Why are Slimes weak to fire?

Demimura

Ruler of 9 Worlds!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Does anyone know? I've been looking around for this and actually need an explanation for why they are weak to fire, even tho I've seen them use water moves.

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I don't have a concrete answer, I think the idea is more that they're hard to take out with physical weapons, and that starting the game with a firebolt/fireball spell is pretty much the norm. That, or maybe the idea is that they heat up, and pop like a bubble.

With that said, there's no real right of wrong way to handle them. Personally, I have take little damage when hit with a physical attack, but weak to ice. You can even take it another step farther, and have people get their weapons stuck if they try to attack from up close, lowering their attack/speed.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just make them weak and strong to whatever you like.
I have slimes from different regions that are weak to various elements.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would guess they have a large water content in their physical make up.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this topic are supposed to be in general discussion...

"Fireball" is the most classic spell for starting mage ever since we are introduced to fantasy. Slime is well known as the weakest monster, so let's make them them the ultimate weakest by making em weak against player's starting arsenal.

by logic, I guess heat melts em into thin air.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The idea is that slimes are essentially "gelatin". Namely, water mixed with some kind of bone marrow product and turned sentient. As such... Jello (or Gelatin) burns pretty easily... and quickly.

Final fantasy has turned them into "Flan", which have different properties than Gelatin, but also burn VERY well.

That being said... My slimes are basically magical as it is, so elemental damage doesn't do much. Except blunt weaponry. Smashing slimes destroys their "cores", so they die. But, that's my game lore.

Feel free to do whatever you like with slime. Hope my explanation helped you out.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention. Some RPGs use "slime" to mean molds and fungus. Those burn easily to fire as well. Especially since some molds and some fungi are slimes in nature.

nomotog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always assumed slimes were oily so therefor flammable.

AdamSakuru

[Null_Value]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would guess they have a large water content in their physical make up.

This guy gal thinks he's she's the leading expert on Slimes because he's she's a Global Mod. That's rich.

...I'M the expert here. I'll send this to the boys at the lab and we'll get back to you.
17334435-two-little-boys-doing-biochemistry-research-at-the-lab-isolated-on-white.jpg

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There's no reason Slimes need to be weak to fire. You could make them weak to anything you want. I've seen games where they're weak to Ice or Lightning. Lightning in particular makes a lot of sense if you think of Slimes as water-based.

If you personally decided they're weak to fire in your game, and for some reason you need an explanation, you could say that whatever they're made of (maybe a gel-like substance) is extremely flammable and therefore even just a weak fire spell will engulf the whole thing in flame.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AdamSakuru This gal, not guy :p
The reason why slimes are weak to fire is not water though. This cannot be the reason. Humans are cca 80% water and have you ever tried to burn one? Unless you help it with gasoline, they aren't too flammable and as long as they are alive, even in high heat fires the water just doesn't evaporate fast enough to change it. They will have long died from dehydration before you can burn them.
Umm no, that is not practical experience :D It was just our science teacher when I asked her that if humans' skin is full of carbon, why won't it burn.

The reason why slimes are weak to fire is much more simple. They aren't full of water, but of high quality gasoline specially bought by this mad scientist who wanted to help travellers make fire more easily. Note that fantasy heroes don't know these things can be used to propel airships :D

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Demimura At the moment this does not read like a 'Games Mechanics Design' discussion, more like a 'General Discussion' topic. Do you have an actual Mechanics Design question?

EDIT
On further reflection, this is not a Mechanic.
[move]General Discussion[/move]

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Slimes are composed by chemical substance, that they could react very well with chemical reaction. That being said, fire is one of the chemical phenomenon. They're not necessarily burning though, but at least they could 'explode' when the heats trigger em.

You can put as many reason behind it though. In my game, there's poison slime where it reacts well with heat, thus weak to heat attack. But there're also a certain slime which already emits heat which makes them already resist to heat attack.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a lot of games miss out on the fun you could have with slimes, because they're too often pitched as weak "traditional" fare. Slimes are amorphous, so why not let them change attributes on the fly? I experimented with a mechanic in which slimes were elemental chameleons, like sea slugs that eat poison so they can use it self-defense. In this scenario, you meet a poison slime that's weak to fire--but when you hit it with a fire spell, it becomes a fire slime that's weak to water! So on and so forth. Introduced relatively early in the game, it's like a tutorial to help players figure out which elements are weak to which.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if you consider what makes a slime...a slime:
Slime is a unique play material composed of a cross-linked polymer. It is classified as a liquid and is typically made by combining polyvinyl alcohol solutions with borate ions in a large mixing container. It often has an unpleasant odor, a green color, and is cold and slimy to the touch.

Also slimes are usually created with Borax which can result to this:

And youtube never fails to deliver:

EDIT: Also just a bonus, the reaction of slime to dry ice is pretty awesome:

Last edited:

OM3GA-Z3RO

Wounded Seraphim
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Wait? Slimes are weak to fire? I always thought they were weak to ice since it would harden them.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say that it commonly emerges as a trope because of both imagery used to depict them, as well as their very name "slime".

When English speakers commonly use the word, "slime" outside of a videogame context, they are often describing something very wet in nature. Because of the inherent watery nature of the word, & the semi-liquid state most slimes are depicted as, most people automatically attach a dualistic counterpoint to them, due to the inherently combative nature of most RPGs.

The same can be said of creatures with words like "frozen", "ice", or "frost" in the name.

Simply put, it is an intuitive leap that the majority of people make automatically, & once they've encountered it, they tend to go along with the idea without question, because it doesn't tax their suspension of disbelief.

Personally, I tend to make my slimes highly resistant to physical weapons, while highly vulnerable to heat. As it doesn't make sense to me that bludgeoning damage (maces, clubs, warhammers) would be very effective against something without a skeletal system. Slashing damage (swords, sabers, katana, axes) likely wouldn't be very effective against something without tendons, limbs, arteries, etcetera. & piercing damage likely wouldn't be very effective unless it has something akin to a heart or brain, perhaps something like a central nerve bundle.

However, the inherent fluid nature of a slime type character suggests to my mind, something that would be vulnerable to heat, because it already exists in a near liquid state at essentially "room temperature". Ergo, it's point of dispersion into a gas state must be considerably lower, than other forms of matter residing in a solid state at the same temperature.

Simply put, it's not something that would be likely to "stand the heat" as it were.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to think of it as boiling the slime alive.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not all slimes are weak to fire.
For example the slimes in FFX have elements so the red slime is healing if you burn him.
Also I dont know normal slimes in any other games which are weak to fire.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Slime is a unique play material composed of a cross-linked polymer.
I believe they're referring to *jellyfish*, not *slimes*..... if you know what I mean.

"slimes" from games, are actually *jellyfish* by chemical composition.
that's why they're afraid of fire: they're living beings, grown around water, which the fire boils out.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Voice.gif
The Voice... They usually show up to talk to you about leaving your mark on the world, which is one of the major themes of my game... How will you be remembered by society.
The only time my brother shows me any kind of support is by liking or LOL my Facebook Comments.
I finally finished the Coliseum for my game. Love how it looks. Credits for the assets goes to Kokoro Reflections, @Starbird_Resources, and @megumi014.
Colossuem.png
Mimics! Mimics everywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bongdaso