Why do some games with terrible graphics still achieve success?

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for me,no matter is that Good or Bad Graphic is,there's an Element that you must have: Uniqueness of that System & Gameplay itself are the make it success.

ZenVirZan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I always felt like graphics were a vehicle for whatever concept you're trying to present. The important part is that it gets the point across without being intrusive or negatively impacting the experience--you don't want the players to be lamenting the graphics, you want them to be thinking about the gameplay/story/etc. instead. Sure, you can make things fancier, but I feel like cohesion is what makes or breaks good visuals, not whether it's 3D and has 4K uncompressed textures or not.

Chasing visual fidelity leads to games that age poorly. Technology moves on and the existing games become less pretty in comparison, requiring them to rely instead of their other traits. If you have good graphics but lukewarm gameplay/narrative on release, will there be any reason in 10 years to consider playing it?

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Chasing visual fidelity leads to games that age poorly. Technology moves on and the existing games become less pretty in comparison, requiring them to rely instead of their other traits. If you have good graphics but lukewarm gameplay/narrative on release, will there be any reason in 10 years to consider playing it?
I agree with this. We are at the point where we can look back at Xbox 360 and PS3 games and wonder how we ever thought they looked realistic over a decade ago. What's worse, because some of those games pushed visuals so hard to sell people on HD gaming, they run pretty poorly on their original hardware which ages them even more.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Graphics are good, but as some persons stated before, sometimes the experience is too shallow to have any fun with it. My PC is also isn't any high end gamer PC, I usually stick to old games that don't require much to be playable.

Remember that graphics aren't everything either. Good games also have good playability and a nice story (in the case of most RPGs).

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Much of the old 2D pixel rpg games still fit so much with the gameplay as well as story. which fits a lot more them most of the more modern games i've noticed.

Plus hence you also see why many love the older classes of the NES/SNES/GEN consoles generation games since there's so much ingenuity that fits so well with the gameplay.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At this point in the conversation, I can only regurgitate what others have already said.

Aside from Diablo II, which was already mentioned, my best example would be Half-Life.
And I am talking Half-Life 1 specifically.

To me, the graphics of that game look dated, no doubt.
But they are anything but bad.
In my opinion, the gaphics carry a great portion of the game's charme.

I played the game so much that the graphics and the gold source engine became the most recognizable thing in gaming to me.

I could smell a mod made with the gold source engine from several miles away.

Even though Half-Life 2 has objectively better graphic quality than Half-Life 1,
it is my honest belief that Half-Life 1 has STILL aged better than Half-Life 2 by a long shot.

TL;DR : Most of the time, it is not about the quality of the graphics, but rather how fitting they are for what the game wants to convey in terms of narrative and atmosphere.

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think a reply has been very much summed up by most of the other people for this thread. All I will say is that no, we can't all agree that the graphics aren't spectacular. I think Streets of Rogue looks great. It looks interesting and the aesthetic, combined with the features and the gameplay, draws me in.
(aka, the marketing as mentioned by another user)

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ScorchedGround you'll trip balls when you see Black Mesa then.
Yeah, I've played Black Mesa. And it's a great game.
One of the big qualities of the game is that it somewhat redeemed the Xen part of the game, which was one of the few things I could say are not great about Half-Life 1 (along with "On Rails").

However, for me it does not have the same replay value as the original.
For Black Mesa, it was mostly go in once, be amazed, and let it rest in a happy place in my memory.

Now, going back on track of this thread's original discussion, I'm not sure if this is because of the graphics. They fit well enough for game, but it doesn't have the same charme as the original game.
I mean it looks fantastic, and I love that the developers kept the original level designs in mind when making the game. It just doesn't give me the same feeling.

But then again, that might just be my nostalgia shining through.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because graphics are only part of the equation. I still enjoy occasional NES and SNES games, as well as an old online game called Meridian 59. Ass graphics all around, but I find them all very enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, because graphics are still important, but there's a good reason why I'd rather play Final Fantasy games before 10 rather than after 10.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check Tibia, i could never get into it because i despised its gameplay and then the graphics, if the gameplay wasnt so annoying and cumbersome i would have gotten into it despite its 2d super low res minecraft approach but the gameplay was atrocious when i tried it more than 10 years ago examples include:
Waiting turns for a npc vendor in an mmo, thats 10+ mins just to sell your vendor trash since it can only deal with one person at once.

You had to manually log out, closing the game with alt f4 or a disconnect left your character wandering and pvp was always on, people could kill your afk character and steal your stuff.

To repeat: pvp was always on and people could steal your stuff lv 100s hunted lv 50s, one shotting and stealing, super fair...

You needed to click a creature or player, and find the "attack" command on a right click windows list type menu, same for looting.

Full nope.

To ADD to the dislikeness i had for the game my point of comparison was Mu online which at the time looked like super hi res flashy diablo 2, yes the graphics werent pleasing but what really killed it for me was the gameplay experience, yet to this day Tibia still lives and its played by thousands.

Ill add cents to the bank all people already deposited on this thread: most people play for gameplay and feel, then looks.

Zalzany

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"Good" is subjective I love a good pixel art game here and there. Key thing isn't the graphics I loathe when people show up and go "well it looks like 1990s trash!" its like yeah I grew up in the 90s that is called retro and they did a great job at it. Also key thing is story and gameplay. If you can connect to them get the player excited about the game mechanics or story, the graphics are just window dressing.

And I played many a game with amazing graphics that bored me to tears. Heck on of the RPGM games that hooked me the most used basic RTP tilesets, and char generator, but swear that dev should write novels. Did a great job with just chat box, basic events not a single plugin to create an game you didn't want to put down.

Granted not every one can be that lucky or skilled, but point is work with your strengths if you lack on other things you might need eye candy to distract people, if you suck at eye candy you better be willing to toss some humor and pinch of drama in to keep that player hooked.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Screenshot-2021-05-02-at-15-07-54.png

Tivadar will help you travel to distant places in Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace

Finally done with the school project, here's the raw video of it. o_O :smile:
Can February March? No, but April May.
Alisa: Prophecy of the Falling Stars. Join Alisa, a quiet girl with a heart filled with love and hope, on her journey to prevent a calamity. My next RPG Maker music pack is my largest and most focused pack yet. It's a musical story that focuses on a young heroine named Alisa who has been assigned the ultimate task to prevent a calamity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parkji