Why does it sometimes think a music file doesn't exist before playing it anyway?

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Strange behaviour...

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can you expand upon what you mean a bit?

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How? That's pretty much it, gives the option to 'retry' and plays it then. I'm wondering whether it's due to being in a ZIP which this site said can be used, which slows down its loading...

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This whole thread is confusing. What plugins are you using that might be causing this?
1 - The default engine does not handle assets that are in zip archives, only the regular files placed in the appropriate directory. The documentation for MZ doesn't claim otherwise, and I'm not seeing anything with a Google search - where did you see this site say they can be used?

2 - The default engine (unless they've changed error handling since MV) does not give any retry option if it fails to find an asset.

So your "strange behavior" appears to be caused by plugins, and you'll need to examine them and tell us what you're using if you want help with it.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Only plugins I use are EventsMoveCore and one for a boat, which I assume are unrelated to this... indiexpo says zips can be used, and they seem they can mostly, but this happens, sometimes with more severity than before (few seconds of the music, then "failed to load", repeat, and yeah, there's a retry button).

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't explain your situation very well - indiexpo appears to be a completely different Web site, so you didn't actually see things about using zip files on here? I still see absolutely nothing about this no matter what terms I search for, so you'll need to provide some links to what you're talking about.

Sorry, there's not enough information here for me to try to help you. Other than...just don't zip the sound assets?

If this is a separate site that you're using to host your game and play it via a Web interface, that really has zero things to do with RPG Maker at that point, that's on how the other site is processing and running the game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
few seconds of the music, then "failed to load", repeat, and yeah, there's a retry button

Two possibilities:

"failed to load" from the internet is different than the same error from your local computer.
Because from the internet it can be that the download was interrupted - there is a reason why streaming formats are different files than local music files, exactly to reduce the chance of a internet disruption to stop a music or video file.

And again - as explained already - if the filename is wrong, some programs will refuse to load until the windows override calls in and forces them to load the wrong filename.
Abc.mp4 and abc.mp4 are two different files, and if you try to hear abc.mp4 when only Abc.mp4 is uploaded, then a lot of programs will present a load error. Until Windows forces them to try loading the wrong file named Abc.mp4.

And no, windows does not rename files automatically, any rename has to be triggered by a user.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't think names are a problem as I've specified these custom ogg files myself, so it could only be a streaming problem? If so I assume I can't do much about that...

The site says "*For HTML5/Flash/WebGL Games: Upload a ZIP file containing your game. There must be an index.html file in the ZIP." I guess I could try without a zip...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The site says "*For HTML5/Flash/WebGL Games: Upload a ZIP file containing your game. There must be an index.html file in the ZIP." I guess I could try without a zip...
Okay! It's taken 4 posts, but you have finally explained your situation.

1 - This has nothing to do with RPG Maker. You're using a third-party site to stream your game, which is not how they are normally played. Any service issues (such as audio not streaming fast enough to load during play) should be directed to the customer support of that Web site.

2 - You need to understand, at a basic computer use level, what's going on. You are putting your game into a zip archive so that you can send it as one file (that's a bit smaller) instead of trying to send someone else many files and saying "this should be in that directory and that one goes there..."
Your game is not being played out of that zip archive. The Web site you're sending it to is unpacking it into a directory on their server, then configuring whatever Web interface they have to let other people play it through the site. You cannot upload your game to them without it being zipped, but it also is an incorrect perception to think the sound is somehow being loaded out of the zip file.

When you need to ask for help, please try to be more thoughtful about it. You're making lots of posts with short sentences that don't give us the information we need to help you, unless we're able to read your mind. And some of what you type is just incorrect (your second post talks about the music being in a zip, which "this site" said you could do - nothing on this site gave you those instructions).

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Should've said "some site"...

EDIT Actually, this happens while playtesting too, although to a much lesser degree, and it seems more likely to if the starting position is in a specific place and not another...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Today's my first login since Jan 2020. Time sure flies. Sorry to everyone's messages i missed.
It's satisfying to master the usage of a hard plugin, then making it do what you want. ( o w o)!!
I'll be redesigning some of the main characters from my many wip stories :kaohi:
gWBWMzT.jpg

Starting with the (chronologically) first of them, Cedric!
gotta love when a plugin you thought had nothing to do with why something else wasn't working winds up being the issue...
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th September 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackYonder