akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, im going crazy over this but ive saved some png files i drew, but they arent transparent? How do i fix this? How can i port this to the engine?

IMG_0936.jpgIMG_0934.jpg IMG_0938.jpgIMG_0935.jpg

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Heya,

The attachements say they're saved as .jpg files--which don't support transparency. I would be absolutely sure that you're saving in a .png format when saving the images! What image editor do you use, just so we might be able to offer more specific advice on that front!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a warning as that is what might have happened:
NEVER use MS Paint for PNG's

MS Paint cannot save transparenc in png, and always destroys that transparency on saving as png.
Even the Win-10 version of MS Paint cannot save png transparency, only in other formats that no one uses (.heic)

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Older engines could actually use PNGs from Paint--I did all my pixel art in Paint for years, but RMXP would let you select a transparent and semi-transparent color instead of demanding files with alpha channels (transparency). Some popular image editors that support transparency are GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.Net, and GraphicsGale--if you're using one of these, or something similar, you should be able to get a transparent background just fine.

The background of your canvas should show a grey-on-grey checkerboard when it's blank. If you want to have a colored surface for drawing on, add a new layer and flood that with the background color, so you can turn the visiblity of that layer off before you save out your finished PNG. (If I had a dollar for every time I'd forgotten to turn off my background layer and accidentally imported something with a neon green background, I'd be rich XD)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RMXP would let you select a transparent and semi-transparent color instead of demanding files with alpha channels (transparency).
correct - but color replacement transparency is resource-intense and thereby often bad choice.
same goes for hue mathematics where you mathematically change the color of a picture.

it was only developed and used when the computers were so limited that every byte counted.

GodCiunas

The Idea Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could load your images into gimp on a transparent, edit what you need and then export it as a png file. This works for me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So if I wanted to share little video clips of my game on here... without using youtube... what would be the most ideal way to do that? FWIW, I use Mega a lot to upload videos and just share the links with my friends.
What is a thing you like to see in RPGs?
Well, I hope things go well tomorrow. I think I might be coming down with a cold, so gonna warm up some chicken soup and sleep.
Status too sad. Pls delete, mods. Thanks.
The most important thing to design your game for is fun. If a game isn't fun, why would anyone want to play it? Well, that and "can you play the game?". Anything else is incidental.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mozhiji2008