Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Basically, without going into too many details on how I feel about media and whatnot, I left because I do not relate to people here. A lot of the RPGs that get praised around here are games I honestly absolutely hate. I don't like Star Ocean. I don't like Lost Odyssey. I don't like MOST Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Tales of games. Etc.

The RPGs I generally like are monster collectors, but most people here do not seem to like monster collectors. I like monster collectors so much because in those games the protagonist can be almost anything instead of just being humans/human look-alikes and nothing else. And honestly, no, my opinion on Humans=good/everything else=bad stories and all-human character rosters in a high fantasy world has not improved. In fact, I honestly hate that cliche more than ever. But people love games with that cliche. People can ignore that cliche. I just can't. There are millions of creatures you could possibly take inspiration from for a protagonist character, and I can understand SOME of the playable characters being human for those that want familiarity and relatability, but ALL of them? Alienating people that would just rather have something cool and badass, unique and creative or cute and adorable than a "relatable" human that I can almost never relate to?

Also, I find it a little hypocritical that people criticized monster collectors for "animal slavery/abuse" but are fine with actually going out and killing animals in other RPGs. In Monster collectors, the animals usually don't die. In addition, I don't see them as slaves. I see them more as companions and protectors. And honestly, I tend to have more sympathy for that cute chubby tapir or dragon I raised from an egg in a monster collector than just about anyone from Genshin Impact or Tales Of or such. I think part of it is because these characters are not real. I tend to care more about whether the character is fun to watch, look at and play with rather than whether they are "relatable." But no one else thinks that way. AAA game companies just keep making the same all-human character rosters and, honestly, I'm just done. I'm done supporting that. Why should I buy Tales of Arise when I do not like any of its characters or itssetting or story when I can get the first two chapters of Deltarune, which has a more interesting setting and cast, for free?

A big reason I left is because, on some days oh, I am so frustrated by this that it's all I can think about. Some days, it's all I want to talk about. It's not something I can get over. I will always be a cliche that I do not like, and it will continue to bother me until there is a massive change. It almost feels like media is trying at least, but it's still those kind of games that dominate. I also left because people generally don't want to show me the good side of things, they just want to change my opinions. They just want to keep shoving down my throat why it absolutely has to be this way. Everywhere I let out my frustration on that kind of media, even when I'm calm and rational about it, that's all that ever happens: people telling me it HAS to be that way and get used to it. And I would love to talk about my favorite monster collectors here, but no one likes Monster collectors here.

The only reason I came back is because I decided to go back to that fatfur RPG I was working on, and I needed help. I might even be coming back here in the future if I need more help. But for the most part, I just don't want to have an easy time interacting with people or relating to people.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yo, welcome back! I totally don't know you, but jus' based on yo rant, I think you awesome! :wub And you totally make me wanna make a non-anthrocentric game. Probably about gulls. :kaoluv:

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think ultimately the concepts people use for AAA titles are based more around what they feel the consumer base will be. As an example and contrary to what some may think, monster collectors have a MASSIVE fan base, but there are just as many fan bases for other genres featuring human characters, and those people have money to spend. These companies create what they think will sell, because ultimately, it is a business.

What is great about indie development though, is you have content creators pushing more of what they love. While monetary gain is obviously always on everyone's mind, it feels like there is more freedom to move, and explore what first brought you to a love of gaming in the first place. It is unfortunate that you felt outcast enough in your own preferences to feel you needed to leave such a wonderful community, but I get it. Honestly though, I think if you looked hard enough around here, you'd find that more people share your passion for monster collectors than you realize. I'd recommned starting a forum conversation about exactly that, and just see what happens. Maybe a title like, "I love monster collector games! What are your favorites?" :D Something along those lines, anyway.

Glad you've come back. Maybe give people more of a chance. Not everyone will enjoy the same things you do, and that doesn't necessarily mean the market needs to change. It just means that if you want to see more of what you love, you might need to be the change. I'm looking forward to what you do with your project.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I think ultimately the concepts people use for AAA titles are based more around what they feel the consumer base will be. As an example and contrary to what some may think, monster collectors have a MASSIVE fan base, but there are just as many fan bases for other genres featuring human characters, and those people have money to spend. These companies create what they think will sell, because ultimately, it is a business.

What is great about indie development though, is you have content creators pushing more of what they love. While monetary gain is obviously always on everyone's mind, it feels like there is more freedom to move, and explore what first brought you to a love of gaming in the first place. It is unfortunate that you felt outcast enough in your own preferences to feel you needed to leave such a wonderful community, but I get it. Honestly though, I think if you looked hard enough around here, you'd find that more people share your passion for monster collectors than you realize. I'd recommned starting a forum conversation about exactly that, and just see what happens. Maybe a title like, "I love monster collector games! What are your favorites?" :D Something along those lines, anyway.

Glad you've come back. Maybe give people more of a chance. Not everyone will enjoy the same things you do, and that doesn't necessarily mean the market needs to change. It just means that if you want to see more of what you love, you might need to be the change. I'm looking forward to what you do with your project.

Thanks. I agree that indie gaming is a little better, but even there the cliche is common. Still, I can't help but admire the fact that the creators of the Bloodstained franchise did eventually add a non-human character to their game. I don't get have Curse of the Moon 2, but it's a game I do want to check out one day, especially if Hachi the mech-riding Corgi is fun to play as. That's just one example, but another example is Yooka-Laylee. The first game in that franchise flopped, but it was nice to see the creators of that game pick themselves up and try again. Now Yooka-Laylee are indie-gaming icons, appearing as guest characters in all sorts of games, including TWO party fighters (Brallout and another who's name escapes me) as well as strikers in the upcoming Jitsu Squad.

Even in Triple A gaming, it isn't as bad as it used to be. Like, Monster Hunter, as far as having good guys besides humans, has been taking steps in the right direction to show that nature and creatures are more valuable than an earlier games, plus there are even a couple of monster collectors in that franchise. I'm also a little tickled pink that the PS4 store actually highlighted Forged in Shadow Torch, a furry Metroidvania with a realistic artstyle. While that game has some issues, the gameplay itself is actually pretty good, and I can forgive some of the things because most of my problems with the game don't affect the actual gameplay. Plus, I love how tongue-in-cheek the game is about how furry it is (Furtizens. Fursos. Fur for all, all for fur. XD). The fact that it was actually highlighted on the PS4 store, and seems to have gotten some okay reviews, does make me happy, even if the game isn't perfect. Also Rayton's pretty boss.

Sure, I could ask about monster collectors and See who responds.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Welcome back mortal! *hugs sentient being*

Now translate your anger into teh gam mak! Power to the fatfur! Down with the medias that make you hate the medias! Or is it embrace them? I do not know! Praise be.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hear you on the hypocrisy behind people getting offended over something in one game...while promoting another thing along the same lines. It's okay for people to have opinion on how games should be but it annoys me when they're inconsistent. Such is real life too though.

As for having less common interests in game types, I'm curious to see what you come up with. Although, I enjoy some cliche (nostalgia for me), I like seeing new stuff too. I bet there are others who prefer less cliche, too, but you'll probably need to draw them out. Don't be afraid to make posts with the topics you like. It might take awhile but keep trying!

Also, welcome back! :)

Last edited:

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I hate Star Ocean too, but I made an honest effort to like it.

I have been in and out of this community since at least 2005, long before this website existed or this franchise of products was even legally available in English. I have tried to quit/retire many times, but it just never seems to take.

The idea of moralizing anything you do to or with imaginary fictional creatures made of bits and pixels that do not actually exist or think or feel is patently ridiculous to me no matter what angle you come at it from.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I hear you on the hypocrisy behind people getting offended over something in one game...while promoting another thing that is the along the same lines. It's okay for people to have opinion on how games should be but it annoys me when they're inconsistent. Such is real life too though.

As for having less common interests in game types, I'm curious to see what you come up with. Although, I enjoy some cliche (nostalgia for me), I like seeing new stuff too. I bet there are others who prefer less cliche, too, but you'll probably need to draw them out. Don't be afraid to make posts with the topics you like. It might take awhile but keep trying!

Also, welcome back! :)
Honestly, after my current endeavor, part of me wants to make an RPG starring a four-headed monster. At first it was just going to be a bird, but now I want it to be a monster with different creatures for heads. I want at least one of the heads to be a bird, I want another one to be a giraffe, and I'm not sure what the other two heads are, and I'm not even sure what I want this creature to look like.

Last edited:

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wouldn't it be hilarious if two of the heads didn't get along? :LZSrasp:

Joking aside, maybe one could be a creature that is often undertimated? I hope you'll share about your creature once you figure out what works for your project.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!
Big Google Warning Today for chrome users - apparently some kind of security threat has happened and everyone is being advised to update their Chrome browser ASAP by going to settings and/or "About Google Chrome", to update their browser version to a new one just released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snyrid