Why is my deployed game folder so much bigger than my game project folder?

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My game's project folder is 65MB. When I output it for Windows, it suddenly becomes 135MB. (File > Deployment > Windows)

That's a HUGE difference! Is this because of the created .exe file and DLLs or something else - or am I doing something wrong?

My www folder is 56MB, my locales folder <1MB, game.exe is 45MB, and various DLLs total to 35MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, the desktop client comes in with a bit of a size this time around, but that's because it's a portable, stripped down version of Chrome 41.

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, the desktop client comes in with a bit of a size this time around, but that's because it's a portable, stripped down version of Chrome 41.
I see, thanks for explaining! Is there anything I can do at all to reduce the size? Will it always be ~70MB extra forever? That's REALLY huge orz

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nope, not really, that's just the size of it.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That's pretty ridiculous.

They've even included something called "pdf.dll" which is chrome's PDF viewer, which comes in at 11 MB.

What am I doing to do with a PDF viewer? Or I guess they assumed we'll want to read PDF's in our game.

You can probably start by deleting that.

I hope we get a better desktop solution than just "run it in a browser!", or whatever they decided to package it with.

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can probably start by deleting that.

I hope we get a better desktop solution than just "run it in a browser!"
Thanks for the help - I agree! Last time I could get my games down to the bare minimum file size, 10mb even. Now it's +70MB no matter what I do? :T

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Does anyone know if it's really "stripped down" or if there's anything else I can remove to get the file size smaller? If it was a smaller more portable version, why are things like the pdf.dll even still inside? ;-;

Kinchen

Kween
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
You can reduce the file size by deleting graphics that you don't even use.

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can reduce the file size by deleting graphics that you don't even use.
I've done that already - my game folder is 65MB. It's now doubled in size due to the extra Chrome(?) stuff they add on when you deploy an RPG Maker MV game. Wondering now if there's any way to get rid of that extra 70MB!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
pyrogoth , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something, use the Edit button and add it to your last post.

In addition, please do not quote whole posts in your reply, it is unnecessary and makes scrolling lenghty, as well as slowing down the time it takes to load the page. If you want to make it clear who you are answering, use the convention

@ username

your reply here

If you want to reply to several people, just use that convention each time

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wondering now if there's any way to get rid of that extra 70MB!
The majority of it is game.exe and icutld.dat, which are both 100% required. I did try removing the pdf.dll file and d3d file, and they didn't crash the game at the title screen, which is the extent at which I tested it, but it may be because I have chrome on my computer already (for pdf.dll), and the d3d files is apparently some DirectX file that's included with windows 8.1 and up (but it's included with the game for windows vista, 7, and 8.0 users. If you want, you could probably get away with having that file separately for those OSes, but that's really a bit much to ask for 3MB.

Kinchen

Kween
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
@Zalerinian

I believe I found an application called MV Stripper

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Zalerinian

I believe I found an application called MV Stripper
Unfortunately that only helps with art assets, which the OP has already sorted out.

My 2¢ is that 70mb... isn't actually really that big of a deal these days (at least for desktop - mobile is a different matter!). Most indie games you download from Steam will weigh in at > 200mb, AAA titles are staring to weigh in at 20+ gigabytes. Yeah, it's bigger than the output we're used to with RPG Maker, but I don't think it's too much of an issue with the broadband speeds we have these days.

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Ultima2876 

that's true for most large indie games! I like to make minigames though, and making people download ~150MB just to play a ten-minute minigame is unattractive to me. ;-; and good point! Haven't tried exporting for mobile yet.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Ultima2876 

that's true for most large indie games! I like to make minigames though, and making people download ~150MB just to play a ten-minute minigame is unattractive to me. ;-; and good point! Haven't tried exporting for mobile yet.
If you upload your game to the Web, the web clients only download what they need, when they need it.  So that's a lot more efficient, if you want to make minigames.

But I agree that 130 MB isn't too large for a standalone game these days.

altorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
100+mb is a big project for a 10-minute game. i dont care about broadband speeds, but if i ever want to download a game via a website into my phone, 100mb is a lot if my mobile data is limited.

there must be a way to strip this thing down. why does the game.exe have a huge footprint if we're pulling data and assets separately in the www folder at runtime?

pyrogoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@whitesphere , that's a valid idea, but I do like to be able to distribute the game easily via executable file too! as tsukihime said, 'I hope we get a better desktop solution than just "run it in a browser!", or whatever they decided to package it with.'

@altorn, agreed, I'm not sure why the game.exe file is so large ;-; I hope there'll be a better solution orz haha

Scubidubi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I am using the trial version of mv with nothing added to it. all default tile sets. i made a simple room with some events to test it. when i packed it to show it to a friend, i checked the size of the output foler and it's 887mb big! how can i send that to a friend? i mean it only covers on room.

Scubidubi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
or is that mabe because of the trial? i read that i could check a box somewhere to only bundle used assets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:
Star Chart Idea - Just something I am working on.
My sister learned spanish the old fashioned way and saw my way of conjugating. I don't use the formal method and just wing it. I thought her heart might explode. Apparently, different words use different endings. Weird part is even though I never learned the difference, I still can tell when the endings "look wrong".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TastyBeer