Why are so many people getting banned off RMN recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrimsonKatt

Pyromancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As you may know, around September to October-ish of 2019 a lot of people got banned from RMN, a RPG Maker site similar to this one that allows people to post their games which you can download and post reviews for other people's games. Previously, it was very rare that people ever got banned from RMN. Also of note is that the people I talked to said they got banned without a warning, and it was just one incident which got them banned permanently with no previous instances of ban-able offensives. For anyone not banned from RMN yet, can you please investigate what's going on there, because even when I try to sign in at another house (I think I was IP banned) I still can't. Can someone figure this out for me? Thanks.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you should see if there are any members here who are mods/admins over there and send them a PM?

KrimsonKatt

Pyromancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK maybe, but I'm not really sure who to ask. I doubt that Unity or Liberty are on this forum. Heck, I don't even know which admin banned me!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Lounge. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

A new a mod or a new staff member perhaps? Or maybe a glitch in their system?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've seen this come up a lot on status updates it feels like. Sadly I nor most mods here have anything to do with RMN and how they run things, but hopefully someone can give you answers.

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen this come up a lot on status updates it feels like. Sadly I nor most mods here have anything to do with RMN and how they run things, but hopefully someone can give you answers.
You probably know this but I believe that Nessy keeps in semi-regular touch with the Real Men Network. Although her hands are probably full being in charge of this whole-ass freakin' website. She's also the first of a trifecta of devs there that I consider to be a personal heroine/role model.

I was active on RMN during the period OP mentions and did not notice the surge in ban-hammering mentioned by OP. Almost everyone I saw get banned from there was a spambot, an *******, or both.

(Click the spoiler for my final statement, I hope, on my own banning.)
I was IP banned early this month, w/o a warning, by Liberty, for a reason that no one else will ever be banned for and which no one else ever needs to worry about. I was--understandably, given certain circumstance--mistaken for an old member, asked to do something I was uncomfortable with to prove I wasn't that person, was coming around to doing it anyway despite my misgivings, and then wham bam IP ban.

Using one nick or another I've haunted/lurked RMN since around 2008 or so (which is the main reason I find their thinking that I am Developer X understandable; there are two or three handles on there that I'd have to cop to it if they said "hey, you're BLANK, aren't you!" I'd have to be...yup, ya got me, but the user I was banned on suspicion of being is obviously not one of those people that were, over the years, actually me). There are a lot of people I like there whose opinions I respect. I'd almost use the f word (friend, not the one that the profanity filter will turn to 'fudge') to describe some of them. The website is...I don't want to use the word "dying" but the forums/community scene is not very active and considering how focused I am presently on trying to make a living off of this whole indie game dev thing, if I had to be banned from there or here, it's much less harmful to be banned from there.

The gamepages and the games on there are by and large amazing. I'm very sad that I'm banned from a place that's been important to me on and off over the last decade and change, and I'm extra sad that I'm not even banned for anything I did, just based on their suspicions of who I am (obviously it's someone I know well to begin with, but I did some digging and I don't think they had even done anything banworthy, at least not recently), but I'm not angry.

Oh, a final note, I was not (even accused of) sockpuppeting/shilling. When I mention the accounts that actually were me and the account they think I'm a sock puppet OF, I never interacted with any of my other accounts to spam/promote/shill. This isn't like I was suspected of writing fake reviews or leaving bogus comments on my own games. I was banned purely because they thought I was Developer X, which to them was enough. Likewise, my account never really interacted with his account.

Liberty is a cool chick. I like her and I respect her. I think she has a bit of an anger management problem and a tendency to rage out and fly off the handle and act unilaterally. Like, the manner in which I was banned suggested to me it was Liberty's decision, and hers alone, not a decision made by the greater moderation staff, which she has the right to do. Kentona gives her a great deal of latitude--and responsibility--because in general she's a super competent person. I got the strong feeling that she read one sentence of my PM response and just immediately banned me on the spur of the moment. She has a tendency to act rashly. But overall, like I said, I both like and respect her.

Unity is my gamedev hero and I think she's magical...as I think/hope Unity knows no matter who or what they think I am, like I could secretly be some kind of demonic carnivorous space vegetable and still hold her in the highest esteem...I have no idea how active she is in moderating RMN, I have a feeling she's more active in moderating the Discord than the forums but that is a total guess.

Kentona (Kenton Anderson) is the guy ultimately in charge of RMN (Liberty is more in charge of day to day operations). Kentona is another good guy that I've "known" going back forever and bear no particular ill will over my banning. I'd suggest reaching out to him directly if you are actually concerned about a rash of semi-arbitrary bans on RMN.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good catch. I fixed it to avoid confusion. We're two separate sites ran by two different teams.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Actually, the fact that people have been using alt accounts to get around their previous bans is the issue. Something, you'd know about, Crow.

You want to actually bring this up like this, I'm happy to make this public. After all, the lack of doing so seems to be working in a way to create an issue. See, we have always operated with the idea that not spreading what people did to get them banned in the first place was the best way to go about things so that they are not shamed and feel horrible about themselves in the community. People can change and getting rid of all their fun, safe spots is a sad thing to do in the case of them learning and getting better. Just because you crap in one watering hole doesn't mean you will do so in another, after all.

But let's get back to you, Crow. We were approached by someone who pointed out a LOT of various information you have shared over the YEARS that you'd been on the site that matched up with someone else's. Someone who'd been banned but was now unbanned. That, in itself was an issue, and the mods all talked about it and came up with the solution of seeing if you would come forward if given the chance to do so. If so, you'd be give a second chance with the priviso that if you ****ed up, you were out forever. Because this person has done so much to make all the mods - wary and weary of them.

You failed to answer me the first time. The second prompt you went off about how you were probably getting confused with x person and that it was all a bit mistake over a tweet or some such. I had no idea about a tweet. What I did have was a bunch of other information that matched with that person who was banned when you made your 'Storm' account.

And then, in your own words, you said "If there was an IP match, then fair enough, ban me".

Hey, guess what? IP matches.

I decided to give one last chance to prove you were the person you claimed to be by asking for a photo with the date. One of the cinches would be that you claimed to be a woman. The person you were accused of being was not only a man but he had shared photos of himself with the site before. You chose not to provide that proof. That's fine. We decided we didn't want to chance it and we all shrugged our shoulders and banned.

The end.

Just because you don't see stuff happening on the surface doesn't mean **** ain't being checked and tested below.

Now, as to the maligning of my character. I don't get angry. Ask people who know me, I am the one who most often lets herself get stepped on by people and I don't ban easily. It took me over a year to ban someone who consistently bullied and badmouthed me and stalked me and drove me to a ****ing breakdown because they were doing it to me, not others. I had to have friends tell me multiple times that this had to stop, but I kept giving them chance after chance after chance. I am not an angry person.

And even if I was, this is not the way RMN works. It's a collaborative thing. The mods talk and then decide on whether or not to ban. A lot of the time people only see me in contact because i take it on myself to deal with the members more often. I'm the public face but that doesn't mean that what I say goes. I do not rule with an iron fist - I listen and talk with my mod team and we decide what to do together. If they have issues with an idea, they say so. If they have problems with something, they talk with me about it. It is the same now as it has been since I took over as Admin.

So, frankly, I'm just boggled at the audacity you have at trying to make me out to be a bad horrible person whilst also saying **** like "Liberty is a cool chick. I like her and I respect her." You sound like a politician doing their best double-talk and yes, it does make me upset, but more in the burst into tears over this **** type than the I want to throw something at someone aspect.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But...I...don't think you're a bad or horrible person.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Now, as to the question why so many people have been banned in the last little while... I see maybe four people who have been banned bar spam accounts.

One was crow, talked about above.
One was the stalker also mentioned above.
One was someone who broke the rules a bunch of times and got a 30 day ban, only to have it increased for longer when they made an alt to get around the ban.
One was another dupe account from someone who was already banned.

This is the banned people dating back to October/November. If you wonder why you got banned, do check your email addresses as there is an email sent out with not only the reason for being banned (unless you are told on the site itself before being banned) but also when you are allowed back on the site. If it's not there, then there must be either a discrepancy with the email tied to your name (happens if you change your email at some point) or something on my end. In that case, do send me a PM and I'll give you the details if you want them.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And with that response I think we should close this thread. Follow the procedure mentioned if you have questions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who loves the Final Fantasy series?~
Weather and time system twin release. Now with weather icons and possibility to add them in your custom clock!
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is finally being ported to PC. I loved playing that game on the original Xbox.
A friend told me to stop making nomnom or gulping noise when eating or drinking. Plot twist of my life. I thought people can't hear that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dito11