why or how did you get in to RPG maker

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Doogerie, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Doogerie

Doogerie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me i had seen it aroud the web and on steam ect . I did not really think about it until i saw the high fanatsy pack I umed an arred about it for way too long. Then a few days ago I saw the new MV was coming out :) and i noticed that there was a Light version of Ace. It toook me 1/2 an hour to decide to get the new program for me i think it's how i got in to it.

what about you?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
    hp4000 and kaukusaki like this.
  2. DoctorMolotov

DoctorMolotov Adrenochrome... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I stumbled across VXAce somehow and was all like "holy crap this reminds me of old rpgs I used to play for SNES" and then discovered that it was relatively easy to use while messing with a 30 day trial, and ended up paying for it half way through.

Naturally, 2 days after I paid full price for it, they announced it as part of the steam sale for like 85% off lol >.<

Since then I have thoroughly enjoyed reading materials and messing around with it. I travel a lot so it helps when I have nothing to do on an airplane or in an airport lounge etc.

I also pre-ordered MV and can't wait for it to come out. Still undecided if I want to continue with my current project in Ace or port it all over to MV. Time will tell!

Niten Ichi Ryu and EternalShadow like this.
  3. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Googled "game creator" or something like that, saw RM, downloaded the trial. Fell in love very quickly.

And naturally, I like RPGs.

4. StarkinGyra

StarkinGyra Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I stumbled across it somewhere online. I remember the RPG Maker on the PlayStation and I very much enjoyed it then.

5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't remember how I found it. Probably via a forum or something.

6. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Saw the IGMC 2014 announcement, which tied in with a humble bundle where you could grab Ace for a dollar. Fell in love with the software and this community, never looked back! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
    Marsigne likes this.
  7. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was a veteran Starcraft and Warcraft 3 player and an active member on The Hive Workshop and Campaign Creations for a few years (they are modding communities for these two games), providing skins, toying with 3d models, making and playing maps and overall being helpful here and there. A few years later I discovered Kelarly's old VX games on his YT channel (Castle Oblivion, Feral Dreams and Passage of the Hollow Moon) that despite being technically dated and with flaws had very engrossing storylines with amazing characters. Then I started to get interested in the engine made to create these games, finally bought ACE 2 years ago and decided to register here.

Fun Facts:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko was on The Hive Workshop as well and he's the first person that I spoke with on this website.

zachfoss was following and playing Kelarly's games as well on Youtube.

Susan likes this.
  8. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmmm for me, I used Playstation RPG Maker back in the day (Fighter Maker, too! lol). I never finished a game with it, but I had a ton of fun making things. I also toyed around with the demo off and on for a long time, after I played a Final Fantasy fan game. Then sometime last year, I played a game called Barkley, about Charles Barkley, in the future with no basketball. It was just so silly but I loved that game a lot, and I decided I could do that. I tried a few other programs, but all way beyond my skill level at this stage, so I kept coming back here. I really dig the software, and have a lot of fun with it. Its funny to me, because while I love RPGs, my intentions are to never make an RPG.

9. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    A bunch of us came to it from the BattleOn forums... although I think I'm the last of that big group. Someone posted a link to it in 2004 - to RPG Maker 2000 - an illegal English translation of it anyway.

M.I.A. likes this.
  10. RogdagoR

RogdagoR Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Almost the same for me, at that time was just released RM 2K!

Also i play a lot D&D/Pathfinder/Exalted with friends and RM helped me with some DM stuff!

11. Malzir

Malzir Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Can't remember exactly how I found it but used the software since RM2K (Don Miguel version). I remember I used to make fake pokemon cards when I was younger and was into a forum community so I'm thinking it was possible I found it through that (with all the huge amount of Pokemon fan games).

Nimbus likes this.
  12. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i wanted to express my feelings and emotions through characters. i got into it via my sister

13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I saw a kid playing Aveyond.

14. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really liked the whole concept of being able to build your own world, I was attracted to the concept of ruby scripts because I also know ruby aside from javascript. I found some of the limitations scary but then I started parallax mapping :DDDDD

15. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was suggested to make my own game since I got invested in continuing characters' stories beyond their abandoned games. I waffled about getting for a few years, got the trial, then waited for a sale to buy the full version.

16. lPaladinl

lPaladinl Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think I saw an RPG maker for PS1 or PS2 one day. Never actually got to use that version for myself (until much later, after I had found PC RPG makers).

And I guess one day I decided to finally google for "Game Maker" stuff, realising I had interest in designing games as well as playing them. I believe I stumbled on RPG Maker 2000 just as 2003 was being released in the coming months. I recognised the Developer and Name so I figured it was worth a shot.

I was pretty on the edge about trying them too, mostly because of realising that they are primarily Japanese programs and I was unsure if they were even being translated properly enough for me to use them. But sure enough they worked well enough for me and I had a lot of fun back then just messing around, even if I never actually made a game with them. Just editing the stat sheets and testing things was enough to make me have fun.

And then since then I've kept an eye on them through the years, having seen it evolved from at least RPG Maker 2000 and onwards. I'm definitely excited thinking about how far they've come, both in terms of how the Engine it's self has changed, but also how the Western Marketing and Community has changed. There was a time when I would never have expected there to really be much of a Western Community because of how foreign some of the older versions appeared.

17. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I was a kid my mom took me to this game store (wasn't gamestop--I think it was a mom'n'pop game store) and I saw RPG Maker for the PS1 and was like omg can I have this!? And she bought it and then shortly after that I learned about RM2k or 2k3 and the rest is history. Been bumming around with it ever since!

Harold Ållaberg likes this.
  18. Reavenator

Reavenator Member Veteran

Back when I was in middle school, my friend introduced me to Spore galactic adventures. I played around with the expansion quite a bit, until I got bored from it's limitations.

So, I searched for a better tool that you can actually make a game with, and I found rpgmaker.

19. Nimbus

Nimbus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A long loooong time ago I stumbled upon a Dragon Ball GT fangame about Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world and found out that it was created in a program called RPG Maker 95. I tried it out, didn't really understand what I was doing, and moved on. I later discovered that a '2000' version of the engine had been made and I gave that one a try. I've been in love with the software ever since!

20. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    When I was 9, 12 years ago, my mom mentioned she had borrowed RPG Maker for the ps1 and tried it but couldn't figure it out. I asked her to get it for me but she said it was too hard. Then when I was 11 i managed to download an unnoficial translation of Sim RPG Maker 95, I was on the fifth grade and made a shitty game about my school friends that had 5 minutes gameplay and the most amusing part was what they said when they died. Then when I was 12 I downloaded rm2k and started playing around with it and making a Parasite Eve remake because my PE disc had scratched. Shortly after I got into the communities, around 2009 I got active on RpgMaker.Net and that's the beginning of my modern times. When I got my first job one of the first things I did was buy all rpg makers I had illegally used until then rofl and now I own ALL OF THEM MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M THE RPG MAKER LORD 

On an interesting note, I have to thank my English knowledge, as well as my 3 cambridge certificates and my 2 years teaching english to Rpgmaker.net and other rpg maker sites for their wonderful articles and tutorials, as well as RPGs for teaching me so much about English. XD

I would try to understand everything with a dictionary at hand, when I got 12 or so I could communicate minimally and as 14 yrs old I could pick fights on Rpgmaker.net because I thought 'gross' meant 'unpolite' etc and used it as a word to react to harsh criticism on my work. rofl.

Good times.

kaukusaki likes this.