areas or cut scenes.

Veralisa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
These are seriously great! Love the recolors. I have no idea how I even managed to get so far in my game using the same trees over and over. Not anymore~!

Any plans on doing trees for a different terrain? Say beach / desert trees or something, I was making a beach earlier and got pretty bored of the same coconut tree everywhere.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@whtdragon I love love love the mushrooms!! Is there any way you could re-shape them to fit into a tileset format?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ytviews123