Why are my character evets facing up?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by TheTalkingGiraffe, Dec 31, 2016.

1. TheTalkingGiraffe

TheTalkingGiraffe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm making a school scene in my RPG and I'm working on placing students around the school. The problem is: all of the character events I set to be facing down, face up during playtests. The characters I'm using are made in the Character Generator so there shouldn't be any problems. I am new to this program so maybe this is a noob question but I'd appreciate your help. Thx!  

Screenshot (19)_LI.jpg

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I've moved this thread to RPG Maker VX Ace . Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you please show a screenshot of your event?  Also double-click on the character sprite and grab a screenshot of what comes up.  It should confirm that the spritesheet is formatted correctly.  Just do a Alt+PrintScreen to grab the screenshots, then load them up to something like photobucket and post a link here.

If you made your characters in the generator, they should be correct.  

Have you started a new game or continued a saved game?  If you leave this map and then return, are they still facing up?  (That requires you to have a second map and transfer events between them - if you're very early into development you may need to create another map just to test this)

I would also be interested in knowing if you've added any extra scripts or made any changes to the default scripts, and if you have any autorun or parallel process events, either on this map, or in common events.  All of those things could have something that's causing this to happen.

ARE you using Ace?  I don't see anything in your profile, in your post or in the title or tags that indicate what version of the engine you're running.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
    TheTalkingGiraffe likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please check your tileset first - if you accidentally set the tile you're using for a floot to be a ladder, then the engine will automatically have the player and all events facing up.

After all, you always look up if you're climbing a ladder...

(the ladder is one of the extra settings in the tileset database)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
    Shaz likes this.
  5. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry for not responding. I got really busy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2017
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TheTalkingGiraffe Your post now has nothing in it except a quotes heading.  You will need to re-post whatever it was.

7. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz Sorry for not responding for a while. I got really busy but anyways, I'll try to answer as many questions as possible.

Yes, I have tried starting a new game, loading a saved game and I've left the map and re-entered but sadly they always seem to face up.

Yes, I have added a script called "Remember Event Position" (and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you made this script) for events I set a move route to so that the event will remember it's move route after leaving and re-entering the map, although I haven't edited or deleted any of the default scripts. I'll leave a screenshot of the script at the end of this post in case this isn't your script. I don't have any events on autorun or parallel process. The only events I have are either player touch, event touch or action button and I haven't added any common events.

Yes, I am using RPG Maker VX Ace.

Hopefully that gives you something to work off of. Thanks so much!

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (24).png

8. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Andar No, none of my tiles are set to ladders. I even tried moving my event off the wall but even when nothing is touching the event it still faces up.  

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheTalkingGiraffe, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

And please don't quote entire posts for simple answers, use the @username convention like I did to answer someone.

That said, if you don't have scripts then the ladder setting is the only one that can cause that behavior - especially if it happens to events that are in the middle of the floor.

But that comment ("moving my event off the wall") sounds as if you didn't understand what I was talking about - because the ladder setting has absolutely nothing to do with walls.

It is a setting on the floor tile that I'm talking about.

Please go to the database, tileset tab.

Go to the tileset you're using for this map and click on the third button on the right, the one name "ladder".

Now search for the tile you're using for the floor - does it have a small dot or a ladder symbol on it? click on it to see how the dot and how the ladder symbol look like.

If you are unsure, please post a screenshot of the tileset with the tile marked for us.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  10. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

My thougts exactly, I was ninjaed! :p

11. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Andar Thanks so much for your help. I did what you said and the floor tile I'm using isn't set to a ladder, however, you did mention "if you don't have scripts then the ladder setting is the only one that can cause that behavior" but I have added a script called "Remember Event Position" for events I set a move route to so that the event will remember it's move route after leaving and re-entering the map (you can find a photo of the script I used in my reply to Shaz) but I only applied the "Remember Event Position" script to one event only and the one event isn't any of the events that face up. I'm not to familiar with scripts yet so I'm not sure if this could be the cause of the problem or not. 

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had seen that, but that script isn't responsible for that effect - I should have worded it "no other scripts".

However, there is no random effect in the computer - everything the computer does is because it is commanded to do this somewhere, and you need to find that somewhere.

It might help you if you read my tutorial on bughunting (link in my signature).

Please show us the first page of the event, it might be something there. Or it could be an autorun/parallel process that you added and then forgot.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheTalkingGiraffe can you please post a screenshot of the first page of that event as well?  Which page is active in your very first screenshot?

When you take screenshots, please use Alt+PrintScreen.  This captures the entire active window (which means all the event information is there) but not the desktop background (which means the active window is not shrunk so much it's difficult to read the relevant info).

Yes, that's my script and that could cause events to be facing up IF you had made them face up and told them to remember their positions previously.  But not if this is the first time you've come to this map.  If you only applied it to one event, and it's neither of those, then the script is probably not causing this.  I would ask though, does this happen in a brand new game, or only when you load a saved game?  If you DID have events on the map and had remembered their position when they were facing up, and then changed those events or deleted them and added new events, the remembered position would still apply to the same event id, if you were playing from a saved game.  It likely isn't that, but I mentioned it as it's a remote possibility.

Re the ladder setting - if you had drawn with any of the B-E tiles on that spot, and they had the ladder flag turned on, and then for whatever reason you edited the tileset to make those tiles blank, the ladder setting would still apply.  So another thing to check is in your tileset, all the B-E tabs, looking for a blank tile that has the ladder flag.

If you still can't figure it out, you're welcome to zip up the project (don't compress it), load it up to dropbox and send me a link, and I'll take a look at it for you.   You'd have to do it soon though, as I'm back at full-time work next week and will likely not have time to help people debug their projects.

14. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Andar Yes, I will make sure to check out your bughunting tutorial and as for the first event page, It's quite simple. The reason the first event page doesn't have anything on it is because I don't want my character to be able to speak with anyone until a specific event is complete. The first page is there just so the event is visible even before the main event is complete.

Screenshot (25).png   

@Shaz I use a Surface Pro so it doesn't have a PrintScreen button. I take my screenshot by pressing Fn+Windows+Space. If you need any information that should be in the screenshot but isn't, ask me and I'll try my best to find it.

No, I haven't set any events to remember to face up. If that was the case, that would surely be the problem. They face up starting a new game AND when I load a saved game. 

I looked through all my tilesets, B-E and nothing showed up as a ladder. even the tiles that were supposed to be ladders weren't.

I really appreciate your help. If you don't mind taking a look at it after I look into the problem a bit more that would be awesome. I will be sure to send it to you before you go back to work if I can't fix it myself. I'm still in school and I'm going back tomorrow so I won't have much time during the week. Thanks!

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's try one more test to see once and for all if it's a Ladder flag that's causing it.

On the girl on the right who's facing up, on the first page (where you currently don't have any events), add the following commands:

Code:
    Conditional Branch: Script: $game_map.events[this.event_id].ladder?
      Show Text: Ladder is ON
    Else
      Show Text: Ladder is OFF
    End
    Let us know what result you get.

16. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz Alright, I will do that!

17. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz I did what you said and these are my results. I tried this in a saved game and a new game. I double checked the event command but maybe I'm not doing it right. Screenshot (26).png Screenshot (27).png

18. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    haha - sorry.  Change this to self and it should work.

One day I might just have to choose Ace or MV 'cause trying to work with them both is just too hard!

19. TheTalkingGiraffe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz It said "Ladder is OFF". Since there are no ladder tilesets, could it be a bug in the program?

20. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very unlikely.  Could you show a screenshot of your tileset, with the ladder tile visible and the Ladder button selected?  I'd also like to see a screenshot of the map properties window.

One more thing, just to rule the script out ... could you change that event to the following:

Code:
    Conditional Branch: Script: $game_map.event_positions.has_key?([self.map_id, self.event_id])
      Show Text: Position is SAVED
    Else
      Show Text: Position is NOT SAVED
    End
    and let me know the result?  It should say Position is NOT SAVED.

If they don't reveal anything, we're back to you zipping up the project for me once you've spent enough time trying to resolve it on your own.