"Why bother making a video game?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tagris, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tagris

Tagris Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was recently asked this question. I didn't have an immediate answer because the question took me by surprise. The tone of the question was so dismissive and condescending that I was unsure if I needed to defend myself or actually if they were curious. Turns out they were curious! Just asked the question in an odd way.

It reminded me of sitting in the woods in painting, and someone asking why I am bothering. I don't know if in that moment I would have an answer that wasn't a defensive, 'because I want to !'

So, I wondered what others would answer...

Have you been asked a similar question and how did you answer it?
    Making a video game is a lot of work and time, why are you investing that time? What motivates you to desire to make a video game?

2. Learis

Learis Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly my motivation is to have at least one other person play it and enjoy it (or not, the fact that they simply played it is very fulfilling to me). I get to see all of my designs put to the real test. I do enjoy the game-making process and all the creativity that goes into it. But if no one plays the game then I would just feel empty. Kinda like if you spent all this time writing a novel and no one reads it.

Tagris and Lonewulf123 like this.
  3. Lonewulf123

Lonewulf123 Veteran

First Language:
    Enlish
    It's something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid.

I guess it's mostly for me, but I hope others can enjoy to some degree.

I think honestly it's a great feeling when you can create and share the worlds and characters you create. Whether that be through a book, story, art piece, it depends on the person. I just chose a game. I love how with a game a person can directly interact with the work.

Tagris likes this.
  4. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to be able to share a story that bring people enjoyment, and if at least one person enjoys my game, then I've fulfilled that.

That's my main reason. I mean sure, I've wanted to design a game for a long time, and it'd be something to put in a portfolio, but to me all of that means nothing if no one enjoys what I make.

Tagris, Lonewulf123 and Marsigne like this.
  5. Marsigne

Marsigne Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I haven't been asked the question (the ones who have heard about this hobby have been impressed instead) but if I were to be asked, my first response would be: why should I not bother?

Once things are clarified, I'd say that it's mostly because it's something that I enjoy to do, even if a little intensive at times. I enjoy the process, the feedback, and the achievement of completing it. It's something that I won't go off anytime soon. :kaopride:

Tagris likes this.
  6. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer

First Language:
    French
    You don't need a reason for a hobby, it's like gardening, why people do that ? Because they like it, the end.

ShadowHawkDragon and Tagris like this.
  7. Anthony Xue

Anthony Xue Ancient Architect

First Language:
    German
    Agreed. As long as its at least as much fun as work, no need to justify, really. (If it's the other way round, maybe question what you're doing.)

And honestly... in the hours you are spending on a creative work, other people are watching sports. Endlessly. Well, this is just something I can't understand, but if they want it that way, who's to judge them? (Well, me of course. Because at the end of the day, you'll have a creative work and they'll have, uhm, a head full of sports results or something. I won't trade :wink: )

Titris Thrawns, Tagris and Karlski like this.
  8. Eviticous

Eviticous Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    to tell a story where I can put my deepest emotions, fears, truths and self into a world to escape this one and deal with some of the inner demons that wage a war inside my heart, soul and mind.

Thats my answer.

9. Bonkers

Bonkers Internet Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To show the bigger companies how to captivate with less.

Titris Thrawns and Tagris like this.
  10. Lonnehart

Lonnehart Villager

First Language:
    ENglish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    TO MAKE EASY MONEY!!!

Just kidding. Making games is fun and a challenge. And especially with RPG Maker, which reminds me of the old days when games were made in some basement or garage and didn't cost billions of dollars to make...

Tagris likes this.
  11. Karlski

Karlski Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My girlfriend loves playing Pokémon on the game boy, but hasn't ever played Final Fantasy or other JRPG's so I thought i'd make her a game.

Because i'm creating something for a purpose, it makes the process that more bearable. I don't feel i'm wasting time if I spend 3 hours of my evening making maps when I know that the end product will be greatly received (hopefully lol)

The absolute bottom line of this scenario, is this: Are you having fun? If the answer is yes then you're winning! If you're painting in the woods and someone asks 'why are you bothering' then just be honest! Because you want to! - Just because someone else doesn't find pleasure in something, doesn't make it any less valuable to you.

Why am I making a game for my girlfriend?! Because I want to!

My question would be, why aren't you making a game? :rolleyes:

Tagris likes this.
  12. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Edit - deleted.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  13. Alice's hat trick

Alice's hat trick Abraca....what was that again...?

First Language:
    Cantonese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is so Emo I somehow would actually want to say that when someone did ask me this question! :kaopride:

Marsigne and Tagris like this.
  14. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, personally, it's a way to tell unique stories. Writing for an RPG is a lot like writing a script for a movie. While my true passion lies in writing short stories or attempts at making sweeping novels, I like the challenge writing for a video game brings.

I can't just write, "The sunlight cascaded through the treetops and filtered around the motes of dust in the quiet forest". I have to actually design that a little bit, create that sunlight, those trees, the motes of dust... make the forest sound quiet. Then, if there are people talking in it, I have to script what they say along with their motions instead of writing them. I can't just write, "She asked, 'how long have you felt that way?' with genuine concern spreading across her face". I have to write the dialogue and then show the character with that concern. I have to sometimes make exaggerated motions with the characters as well to get across something like excitement or anger.

It's also a way for me to study human behavior to an extent. When you know people, you can write better characters, more relatable ones. Studying how players game, what they respond to, what kinds of things in a story get them emotionally invested... That's useful information as a writer.

It is also a little bit fun to watch someone play something of yours. It's like when you build a shelf for someone and then watch them put it up and put things on it. Little bit of pride in there for the job you did, even if it doesn't look all that great. Or, it maybe functions kind of poorly.

I guess you could just use the tried and true answer of, "Why do anything? Why paint? Write? Worship a sports team? Watch a favorite TV show? Cook? Garden? Collect stamps? Why do anything? Because you want to, because it interests you."

Marsigne, Tagris and Verdelite like this.
  15. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist

First Language:
    english
    "Why bother making a video game?"

Why bother making a video game when you can play someone else's created game. Playing others game would save you from the trouble of laborious boring game making process, people's rejections and harsh critics.

Playing others people game are the only way and how it should be, you maybe for sure will pretty much enjoy more others created game than your own. Making your own video game will just hinder you from realizing your full potential as a full fledged video game player, as it takes years of practice to hone one's skill as a user player.

Playing someone's created game will make you appreciate the work dedication they have put through even for just simple ones! Playing someone's created game will make you realize how much you need to learn to be able to pull off a decent good enjoyable game.

Sorry to write that way but its question like that makes me in a different mood...to answer your question "why bother making a video game? ITS because of the awesome rpgmaker that would be my only reason.

16. itsMoist

itsMoist Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For me, theres a level of enjoyment in attempting to bring my creations to life, a level of intractability to an image you cant achieve through other mediums. I like to think of games as interactive movies.

rpgs have also been a window into sprite animations that i find charming. Its just simple animations, but it can be used to say more words than words or a static image could ever describe. I guess i want to immerse people in worlds so they can forget about life and just enjoy the moment they are in. Something like that, its what im looking for, so i figure others enjoy it too.

I find it to be like veiwing an amazing work of art when I see beautifully designed maps. N well.. thats because it is an amazing piece of art..

17. Tagris

Tagris Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for all the replies. It is also nice to hear that I am not the only one that would respond with a bit of defensiveness :) hehe

18. DigitalEva

DigitalEva Warper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Why make one? The short answer is: I want to. The long answer: I have a story that I want to tell, and I feel that a game makes the best use of all the ideas I want to use in the story for advancing the plot and working things out.

Sure, it is a lot of work. Loads more than I originally anticipated. But I am enjoying being able to work through things one moment at a time, as opposed to having to write several chapters for a short story. It will take a while, but it gives a better sense of pace.

Tagris likes this.
  19. atoms

atoms Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I bother to make a game because I find it a fun hobby, it's that simple really.

20. Andar

Andar Global Moderators

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why bother to play golf?
    Why bother to watch or play soccer?
    Why bother to have hobbies at all?

And like in any hobby, there are people who put in more effort than others for various reasons.
    Ask them back what they do as a hobby, or are they working 24/7?

padr81 and Marsigne like this.