Why don't you sell your game? How can I change your mind?

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
http://www.kickstart...ncient-dystopia

It personally makes sick that something where he didn't even rename the classes or items, weapons etc makes $5000 (so far)
He hasn't 'made' anything yet. Unless he tries to take the money and run, which somehow I don't see happening. A lot of that will go to physical media and promotional items. If anything, you should be encouraged. People are willing to pay some money for a game that will give them 30-40 hours of entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.

I read the link: it's accurate, the screenshots are nice and clean, it's got a picture of the battle system. It's going to be up to his story and his implementation of his ideas - like the 'growing' home town - that decides whether or not it's ultimately successful.

If it makes you feel better, when Bioware made Knights of the Old Republic, they didn't rename the classes either (at least not internally). Jedi are wizards and sorcerers, scouts are rangers, etc... The engine was lifted lock, stock, and barrel from Neverwinter Nights. Didn't stop it from being a great game (one of the greatest, actually).

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lot of that will go to physical media and promotional items. If anything, you should be encouraged. People are willing to pay some money for a game that will give them 30-40 hours of entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.
Physical Media. Time for MATH!

A quick look on amazon.com I can get a CD for $0.26 and a jewel case for also $0.26. He won't ship internationally, so for internal postage I'm told $3 probably less. Meaning a grand total of $3.52 per physical copy.

Currently everyone above $95 gets a T-Shirt (if they are in the us) at max that's 12 T-shirts. A quick look and assuming max size $25 each. Plus postage and packaging.

Right let's add this all up:

12 T-shirts: $336

60 ($150 reward tier) physical copies: $211.2

51 (other levels) physical copies: $179.52

Total: $726.72

Currently it's at: $5,050

Current Profit: $4323.28

And ok he might spend some of that on things like a domain for his game but he's making a very good profit. Oh I forgot the vinayl stickers I could get the 57 done for $15.

I read the link: it's accurate, the screenshots are nice and clean, it's got a picture of the battle system. It's going to be up to his story and his implementation of his ideas - like the 'growing' home town - that decides whether or not it's ultimately successful.
Ok you admit it could be bad but his screenshots include examples of furniture on water tiles...

If it makes you feel better, when Bioware made Knights of the Old Republic, they didn't rename the classes either (at least not internally). Jedi are wizards and sorcerers, scouts are rangers, etc... The engine was lifted lock, stock, and barrel from Neverwinter Nights. Didn't stop it from being a great game (one of the greatest, actually).
But he has no intention of changing them, "Hundreds of weapons and armor, all sorted into different categories. Over a hundred special skills and 10 different classes to wield them. The classes include Soldier, Monk, Paladin, Spellblade, Samurai, Archer, Thief, Priestess, Witch, Sage." So externally they are the same.

Also comparing RPG Maker games to AAA games is just daft.

TheCastle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some of the things that he promises come off as a bit odd. Like if you donate 100 you can request pretty much anything you want... XD

Key word here.. "Request"

In the end though I hope the kid makes a buck off this and continues to do more in the future. When I was his age I would have killed for a chance to make money off of my Doom and Quake maps. Those were arguably less work than producing an entire RPG even when they were at the most technical.

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Current Profit: $4323.28
Your profit figure leaves a lot out, but let's go with it. Let's even round it up to $4500 (he'll probably get a few more supporters, plus some actual sales).

Take that number and divide it by the number of hours you think it took him to make the entire game - from design to final testing. Then you can decide on whether or not he's getting a decent payday or not. I don't get where the 'make me sick' comes from. He's being honest, making a game that should be enjoyable to the people who play it, and making some money while doing it. The American Way.

Most people won't know what engine he's using and even fewer will care. The game is what matters, not the tools that made it.

TheCastle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your profit figure leaves a lot out, but let's go with it. Let's even round it up to $4500 (he'll probably get a few more supporters, plus some actual sales).

Take that number and divide it by the number of hours you think it took him to make the entire game - from design to final testing. Then you can decide on whether or not he's getting a decent payday or not. I don't get where the 'make me sick' comes from. He's being honest, making a game that should be enjoyable to the people who play it, and making some money while doing it. The American Way.

Most people won't know what engine he's using and even fewer will care. The game is what matters, not the tools that made it.
At the age of 16 a couple hundred bucks might feel like a ton of money but in all honesty the only thing he will really gain from the project is experience in what it would take to finish the product. $4500 for a year long project is slavery and he is his own slave. XD

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I didn't sell anything first because I was not confident enough with my projects (and I guess I was right not to be) and secondly because I was stuck in the french making milieu which , like any french stuff in fact , frowns upon you as soon as you want some money in exchange of your work. In such an environment , the idea that it could sell somewhere else didn't even reach my brain.

Then I found out Aldorlea's website and found out that it was actually possible. That's why I'm translating my game in english which finally is a real blessing as it makes me learn much new vocabulary and find out some slight flaws in dialogs, now corrected for hopefully the best.

I'm now planning to make my next game a commercial one and besides it work on releasing educative games for my adoptive country, namely Indonesia. Some of this stuff gonna be free though, as it's more about concern on the utterly low quality of foreign language teaching there (imagine that there are english teachers teaching that the plural of "foot" is "foots" and you will have an idea of what I'm talking about -_-).

Last edited by a moderator:

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Then I found out Aldorlea's website and found out that it was actually possible.
I'm SO happy it has inspired you to try. ;)

This is also why my community exists, to show aspiring devs that it's worth to step up for your passion and give it a solid try.

That's why I'm translating my game in english which finally is a real blessing as it makes me learn much new vocabulary and find out some slight flaws in dialogs, now corrected for hopefully the best.
Good luck. It's VERY hard to write in a language that isn't yours.

Adam Ferrell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan on putting too much work into my games to allow them to be free. I don't assume that anyone will want to pay for my game though.

Solution? Well I am hoping to start my own website where I host all my games for free on the implications that if you enjoyed one game then you'll donate and revisit the website. Worst case scenario is that nobody donates and I end up making at least a couple bucks from my distracting "Local Singles are Waiting" ads sprinkled about my webpage.

The last part was a joke of course. :p

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, don't count on people donating just because they like it. The reality is, if you give them the option of getting it for free, the vast majority will take it for free. Only a VERY small number will give you a donation.

If it's a good game, don't assume it isn't going to sell. There ARE a lot of people out there who will be happy to pay for a game they can enjoy. You just have to find them (and we've provided help in that endeavor already). Go ahead - ASSUME people WILL want to pay for your game. Stop doubting yourself.

Adam Ferrell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ASSUME people WILL want to pay for your game. Stop doubting yourself.
Great advice! Thank you. Another big thing about donations is that I never had a paypal account until yesterday when I bought resource packs. The incentive to create a paypal account just to donate to someone was pretty low :p

Thanks again for the motivation! These forums are so helpful on many different aspects of rpgm development.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me whine a bit, skip if you don't want to be bored.

*whine mode-ON* I made quite a numbers of RPGs with RM and give out most of them free, because problem is "Monetization". Two decades of life in a third-world nation which has been isolated and sanctioned rendered me useless, effectively, in Monetization. We cannot use Paypal, VISA, mastercard or any other credit cards. If I tried to access to e-commerce site like BMT micro or pilmus, the moment they realized the country of my origin, they would ban me and mail me with a ridiculous reason of why I couldn't access to their site, etc.*whine mode-OFF*

^ Twas until 2 months ago. Now, our country is freer then ever and changing. We can now finally access to the things we had been denied for YEARS. I need to learn about how the e-commerce thingies work from the scratch. After this, I'm going to sell my game to the world when it's finished (which I'd been longing for nearly a decade).

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Which country are you talking about?? Oo

On the plus side, if your country's currency is weak against the dollar, it means you don't have to sell as many copies to make a living. :)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

On the plus side, if your country's currency is weak against the dollar, it means you don't have to sell as many copies to make a living. :)
It's a small south-east Asian country called Burma (formerly Myanmar) .___.

Yep, that's one of the many reasons that made me want to sell my game. I could made a decent living. I read a kid made a project on kickstarter with imaginary RM game and get 5000$ which is more than 3 times (in most cases, 4 times) more than the amount of annual earning of a typical working person in my country. Envy... XD

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I read a kid made a project on kickstarter with imaginary RM game and get 5000$ which is more than 3 times (in most cases, 4 times) more than the amount of annual earning of a typical working person in my country. Envy... XD
Don't envy him though. you can't start a Kickstarter project if you are outside of the US. Kickstarter has no problem asking money to the world apparently but when you want to MAKE money through it, it is restricted to just the USA. <_<

You wish more foreign backers would be aware of this "little" detail.

That said, it's much better to be a decent developer and try to actually sell a real game, so my advice is to focus on that. :lol:

Lars Ulrika

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A

Indeed, in Indonesia where I live , I will have to sell 2 or 3 times less games than if I was in France in order to live more than comfortably compared to standards here.

Someone from a country with low salary and prices has even more reasons to go commercial because you won't target your country, but rich countries where in the end you will maybe have to sell 10 or 15 games a month only to get the equivalent of the average salary in your country!

I live in Indonesia and that's also one of the reasons I decided to try my luck. I just think I would be a fool not to try this ^^

Here is my calculation about Indonesia :

Average salary (to live rather correctly) : 200 / 300 dollars a month.

Average price of a game : between 10 and 20 dollars.

Just make the calculation.

After of course, you have the taxes that will take a bit of your income but it's still something to try.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Yes "poorer" countries are a blessing for indie devs all over the world. Selling a measly amount of copies each month can be enough in some cases. :p

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's really encouraging to be here , thanks :)

I'll post about my game and it's test-play demo as soon as I polished it (need serious polishing with the language). It's about 20% finished, me and my artist had been working for months already. Please try it out when I do to see if it's fit to be a commercial game.

Lars Ulrika

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just inform me when it's done and I sure will give it a try ;)

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Don't envy him though. you can't start a Kickstarter project if you are outside of the US. Kickstarter has no problem asking money to the world apparently but when you want to MAKE money through it, it is restricted to just the USA. <_<

You wish more foreign backers would be aware of this "little" detail.

That said, it's much better to be a decent developer and try to actually sell a real game, so my advice is to focus on that. :lol:
Actually you can.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cities/helsinki-fin

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Nope, you need at least one person living in the US as part of your team. Read their terms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just imagine, MZ got released while still on summer sale and they decided to discount their game. lol.
Now that I found an accessible composing software, all the melodies that only lived inside my head so far can come to life. I LOVE this.
Akemi14 wrote on Archeia's profile.
I'm sorry about my mistake of not messaging you about posting in Games in Development Rules and Guidelines. I'm still new on this forum but using RPG Maker for 3 years. Well it is in English language. Well, I just want to explained about the game and show them the demo. I promised, there is no inappropriate contain because I don't like that. What should I do?
Magic numbers are the devil.
So I was explaining to someone today that Magic (the Gathering) has advertised itself as a Trading Card Game (TCG) and a Collectable Card Game (CCG), but never a playing card game. Playing cards are what they use for stuff like Poker or Black Jack. So by playing Magic with the cards, they were in fact doing it wrong, and me trading the cards is a correct usage. :popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nristiclindsey