Why do you like RPG Maker?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lautan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lautan

lautan Warper Member

I'm currently working on a RPG maker program. I want to make it awesome but I don't know why people use RPG Maker. I know why I do but why do you? So please help me out and answer a few basic questions.

What do you like about RPG Maker?

Do you prefer games with turn-based combat or zelda like combat?

Do you think browser quest is fun? (browserquest.mozilla.org)

What do you wish RPG Maker had?

What features in RPG Maker do you like most?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm not going to mention the website or name because I don't think its right. I will mention it if people are interested in learning more.

2. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You can post about your project in the appropriate section of the forum. ;)

As for your questions:

It allows me to create my absolute favorite type of game, and I love creating games.

Turn-based by faaaaaaaar

Never heard of it and don't really have time to check

The most significant ones: a way to release games on Xbox/Android/etc., more tilesets and their looks closer to those from XP, a battle system like Shining Force (tactic RPG)

Accessibility and resources

3. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    I have played very few games more boring than Browser Quest. If you're planning to make a game like it, please don't.

As for the rest, it doesn't really matter.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This topic is something that a certain user we know would make. If you want to make an awesome game, take the time to actually look at the complete games, project development, and feedback topics. What does Browser Quest got to do with anything!?

5. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It'd rock if one of these other makers ever got released.

• What do you like about RPG Maker?
      RM's great for designing games with very little training needed. The interface is simple and effective. With a couple of hours of research and tinkering around, you could probably get all of its basic functions right away.
      There are several other makers available online that also utilize the same point and click interface RM does for events and behaviors, but if I'm not mistaken, RM is the only software specifically built to make jRPGs. While still possible, creation of full-blown jRPGs on software like Game Maker, Construct 2, Stencyl, or WME would require a whole lot of extra work even for the simplest/most trivial functions typically associated with the genre.
      Also, the RM community is crazy active. An absolute plus.
    • Do you prefer games with turn-based combat or zelda like combat?
      I'd go either way, as both can be entertaining when done right. In this case, however, if a new maker would have to support one of the two, I'd pick the latter. Action RPGs still prove to be a little tricky to pull off on RM and if you're out to build an RM clone, you may as well provide for what RM doesn't readily provide.
    • Do you think browser quest is fun? (browserquest.mozilla.org)
      I'll probably get back to you on this once the thing lets me connect to the server.
      Won't load so screw it. I don't care much for browser games anyway. I prefer my casual games fix on mobile, so unless it's an app or built with HTML5 that runs on my iPhone browser, I probably wouldn't bother.
    • What do you wish RPG Maker had?
      A 'Make my Game for Me' button.
    • What features in RPG Maker do you like most?
      RGSS, or just the ability to modify or add features via custom scripts. I honestly couldn't get over my giddiness when they first announced it on XP back in the day.

6. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why the random plug for browser quest? How is that in any way relevant to the discussion at hand? When I read the OP I feel like I'm taking one of those "Which does not belong..." tests.

7. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think he's trying to get a consensus on how folks feel about a maker that publishes browser-based/online multiplayer stuff? Most of the newer engines like having web players and there are folks that have been pining for an online RPG Maker for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  8. Monthigos

Monthigos Tata Veteran

First Language:
    English

It's accessible and flexible. You can get started right away working on something, but via scripting almost anything is possible. I tried RM95 way back in the day and it didn't do what I wanted so I steered clear from the RPG Maker series for the longest time. I got Ace on a whim when it came out, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I like both equally.

Do you think browser quest is fun?

Never played it.

The ability to port games to handheld systems would certainly be nice.

The scripting.

9. vociferocity

vociferocity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    browserquest is alright, it's just over too fast haha. 20 achievements in 20 minutes, invulnerability potions next to the "final boss" so you can beat him with basically the starting equipment...it's kinda fun, though. (although admittedly a lot of the fun comes from the fact that it doesn't seem to be censored at all? so you can just run around griefing people all day long with as much awful language as possible hahaha)

for rpgmaker, I like how well integrated scripting is. in a lot of game making software, the fact that a non-programming baby could use it is usually a selling point...but if someone who does know how to program comes along, often customising your game is super difficult. rpgmaker gives you access to pretty much everything going on backstage, so you can change a lot of stuff, and make your game behave uniquely.

you'll never get everyone to agree on a combat style, so just pick the one that's best suited for the games you want people to make with your software, and go for it. but don't forget to let them play around with it. if they want zelda style, and you've only implemented pokemon style, or fire emblem style, they should be able to make their game have zelda style combat (if they script it, or if you have add-on combat modules, idk).

10. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    BrowserQuest was never meant to be a serious project. It was to prove what HTML5 is capable of.

RPG Maker is a clean program with scripting abilities, to keep the source of the engine clean and set to a specific standard. That's probably the main reason I like this program - the easy plug and play nature of it.

11. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Easy to use.

Provides complete demos and resources so I don't need to make anything if I don't want to. It allows me to focus on what I want to do and test it easily without having to first build a game (or engine).

No preference. As long as the battle system is reasonable.

Never played it. Are you targeting online platforms? lol

Less superficial restrictions. Silly things like hardcoded number of regions, hardcoded number of tilesetst, etc.

I don't really care about what RPG Maker COULD have, I just want them to take out all of these things that I suppose are meant to hold our hands in case we do something stupid and then sue them for letting us jump off the cliff at our own discretion.

(of course that's probably not the reason why they're in place, but I also don't see how hard it would be to make it more flexible by not designing it that way)

Scripting interface.

But that's a given for any application that encourages users to customize it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    Monthigos likes this.
  12. Probotector 200X

Probotector 200X Probotect and Serve Veteran

I like creating characters, worlds, and stories! I also like being able to "walk around in" and "explore" these worlds, and to me, RPGs are the best format for such a thing BY FAR. I've tried a few other game making programs, and it seems nightmarish to do simple RPG features that are easy in RPG Maker....So, RPG Maker it is!

Turn-based. But I love variants, like Final Fantasy X's CTB. Sort of turn-based, but done in a totally different way.

Never tried it.

Better "re-sorting". That is, I'd like an easier way to re-sort items, weapons, armor, skills, etc. in the database. I feel like I have to plan out how many items/skills/equipment/etc. I want before I get started, that really messes me up and the way I make RPGs.

I love the stuff you can do with events, so much interesting stuff you can do without scripting at all.

13. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

The visual editor that makes sure that what you see is what you get, as well as the easiest to understand variables and booleans (switches) system i've seen in a game making program!

RPG maker was obviously made with turn-based combat in mind. I like both, but think RPG maker games best stick to what the system is made for.

The ability to export browser-based games. (I know its impossible with the current systems, but this is what I wish for, remember!)

Compatibility with Mac. I don't use a mac, but the fact that RPG maker games can only be played on Windows and PCs is seriously depressing. :c

Less arbitrary restrictions. Having more control over screen size (the max size is depressingly small), or even tile size and collision size.

Kinda mentioned them under the first dot point!

14. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Isn't that what RealmCrafter is for?

15. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's low cost, low barrier to entry, and no restrictions on commercial sales (royalties, revenue sharing, limited projects, etc...)

Turn based, though psuedo-turn based is alright too

Don't know, don't care.

Full source code access. Ability to create executables for mobile devices.

It at least uses a real language for scripting.

16. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not familiar with it but I gave it a look. Seems alright, but it may be a little challenging.

17. Miltix

Miltix Villager Member

First Language:
    Elven

It's easy to use and it requires almost no programming knowledge to make a playable game.

Zelda-like. Turn-based combat is too common nowadays.

Not really.

The return of multiple layers. I don't know why Enterbrain removed that.

Scripting. RM taught me how to use Ruby and some programming languages.

18. lautan

lautan Warper Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The reason I mention browser quest was because I wanted your opinion on unique RPGs that break away from the norm.

19. Rello

Rello Rello Veteran

First Language:
    Profanity

It's simple enough for younger/non-code savvy people to have fun with but the allowing of custom scripts allows more advanced users to get more fancy with their projects. I also like the "complete package"; referencing the Database, Script Editor and Graphic User Interface (GUI).

I actually DON'T like old-skool action RPGs. Modern ones are fun (Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Cloud, etc), but I'm not fond of older ones (like Secret of Mana or Crystalis). I love turn-based games though.

It's silly and kinda fun for like 10 minutes, but then it gets boring. So substance.

C++ or C# support. The ability to edit scripts while in test play mode.

The simple GUI and the Database. The Database is actually a very nice touch when looking at other makers/raw coding.

20. Ocedic

Ocedic Dog Veteran

Heck, I wish you could edit anything in test play mode. A lot of times while playtesting I'll stumble upon a small bug. It'd be nice if I could edit it right then and there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012