"Why bother making a video game?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tagris, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DjKniteX

DjKniteX Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think my goal is to be a game developer or at least a professional one. I wanna make a couple games and push them on Steam if I could. But mainly I'm just using this as a hobby aside from my other hobbies haha

2. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why bother making a video game?
    This is an interesting question and one that doesn't have an easy answer. To me, a video game is a good place to face hardship, troubles, to tell a good story all while in the safety of your house. Some stories are best served in a video game, while others are best in books or comics. Those things are a good way of getting into the head of a character who isn't you for a bit and gives you the ability to expand your thinking for a bit.

For me, it is a good way of saying something that I believe in and to share an awesome story that has been floating around in my head for awhile. Will I become rich? Likely not. Will I sell a lot? Again, likely not, but who knows. My little brother, once, said that I would never outdo the professionals, so why bother. Of course, this is the same little brother who feels that it is WAY too much work to sign up for steam, humble bundle and gog for free game occasionally, so go figure. Everyone seems to have this idea that that something worthwhile has to earn you millions of dollars when I do not feel that it is that way at all.

Emily Dickenson's poetry (a large amount of it) wasn't published in her lifetime, did you know that? How many starving artist paintings become worth millions after they died? Sometimes, you want to create something, but you don't want a boss breathing down your neck while you do it. (^_^)/

Lord Vectra and jaypee like this.
  3. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Why bother playing a video game? Wouldn't that equally be a waste of time in the perspective of the one asking the original question?

Marsigne likes this.
  4. Lord Vectra

Lord Vectra Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Making a game brings your imagination to life. Video games are like movies except the player can change what happens next.

It allows you to escape real life and forge your own world. Then, you can go and share your world with others to enjoy.

Whether you are a hobbyist or a hardcore dev, usually, the above is true.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. HarmonyGames

HarmonyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why bother making a video game?
    It's my dream and I want to make it real.

Lord Vectra likes this.
  6. Lord Vectra

Lord Vectra Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Caitlin :kaojoy:
    such... such a deep message

Caitlin likes this.
  7. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. I enjoy it making games. Always have.
    2. There is a certain type of RPG that I've always envisioned would come but due to the shift they took where they became more story driven, it never happened.
    3. I want to get my son into designing and creating games.
    4. I want to make something special for him that he'll be able play and enjoy, now and after he's all grown up, maybe even after I'm gone from this world.

Stanley likes this.
  8. Lonnehart

Lonnehart Villager Member

First Language:
    ENglish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to post video links here, so I'll just make a suggestion. Go search out Extra Credit's "Non-Professional Game Dev" on Youtube. I'm guessing MOST of us make games just because we enjoy making them. :)

Aureus likes this.
  9. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I was 12 when i got my hands on a genesis for my bday. Comix Zone blew me away. I thought it was awesome and it combined my two fav mediums comics and games lol (i had no friends). I started dreaming up ideas. Then later at 14 i played Hexplore and the ending irked me to no end. I could write one better! So off to the library i researched what it was written in and learned coding (direct x! C++! Wtf) i noodled with level editors to a bunch of games and built new scenarios but it wasn't enough. At 16 i based my whole life to learning gaming and everything to do with it. In college i learned art music programming etc. (Had to cover all my bases.) I had stories to tell and playing as some old white guy irked me to no end. The stories got samey and old fast. So i wanted to create my own
    Inject some colour up in there. Add some gals that weren't just eye candy and only healers/mages/archers all about the t&a.
    For 10 years i made a lot of games learning how it worked what didnt and tinkered with a bunch of engines. Rpg maker i can make jump through hoops and im comfy with it (also game maker but i rather make rpg maker shine hellas just to prove awesomeness can be made in it). Went pro af 5 years ago when vx ace released on cd but only because of office politics and lazy coder monkeys everyone got the boot last xmas and Now it is my primary job. It keeps me alive and sane lol. And it's my vision i want to unleash on the world.
    So that's why in a nutshsell.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    watermark, Marsigne and Lord Vectra like this.
  10. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My main reasoning is a fairly selfish one, really. I tend to have trouble finding stories I like written by other people, so I've decided to just create those stories myself. Since video games are by far the form of media I consume the most, I just thought it would be natural to tell these stories through a video game. On top of that, there's something about being able to get directly involved in a story the way a video game lets you that puts it above simply watching or reading about it.

It's also partially out of self-gratification. If I make something good enough to get people talking about it, it does wonders for my personal sense of pride. I may never be successful enough to join the ranks of the timeless authors, but at least some people know who I am and acknowledge my existence.

Finally, I generally like making people happy. If I can make something that people enjoy, then that's a win in my book. Plus, I figure there's other people out there who like the same sorts of things I do and have similar amounts of trouble finding it, so by doing this I can make their search that much easier.

kaukusaki likes this.
  11. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why bother practicing for years just so you can throw a ball through a circle in the air?
    Why bother painfully lifting rocks just so you can lift even bigger rocks?
    By the same token, why put in all that sweat and toil just so you can make some blinking lights on a screen change into a different set of blinking lights?

If some alien observed us they would be befuddled by the strange and pointless things we do. "Ah, these humans," they would say, "They like to control fake characters in fake worlds so they can do this thing called 'beat the game.' This has absolutely no effect on their physical, social, or economic well-being. In fact, this behavior may very well be detrimental to all of them. Very strange."

In the end, why? There is no why. It's all love.

12. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Stanley and Marsigne like this.
  13. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    One easy and short answer: Why not?
    Seriously i create a game because i have fun and even if didnt complete one, it was fun working on it.
    Do people need to justify their hobbys nowadays? I will not.

14. Basileus

Basileus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm afraid I don't have any sentimental reasons for wanting to make a game.

I love playing games, but I never had a big dream to make one of my own. I've been tinkering with RPG Maker since RM2000, but it never became a super big hobby of mine. I'm plenty dissatisfied with the direction the industry is heading, but I can't say I ever felt that I could do better all by myself. I can absolutely understand why people think it's a waste a time.

But I still found a reason to do it anyway - the physical capabilities of the medium.

I wrote a story for NaNoWriMo and absolutely hated it. I revised it and tweaked it and just couldn't make it work. I got really good at setting up a scene with incredible detail and avoiding traps like "talking head syndrome" to keep things feeling alive. And it ended up using so many words that entire pages could go by without much actually happening. I wanted the reader to get a feel for the strange setting, and include little details to make the lore deeper, and get the reader to picture the characters roughly how I envisioned them. While I started developing creative work-arounds I just wasn't happy with it.

So I thought about making a visual novel. By using backdrops I could establish the basic scene without directly inserting it in the text. I could use character portraits to just show the reader the characters and switch portraits to show expressions without clumsy narration. I could insert big splash images for the really big moments. I could throw in visual and sound effects and use music to set the tone. But it still felt restricted and I had trouble working out how I would handle choices and possible story routes, and I just couldn't shake the problem of how to incorporate all of the setting details without pages upon pages of exposition.

So I decided that a full RPG would be the best way to tell my story. I can still incorporate a VN-style conversation system to handle major dialogue moments and I can still use effects and music to make funny moments funnier and dramatic moments more dramatic. I can use gameplay to keep the player engaged - instead of reading about a fight scene, the player can actually take control to win the fight themselves. All of my ridiculously detailed setting notes can be included since it's really easy to just place them around the maps and give the player chances to explore between story bits. I don't need to worry about rushing through the more important plot bits and risk skipping character development since I can keep the player's interest just by letting them explore and put lots of good stuff in side missions to reward them for taking the time to look around. I still have all of the strengths of writing a pure-text novel, and all of the audio-visual advantages of a visual novel, but with powerful tools like expressing things through active gameplay mechanics on top of it all.

It'll take ages to finish and I'm not expecting a timeless masterpiece. I think this is just how this story needs to be told is all.

jaypee likes this.
  15. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    I would answer: "why bother asking?"

I know I am an rear end in a top hat, so ....may be that's the reason why I make a video game:D.