Why I'm dropping GameJolt support and why you should too

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Tuomo L, Jul 25, 2017.

?

Are you going to release your commercial game on Game Jolt?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Cool! And how are sales going with each game?

2. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a demo so it's free - people have donated on itch.io though which is nice.

hp4000 likes this.
  3. thephoenix112

thephoenix112 Veteran Veteran

I think a major issue as well is how much RPG maker games look like almost every other RPG maker game. Gamejolt has worked for a few people that can really go out of their way to make something look great but without that, you're pouring a glass of water into a pool. Sure, it was YOUR glass of water but it wont stand out from the rest.

inazumathelightning and hp4000 like this.
  4. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What are some of the RPG Maker games that have "worked out?" i'd like to play some of them!

5. thephoenix112

thephoenix112 Veteran Veteran

It wasn't RPG Maker specifically, more that it was indie games in general that Gamejolt assisted. They're much more likely to promote games that have unique looks to them. Just visit their front page and look at their featured content.

6. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I never tried gamejolt or itch.io, but from receptions and sale values, it seems that steam is still one of the better places to release commercial RPG maker games.

7. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would honestly use itch.io over Steam for game hosting right now, especially those of us who simply can't afford the $100+ Steam Direct fee. Heck, I have to help my dad pay for my now-deceased mother's hospital bills from her chemo for breast cancer out of my monthly SSI check, which I receive due to my mix of Alzheimer's and Asperger's (probably spelled that wrong) which prevent me from physically working at normal paying jobs due to that combo making me a "liability" (reminder I have all this to worry about and I'm not even 30 yet- GG, life, GG) and is the reason I took up RPG making as a "unofficial" profession, where these things can't hold me back. This is the main reason why I can't afford to pay the Steam Direct fee. What little out of my SSI checks I can use for myself I have been putting towards a new, more gaming oriented computer- the two laptops I use for RPG making are just hand me down Windows 7 toasters from the pre-2005 era that are on their last legs.

But enough about my sob story of a personal life- I welcome itch.io (I hear GJ's userbase isn't that firiendly anyway, so it can go burn in a dumpster along with the Metal Saga of the Beyblade anime.) as the poor man's Steam.

Jhale M. and Canini like this.
  8. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My experience has been that the $100 for Steam access is infinitely worth it. The platform is simply too massive to avoid to allow yourself to be intimidated by the $100 Steam Direct Fee. If there is no other way to borrow/convince someone/work a side job for that extra money, then in my opinion the first $100 you get from Itch.io goes to pay the Steam Direct Fee and you get on there ASAP.

Matseb2611 and FluffexStudios like this.
  9. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, even with the recent market saturation and poor algorithm, Steam is still worth selling on for that $100 entry fee, because if your game is even half-decent, it will likely make it all back within a month or two. And if the quality is very good and/or you market it well, you'll make it back and some profit within that first month.

10. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Interesting discussion, this.
    I had always thought that if/when I put together something commercially viable I would avoid Steam as to not feed the monopoly. I also do not like where Valve is heading as a company. That said, if all of the other options are inferior...
    Gamejolt actually reminds me a bit of a online hiring/portfolio and project showcase I used to work for. I won´t mention the name here. I used to work in the graphical web design business and the biggest problem was that the only way to get featured was to update your project, so people kept spamming and larger, more substantional updates kept getting disregarded.

11. Bricabrac

Bricabrac The Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not that other options are "inferior" - the sad truth is that many people still prefer to buy their games on Steam because of habit. They like having an organized library of games.

itch.io and Gamejolt are both free, and on itch you can give buyers a Steam Key when they buy the game there. That way you get more profits, and the players get to keep the game on their favourite platform! It's also easier to get noticed on smaller platforms, especially if you have zero marketing budget.
    I'd suggest you to simply take advantage of all the platforms you can and use them how you see them fit!

Jhale M. likes this.
  12. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It honestly depends on your marketing IMO. But here's what I got with minimum activity and playing some games from other people:
    upload_2018-3-7_22-31-46.png
    upload_2018-3-7_22-31-54.png

I did get some revenue (I'm surprised analytics doesn't show it). Cirno had a good production time until it's in permanent hiatus and Substar was just drop it in and somehow it got some downloads.

But Steam is the biggest PC platform right now and it would be crazy not to post there too.

13. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Again, as I said; equal marketing and equal levels. Itchio was okay, but it seemed I was totally lost into void with GameJolt, with the only way to get exposure would be to have offsite marketing campaigns but that would bring more exposure to anything, no reason to waste it on GJ when you could do it on Steam or Android app store or whatever your favorite store is.

Jhale M. likes this.
  14. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love buying stuff from GOG.

15. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How soon does your game appear on steam after submitting the $100 dollar fee and your game?

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hp4000 This thread is about using, or not using, Gamejolt. Please do not hijack it with an unrelated questions. You might like to look at this thread which contains the answer to your question.

hp4000 likes this.
  17. RoseofCrimson

RoseofCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ... It has to do with the quality of your product and not the store itself. People don't want half-assed product especially if its for sell in an already over saturated market.

-Good- games do fine in indie markets, while those that are just pushed into there just because it's playable does not. You'll have to start taking things seriously if you want to compete in this market. It is our job to get a following, our job to promote our brand, our job to ensure that we're successful... which doesn't happen when you click a few buttons in an entry level engine and hang it on a fridge.

Arin likes this.
  18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This particular game was award winning first place winner in international contest with money prize, game which pushed the engine to its absolute limits. So by your logic, this game should have been top seller on Game Jolt since quality of the game is all that matters, right?

Game Jolt has no visibility rounds or anything, you literally are buried just as much as in Steam with fraction of the userbase and without anything from Game Jolt to help bring more visibility to your game. My game was like on page 15 on Game Jolt with absolute no way to bring it to forefront unlike in Steam.

Thanks for telling me how to do my job and assuming that I only click few buttons and call it a day.

My point literally was that you do exact same work on Game Jolt as on Steam for fraction of the payoff and with less tools at your disposal from the site's side to help give your game visibility.

And no, your game will not do fine just because it's "good" that is false assumption. Making it big in the indie market is harder now than ever and you'll need all the exposure you possibly can get so your game doesn't get lost into the sea of new games. I know, because selling games is my literal livelihood.

19. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I dont really have a commercial game but I do have a game in Gamejolt which has been there for years now.. and yeah even if you do spend effort to market in there it still gets lost somehow unless maybe you spend a whole lot for more marketing. Also I think right now, most people are more used to just getting things on steam that if your game isnt there, they wont bother getting it.

Depending on the place too, getting steam wallet funds might be way easier than having a credit card which is the only way to buy in some portals (or PayPal which also needs a CC or a bank account), which again makes steam the preferred marketplace. Like in our country for example, most ordinary people dont use credit cards or even have bank accounts (especially those not working yet) but you can buy digital steam wallet codes from various providers. I think it also helped that DotA 2 required steam which made a lot of people who only used to know DotA, learn that there are a whole lot of other games out there available to them.

So yeah, I do think spending effort and time in steam would be way better than spending those on GJ.

Tuomo L likes this.
  20. RoseofCrimson

RoseofCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you constantly think you're the best without putting any effort into your growth you'll always remain where you are, Tuomo.

There are many people here that have more views on Gamejolt. If you click their projects you'll see a quality difference between your stuff and theirs. On steam the result is the same... it makes no sense why someone would willingly cut their nose off to spite their face, by not having their work on as many portals as possible. There is a hidden bonus to doing that which is search engine optimization and by proxy youtube priority.

Surely, you must think before you act... lose the ego, man.

Arin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.