Why does it seem foreigners speak English better?

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've noticed foreigners normally speak a lot better than a lot of native speakers? How do you learn English? I was wondering because we learn English for 12 years and yet a lot of people still don't use it correctly

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's something I've wondered more than once myself, and I'm honestly not 100% sure. My best guess is that native English speakers don't need to speak it "well" because let's be honest, you can largely completely mangle a sentence in English and still understand what it's meant to say. So I think in large part it's complacency and the laziness bred from that. In other words, native speakers speak worse English simply because they have no need to speak it better. Whereas someone who's learning English is presumably doing so in order to communicate with English speakers in places where English is the predominant language, and as a result their knowledge is fresher and they care more about doing it correctly.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To be honest I wanted to be an English teacher and teach English in Japan because I honestly love our language but to be honest again I love all languages, different dialects are so beautiful in how they express the same things but in different ways

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm learning Scottish Gaelic at the moment. It's been really good getting to grips with my ancestral language and it's so much fun to write/speak.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm currently learning japanese slowly but surely new writing systems are hard to get but as you practice you get better!

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't really know why it seems that way but I can tell you how we learn English. In my country, we put a lot of emphasis on learning English because it's a common language that works in most countries, can be used to communicate with most people. English is a compulsory subject in schools/colleges. We're supposed to learn the English alphabet in kindergarten. I think I was 7 when we started reading English stories. In 6th grade, it branches into two separate subjects (this is for English version schools. More on that later): English Literature and English Language. Literature deals with communication and the artistic stuff like stories, poems. We had to complete an incomplete story, write letters and stuff. And language deals with the grammar, proper use of words and formal writings like applications.
There are three types of schools that are present in the country. English medium schools which follows a foreign curriculum. English version schools on the other hand follow the national curriculum. The only difference with the native language speaking schools is that all subjects have to be in English (except the native language of course.)
I've studied in an English version school. Sometimes I feel jealous because English medium students have better accents but in the end, I know more about my culture and country better than them so that's a win XD
And not to mention the English cartoons. These play a huge role in teaching kids English. Children's brains are better at picking stuff up quickly and if they watch a show in a foreign language they will learn the language quite easily.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm currently learning japanese slowly but surely new writing systems are hard to get but as you practice you get better!
The only thing I remember from my Japanese lessons from back in the day is "Ore no chinpo wa ookii desu." which means something too rude to translate here. XD

I used to have a lot of hiragana and katakana memorised but it's all gone now. I'll pick it back up eventually.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
They try that with Spanish here but it rarely works I tried to learn french in school but it was super difficult because I could barely understand my teachers accent he was from the ivory coast in africa

The only thing I remember from my Japanese lessons from back in the day is "Ore no chinpo wa ookii desu." which means something too rude to translate here. XD

I used to have a lot of hiragana and katakana memorised but it's all gone now. I'll pick it back up eventually.

Look I don't know what that says but I can assume bc I know what chinpo is

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I took German at school because I was born in Germany. Taught myself Spanish for a while to help my wife when she was doing classes in that. I enjoy learning languages too, wish I had more time for it but I'm usually flat out with programming work at the moment.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't have much of a life because I live off of SSI because I'm disabled (mentally) according to the state

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I lost my job end of last year and am my wife's carer, so between looking after her and doing freelance work I haven't had time for much else.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That really sucks I'm sorry to hear that. I can't work and have to live off of 700 dollars a month I hope you find a new job tho!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm currently taking this opportunity to see if I can expand my Trilobytes brand and freelance coding into a full-time earner so I can go back into business for myself, but we'll see how it goes.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on the OP topic. i think it because of all the synonyms we use on a regular basis and english having more words then any other language.
we'll just say whatever synonym we think of 1st and expect others to understand our exact meaning while non native english speakers will think more carefully about what they are trying to say.

there's also the issue of how fast people talk when using their native language.
we tend to slur and mix words together as long as we still get our original intent out.
remember, words like isn't and we're originally didnt exist in the english language,
we just became to lazy to sound out "is not" and "we are"
... also slang "cus aint that sumthin" lol

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh this has an easy answer. Here in the U.S.A. we don't speak English. Nah, we speak 50 different flavors of gibberish. However we have secretly perfected a gibberish to English translator so you just think we speak English. I however am here to reveal the great secret as I'm not afraid of the consequences! :kaopride:

//Knocking at the door

Oh hey, one second the pizza's here! :LZSexcite:

//Door opens, followed by sounds of yelling, fighting and finally a loud thump...
//After a few moments a clearly different voice responds.

I'm sorry I must be mistaken. Please ignore what I said and carry on. :ninja:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I hear foreigners speak English, it tends to be an overly formal version of the language, not how natives talk to one another on a daily basis. So, foreigners aren't speaking English better than natives, they're just using the language differently, often very formally. It's not really possible to speak a language better than someone else, unless that someone else can barely speak the language in the first place. Languages aren't static things, they're constantly evolving as people use them. Pick up a modern dictionary and take a look at the new words that have entered our language fairly recently.

In England alone (not talking of Wales and Scotland) nigh all towns and cities have their own regional dialects. Very few speak the "proper" form of English that has been popularised in movies, and which seems to be taught abroad; but then, why would foreigners be taught Black Country (Yam yam), Brummie, or the Geordie way of speaking English. xD

People moaning about grammar and how language is used isn't a new thing. Some folk have looked down upon others, especially younger generations, since ancient times because they see them as using the language wrongly.

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've wondered about this before too. Specially after visiting the r/BoneAppleTea subreddit, a subreddit that's about typos, spelling mistakes and terrible English. Why do so many native English speakers not know the difference between their and they're? It's so simple but I still see so many instances of people messing them up. I mean, there are many slangs in a language and styles of speaking can be different. But, shouldn't people at least know the grammar well?
Btw, I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to be rude. Like, it's your language. You know it better than anyone else. Just saying to avoid any kind of misunderstandings.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do so many native English speakers not know the difference between their and they're?
I wouldn't judge others based upon typos if I were you. You don't know why the error was made; for all you know it was nothing more than a slip of the hand whilst typing. It's such a sad state of affairs when people judge others for making spelling mistakes online.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
... This was just one example. I mean, you can say that about the whole thread too. "It 'seems' like foreigners speak better English" is the things that's going on here. They're also making that judgment from somewhere, aren't they? I'm sorry I even made that post because of course, people will always misunderstand me.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wouldn't judge others based upon typos if I were you. You don't know why the error was made; for all you know it was nothing more than a slip of the hand whilst typing. It's such a sad state of affairs when people judge others for making spelling mistakes online.
In fairness, there's a difference between actively judging people for making such mistakes, and asking in general why the correct distinction isn't more common knowledge than it is.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well. Looks like I need to redo the entire battle system in order to have the things I want in it. Also I'd like to say that console.log() is the greatest function in Javascript XD.
I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdfd