LightAme

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I noticed something. The default RM facesets and all other RM graphics uses flat colouring instead of soft shading. Why is it so? Is it because the quality drops when it is squeezed into RM's small screen resolution? Or it has something to do with lagging the game? Or other reasons?

I used some soft shading graphics in my test game but... seems fine to me  :|  Did I missed something? I prefer soft shade pastel graphics in my game.

I was planning to release free graphic resource for NPC's and battle backgrounds but I'm stuck with it. Before I proceed I wanted to maximise the quality of the art first. :D  

Thanks~

If you're confused on what I'm asking, here are some samples:

Flat Shading

xue_yu_min_profile_by_freezingfeathers-d9k89je.jpg

Soft Shading

punchi___seirei_series_adoptables__2__open__by_freezingfeathers-d9nnvel.gif

Evil_Seal

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
It shouldn't be a problem. I think they want it to have an "anime" look. Mixing different shading styles tend to look weird, that's probably why they just keep to one type of shading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Just a matter of preference.

In my case, i don't like soft shading for RM games because they look too much off from everything else.

LightAme

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Evil_Seal

@Victor Sant

Oh I see, so it doesn't have anything to do with lagging the entire game. Thanks. ^^

I wanted to create a distinct graphic style game. Glad it doesn't have technical issues. :D  

Crystal-Mint

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's likely because if you use more complex soft shading, most of the detail would be lost once it was shrunk down. It's a lot faster to simply cell shade instead ^^

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer cel shading to airbrushing for RPG Maker because the resolutions the end product needs to be displayed at are very small so you don't have many pixels to work with.  Cel shading provides very clear crisp, definitive edges whereas airbrushing doesn't.  That makes a big difference as, especially in games, small obects need to be easy to identify and read.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you just use plain soft shading everything looks wishy washy, or washed out. I like artworks which use both. Wokada use a mix of both, Stanley Lau does, which is more in the direction of realism, if something is rather close to a surface and throws a shadow on it, it would be a hard shadow. (Or if the object is rather close at the light source). The further the object is away, the softer the shadow will be. Beginners often use plain soft shadows and the whole piece loose a lot of impact, because of that habit. 

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
just for stop you lol..

this not flat shading but "hard cell" shading

and soft cell shading

flat is refered as the flat color without any shading on it.

the reason of hard-cell shading in rm game? simple  fast to do and cost less.

Soft shading require more complex shading and knowledge and not always generally fit the RM feelings.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
the reason of hard-cell shading in rm game? simple  fast to do and cost less.

Ouch. Harsh.

It's just a matter of choice. There can be slow cell shading artists and fast soft shading artists. Time, cost, and skill is really going to depend on the artist. Soft shading doesn't take more knowledge; it takes the same understanding of a light source, colour choice, shadows, reflections, whatever.

personally, I like the crisper look of cell shading better and find soft shading can get muddy when shrunk down to RM sizes. But then my opinion is jaded as I like cell better overall. You can use whichever you think matches your game more! :)  

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ouch. Harsh.

It's just a matter of choice. There can be slow cell shading artists and fast soft shading artists. Time, cost, and skill is really going to depend on the artist. Soft shading doesn't take more knowledge; it takes the same understanding of a light source, colour choice, shadows, reflections, whatever.

personally, I like the crisper look of cell shading better and find soft shading can get muddy when shrunk down to RM sizes. But then my opinion is jaded as I like cell better overall. You can use whichever you think matches your game more! :)  

pls don't misunderstand me maki XD

I mean that hard cell shading are kinda more simplistic than soft shading.

so no I didn't said this was less good than soft cell because I know hard cell artist who do awesome job even more better than many soft-cell artist

anyway's let's not extend on this before people think I insult something >_>"

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Makio. I feel the same way about hard cell shading in a lot of game art; seems to translate very well when shrunk down.  Still totally love soft shading, but a +1 in agreement on that observation. It's definitely a matter of choice and relies on a lot of other aesthetic choices like the tiles used, desired color palette, and even overall themes of the game.

@nio kasgami Hard vs Easy is still pretty subjective though. There are a lot of reasons why someone might find one easier or more forgiving than the other. I struggle with straight lines and hard edges so most of my art work is very painterly if I don't use the pen tool like it's going out of style.

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
now now I feel as a rear end in a top hat >_>

I didn't meant that hardcell was less good 

I just meant it's was simplier.

and yes hardcell is a matter of choice...I honestly prefer hard cell in rm game since they give a better feeling than soft-cell.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm glad I'm sticking to my guns on having fighting game mechanics in my game, from what I've read, it's not for everyone. but for the most part, I've made it so you don't have to use them motion inputs for attacks if you don't want to.
And my project's just entered the Lunar New Year Sale 2022... Let's see if it reaches it's goal of $ 7,77.
Ohmygoodness I played Dicey Dungeons for the first time last night. Gave me SO MANY IDEAS for how to fix Heidi.
d757 going live today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romulus