Why do you use Rpgmaker?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nightterrorz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. nightterrorz

nightterrorz Villager Member

Im curious, why do you make games with rpgmaker? For fun? Do you eventually want to pursue a career in making video games? Do you already get paid to make games with rpgmaker? How far do you plan on going with making games on rpgmaker?

Tell me something!

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Because it's the easiest and most user-friendly 2D game maker that I've encountered... Plus it has a nice community...

Cryranos likes this.
  3. Cozzer

Cozzer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    For me it's just an hobby, but I'm always happy when I see other people's RM success stories.

Dalph likes this.
  4. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I've been doing it full time since 2008. :)

5. nightterrorz

nightterrorz Villager Member

As a job???? Or your enjoyment?

If as a job.. I didnt know you can get that far using rpgmaker.

I was in highschool/juniorhigh when I first played with rpgmaker.. im 24 now and just got back into it

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't really use RM to make games.  Odd, I know, but really I just like to play around with the maker, put my own art into it and make little incomplete test games and demo maps.  Eventually I'll settle down and use it to make a game for pure self gratifying fun but for now I'm happy making art.

Neverward and Dalph like this.
  7. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Yes, as an indie dev. The only "non full-time" side of it is that it's actually taking me "only" about 3 hours a day.  :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  8. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Simple, I like developing games, It's fun(believe it or not, It's even fun when I'm having a hard time getting something to work properly, makes me want to get the event working even more, atleat in RPG Maker), and why RPG Maker? I'm not a living god when it comes to coding(I can read code, and I can do all sorts of from the ground up map coding, but after years of helping people develop games, that's about it when it comes to coding), and trust me, nothing is fun when you can't figure out how to code such(having to translate code in your mind, and reverse engineer that to work out problems, is the most annoying, tedious nightmare in the entire world, just kill me now, death would be a relief compared to that), so outside of helping others create a game(with non-coding related things), RPG Maker is the best way to go.

9. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Because Im too lazy and unskilled to do all of it myself and rpm workjs around that and just lets me tell a story i want to tell without having to spend over 9000 years learning how to program and sprite.

10. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I quote Cozzer (the italian fellow), it's just an hobby but I like to see and possibly appreciate the creativity of the indie developers. I also like telling stories in my own way, and see different reactions towards them...

Nothing feels more gratifying when someone appreciates you and your work.

Susan likes this.
  11. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yup!

That and mapping is like...Sims or LEGO for me ;P I am still in the newbie stage where the tiles are pretty and I wanna play with them...and BREAK THEM TO MY WILL  BD

Dalph likes this.
  12. Creepy Pie

Creepy Pie The Creepiest of Pies! Veteran

First Language:
    Hebrew
    I've been interested in game-making since forever and this engine is really easy to use, so I decided to start here before moving on to other engines.

13. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    i may be really off topic here :guffaw: , at first i want to make a game using rpg maker, but lately i just draw sprites/tiles/tileset cuz its fun to draw.

just do what you think is fun :D

of course in the long run i do want to make a game with rpg maker.....

14. Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed Dungeon Fanatic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Despite its look, it is actually quite a powerful tool. The work enterbrain has put into each rpg maker is remarkable. I'm in love with the series itself but I only own VX Ace sadly. I'm looking to buy VX and XP soon though. I mainly want XP because of the layer mapping.

I'm also trying to get into pixel art (which had never crossed my mind until I started playing with the RPG maker).

Also, I absolutely love you can just hop in and game develop without actually making anything custom. You have skills and items and all that ready to go (if you choose). While your first game you might want to do that as database management could get boring.... I totally skipped that step for now and just going balls deep. (I don't recommend that though, lol but it does motivate you to learn faster)

15. EFizzle

EFizzle Rum aficionado Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It allows me, a terrible programmer and artist, to make a game that others can enjoy. Plus I love the RPG genre anyway, and RPG Maker is perfect for it! (Plus I REALLY... REALLY despise GameMaker. It's a pile of dragon doo-doo. I've also tried other engines, like Construct, but I just never could truly understand those as easily as RM.)

16. DustyCat Media

DustyCat Media Indie Game Purrfector Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Im curious, why do you make games with rpgmaker? For fun? Do you eventually want to pursue a career in making video games? Do you already get paid to make games with rpgmaker? How far do you plan on going with making games on rpgmaker?

Tell me something!

Personally, I want to make games as a hobby. I want people to play them. I consider making games an outlet for my creative side. But ever since I partnered with Adrian, I considered selling games. 

17. SunStoneLight

SunStoneLight Sweet-as-Cake Member

First Language:
    English
    Because it's a nice little game maker where you can make your own storys come to life.  I remember playing around with XP and in the year 2014, i ended up getting RPG MAKER VX ACE, to which i don't understand >_<

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  18. KnightlyGamer

KnightlyGamer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Do you think you could talk about this a bit more for those of us who'd like to get to that point? What was the journey to get to this point like? Any tips or warnings? Mistakes you made / things you did well? (Etc.) Sorry for the barrage of questions, just very interested.

If it isn't obvious from what I wrote above I'm using RPG maker because I'd like to use it to eventually get some income (probably just supplemental, I don't know if I need / want to take it full time).

I'm a writer mainly and have always loved playing video games. I've played with the thought of actually making games but it's always felt out of reach. With RPG Maker that's no a longer problem. Obviously there's still a learning curve and some difficulty (especially in making sure there are commercial licenses for the games I'm making if I do decide to take them commercial), but it's a great start for me and I'm having a blast with it.

19. KyleRiley

KyleRiley Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (CAN)
    I use RPG Maker because I've always enjoyed RPGs and I always wanted to try making my own. It's mostly for fun and I am no where near good enough to make a job out of any aspect of game design. I'm mostly just an ideas guy.

20. Vassim74

Vassim74 It's a Secret! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, RPG Maker is a hobby. It's something I do when I'm not busy with other things, and it's a great pass time activity because I'm always learning something new with it everyday. Though most projects I've worked on so far has been merely for experimental purposes, I do eventually want to make a full game with it. Since I am not very good with digital art, I'm just using RTP graphics that I've recolored. I would use other people's public resources, but I feel that the character sets for my game must be unique to it.