Why do RM buildings/structures have no inside doors?

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I was map building, I noticed that there seem to be little to no inside doors for buildings or structures.

For example, virtually all the built-in maps of building-insides have no doors, even where such doors would be logical to have (bathrooms, bedrooms, offices, closet/storage rooms, etc.).

Also, technically speaking, the walls are effectively 3 tiles high - 2 for the wall itself, and 1 for the "ceiling" part. This would make for an oddly shaped door insofar as scale is concerned. One could simply place the ceiling tile, and have a two-high door animation made, but then there would need to be some sort of movement event back and forth as setting the "ceiling" tile to be walk-under-able might result in some odd glitches in unexpected areas; though it might also give the effect that the area behind the "ceiling" tile is simply occluded, lending a sense of depth to the structures. Having to make individual events for each and every doorway seems to be somewhat extreme. Perhaps a special extra set of tiles that match the existing walls and ceilings which are specifically set to walk-under-able? For horizontally based doors, I suppose that a left and right "doorstep" decoration tile could be made, to signal an entrance that is horizontally oriented?

Did I miss a built-in solution for this somewhere?

Has anyone made an solutions for indoor doors?

Or, does anyone have any suggestions for how this might otherwise be resolved?

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wha...? Doors are character sheets for events, not tiles :unsure:

Yes, I found those, however, those seem to be limited in usage such as for transitions from map to map; such as going from an inside map to an outside map and so forth.

What if I want to have door tile(s) on the map level, that match the look-and-feel (ie: scale) of the building, but do nothing but block the player from entering a given area until the door is opened? No transition to another map, just open and close and walk through into the other area. Note also that horizontal doors and doorways need to be factored into this.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, I found those, however, those seem to be limited in usage such as for transitions from map to map; such as going from an inside map to an outside map and so forth.

What if I want to have door tile(s) on the map level, that match the look-and-feel (ie: scale) of the building, but do nothing but block the player from entering a given area until the door is opened? No transition to another map, just open and close and walk through into the other area. Note also that horizontal doors and doorways need to be factored into this.
Oh, you're right there.

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, you're right there.

I also noted that the tutorial has one part which uses a door connected to a switch to block a path, but it is an appear/disappear type: no opening animation, and while it is a useful lesson, it doesn't quite do what I was looking for.

chrrsy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, it's entirely possible to do something like that.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The neat way to do stuff like that, is using the door sprites, along with parallax mapping.
Parallax mapping is an advanced mapping method, that uses pictures.
The grid editor is only used to set passabilities and events.

It works like this:

High layer: You show a picture with things that must be drawn above the hero, like the star passability but on a whole map scale. The picture is shown above hero.
Same layer: No picture, just eventing and stuff. You set passabilities using transparent tiles. This is the grid editor layer.
Lower layer: You show a picture with things that must be drawn below the character. Using passability, you can block the hero from going at places he/she shouldn't thus it makes look like also like same level drawn stuff.

A plugin should be involved, like the following one...
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/bind-pictures-to-map.46776/

You should also make a tileset made of transparent tiles. Some columns must have 4 tiles with and X drawn on them, and 4 columns must have an an O drawn. This is the most simple. You set the WHOLE columns with O to passable, the X columns to not passable. This is the most simple one. You can do more things though.
You can draw columns like up and down arrow and set such passability for bridges, you can set anything you want actually, using just one tile with drawing and the next one below it, with the passability being transparent.

You then draw the map using the drawn tiles (e.g. X or O) to set passability everywhere.
Then you fill the areas of X with the tile that is transparent and have the same passability, and so on.
Thus you end up with correct passability and transparent tiles.

There is a nice video tutorial in this thread...
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ping-for-beginners-3-part-video-series.49028/

Finally, I made a tutorial but it was for VX Ace. It still can help you understand how things work though:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...he-very-first-how-it-works.43794/#post-438806

Also, you can use Door quick events and then delete the transfer Event command to make what you need happen, but it will just look a little ugly without a wall above the door. That is why I encourage you to check parallax mapping. Tell me what you think about it. ;)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The best I know that you can do without parallaxing is to place a door but instead of transferring, set a movement route to enter the door, disappear, move to a location where the player would exit (with Through on) and then have them reappear. Make sure you turn Through back off. Probably need to close the door as well.

Last edited:

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The best I know that you can do is without parallaxing is to place a door but instead of transferring, set a movement route to enter the door, disappear, move to a location where the player would exit (with Through on) and then have them reappear. Make sure you turn Through back off. Probably need to close the door as well.
Wow, good idea, never thought of that :o

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The best I know that you can do is without parallaxing is to place a door but instead of transferring, set a movement route to enter the door, disappear, move to a location where the player would exit (with Through on) and then have them reappear. Make sure you turn Through back off. Probably need to close the door as well.

A really smart idea, but what if the pop-up of the hero would not suit the needs of the developer. Still it is a brilliant thought, that doesn't involve parallaxing.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's a trick I used in my game Eremiel. Instead of disappearing, change the opacity down to 192 then 128 then 64 and finally to 0. Put a 10-15 frame wait between each step. This will fade you out. Do the reverse to fade back in. Best to put these in common events or it'll get tedious fast.

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could just use the typical door transfer animation, but remove the move route stuff and the transfer bit to have the door open. Reverse the movements, add a few move player forward, and you can have them close behind the player. I'll make two events, one which opens the door pretty much permanently, and one which opens, the character is moved through, and then it closes behind the character, and then post the screenshots for them either in this post, or a later post.

EDIT:
open.png
open,close.png
Here you go, I always use these if I'm having any doors inside a building.

Last edited:

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I was meditating upon how to solve this, I also thought of using the "through" checkbox option. I will have to play around with it to see what actually happens when it is used.

Thank you for the various tips, sequence ideas, and also the screenshots with examples. Much appreciation to all!

I'll have to poke at it for a while and get back to everyone as to how it turned out.

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmmm, I can't seem to figure out how to make the "through" option work. I must be missing something? The documentation is not making it clear to me, can anyone point me to a good tutorial or explain it to me?

chrrsy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What's not working?
The through option allows events + players to walk on top of the event.

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is my two-page event door, which can be opened (allowing player to pass) or shut (blocking player movement) by the player walking up to it and interacting.

The only real problem I've found with it is that you have to know where the door is in order to close it, because the door image is blank when it's open. If this bothers you, you could remove the "turn up" on the first page and use the right-facing sprite (second-from-bottom in the spritesheet) for the second page.

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Llareian

What is the purpose of the turn left, wait 3, turn right, wait 3, turn down part?

Also, I finally figured out that checking the through checkbox allowed player to walk on top of the event, however, the event stops working when I did that. It's like the player touch and event touch no longer function if the through checkbox is checked.

What I am trying to do, is to set up a magic skill which has a duration. When it is on, it reveals hidden/secret doors. I'm going for super simple, so just having a sparkly animation on top of the walls that one can now walk through is sufficient for my purposes. I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that only the designated areas can be walked through, if the character tries to move through the wall at the point the animation appears. When the skill is not active, the passages are also inactive.

any ideas? everything I've tried has failed so far, except for my first setup which allowed the player to enter from the left, and walk through the wall from the left, but they couldn't walk across the event from the top or bottom, and when I checked on THROUGH, the event no longer interacted with the player at all. sigh.

I've tried adding clauses that cover walking over it from the top or bottom, but it just freezes the game....

Last edited:

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's based on using a skill? You can play an animation in a common event that is switched on when the skill is used.(You might need a switch for each passageway to specify where the event plays... idk I just woke up, lol)

You can use a control timer to limit the duration of the effect, it's found on page one of the event options.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have to admit I've become a bit confused with this thread because there are some things in this discussion which are not clear to me, and I'm someone who uses internal doors fairly frequently.

There is absolutely no need to use a plugin, doodads, parallaxing or anything extra, this is just basic eventing.

For your door opening, do you have a ceiling tile above the door? If so, you will need to use a section of the ceiling autotile and construct a piece which you put on a B-E tile sheet and set it to star passability so that the player can pass under it. If you don't, the sprite will always stick.

Your door graphic should have the black section removed from the open door images.

You will need to use a conditional branch to determine if the player is facing up or down if you want the player to open it from either direction.

Here is an example of a door which only needs to be opened from one direction.
upload_2018-3-4_20-43-17.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Snarkyfork wrote on Trihan's profile.
Hey man, I saw you mention that you do MV javascript work? Just wanted to confirm it before I put you on speed dial. =)
"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CGI_ERICYT